The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I was reliably informed by a close friend of Mark Russell, that he was badly affected by his move to Hearts falling through. That coincided with his personal issues and dip in form. Good to see he’s not blaming Morton for that and is willing to give it another go.

I wish Russell well and hope he’s a better player than the confused looking boy he was when he left... but he’s clearly been signed as a squad player.

If he plays well and forces himself into the first team - great, that’s a win.

If he doesn’t, we have cover for Strapp and won’t have to resort to sticking Muirhead or the ghost of Sean McGinty out there - which is a very big win.

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Russell was a first pick in a far better Morton side than this one. If he can recreate the pace, strength and skill levels he had then, he’ll be a first pick again, and probably the best player in the squad.

I totally get the impulse to back our players, especially those who came through our own youth system... but really, if Mark Russell turns out anywhere near one of our best players, we’ll get relegated.

Let’s just hope he does a job when called on.

44 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I totally get the impulse to back our players, especially those who came through our own youth system... but really, if Mark Russell turns out anywhere near one of our best players, we’ll get relegated.

I get your point. I just hope there are at least a couple of guality signings to come.

20 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Care to run past us the evidence and process of logic by which you reached your conclusion? 

1 hour ago, Branch Ton said:

Care to run past us the evidence and process of logic by which you reached your conclusion? 

Don’t think it’s difficult, tbh: Russell deteriorated in the transition from ‘youth’ to grown-up professional footballer (not entirely his own fault), was deemed surplus to requirements at, eh, Falkirk, and then played for a team struggling towards the foot of the table in Ireland.

Put that together with the fact that last year’s squad came within a baw hair of going down and it’s fairly obvious that if we don’t sign better players in positions where they’re needed (i.e. not LB, where we have Strapp), we’ll be weaker... and likely to go down.

I wish him well, but believe (and hope) he’s a squad player. As I said, if he turns out better than that, it’s a win (and, if he doesn’t, we’ve got cover for Strapp we didn’t have last year).

We need another four, minimum, who’ll strengthen the first team (and maybe another two or three in the same category as Russell).

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Don’t think it’s difficult, tbh: Russell deteriorated in the transition from ‘youth’ to grown-up professional footballer (not entirely his own fault), was deemed surplus to requirements at, eh, Falkirk, and then played for a team struggling towards the foot of the table in Ireland.

Put that together with the fact that last year’s squad came within a baw hair of going down and it’s fairly obvious that if we don’t sign better players in positions where they’re needed (i.e. not LB, where we have Strapp), we’ll be weaker... and likely to go down.

I wish him well, but believe (and hope) he’s a squad player. As I said, if he turns out better than that, it’s a win (and, if he doesn’t, we’ve got cover for Strapp we didn’t have last year).

We need another four, minimum, who’ll strengthen the first team (and maybe another two or three in the same category as Russell).

We’re all entitled to our opinions, hence the existence of forums. However I think it’s a bit harsh to write the player off before he’s played a game. I’ll stick my neck out and say he won’t be here as cover, he’ll be in the first eleven, either at LB, LWB or LM. If he’s competing with Blues for a place I know who my money’s on.

51 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

We’re all entitled to our opinions, hence the existence of forums. However I think it’s a bit harsh to write the player off before he’s played a game. I’ll stick my neck out and say he won’t be here as cover, he’ll be in the first eleven, either at LB, LWB or LM. If he’s competing with Blues for a place I know who my money’s on.

Given that Blues has never played LB, LWB, or LM you're not really saying anything here...

28 minutes ago, virginton said:

^^^ idiot found

Whenever you point the finger there are three (count ‘em) fingers pointing straight back at you.. Which just might prove to be very  appropriate in this instance.

I wonder who will represent Morton at tomorrow's meeting of all SPFL clubs to discuss league reconstruction/old firm colt teams?

I understand that it seems to have just snuck up today again but this is something which I believe they should be consulting MCT members on. 

4 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Woah... where exactly did I ‘write him off’?

14 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I have alWays thought there was innate ability there and that what went awry was attitude and application. Should be much easier to work on that in the way that McGinn , and maybe Gus, seem to have influenced Muirhead rather sign  the talentless athletes like Salkeld that Hoppy seems to favour.

7 hours ago, #Gary said:

I wonder who will represent Morton at tomorrow's meeting of all SPFL clubs to discuss league reconstruction/old firm colt teams?

I understand that it seems to have just snuck up today again but this is something which I believe they should be consulting MCT members on. 

I don't think it's the type of thing that really needs consultation. I'd presume 95% of folk are against it so I'd presume MCT will be able to not f**k this up at least

35 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I don't think it's the type of thing that really needs consultation. 

It's not a point of need, it's a point of should.

Slippery slope if the anonymous blazers start just deciding they know what the fans want rather than consulting them.

On 25/06/2021 at 09:02, Branch Ton said:

I have alWays thought there was innate ability there and that what went awry was attitude and application. Should be much easier to work on that in the way that McGinn , and maybe Gus, seem to have influenced Muirhead rather sign  the talentless athletes like Salkeld that Hoppy seems to favour.

Yeah, there’s definite ability there... along with flaws and, even more so, question marks.

As I said, we were woefully short on options at LB/LWB last year, so I’m fairly happy we have an answer to that... and will be interested to see what he looks like after three years away.

5 hours ago, Colkitto said:

What on earth is happening with the take-over?  If nothing happens next week I will start to believe all is not well behind the scenes.

I have no idea, but you have to think there’s more to it - after nearly a month - than ‘HMRC-related formalities’.

Not sure I’m looking forward to finding out, tbh... but we need clarity very soon, for all sorts of reasons.

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Yeah, there’s definite ability there... along with flaws and, even more so, question marks.

As I said, we were woefully short on options at LB/LWB last year, so I’m fairly happy we have an answer to that... and will be interested to see what he looks like after three years away.

I think he mostly, if not entirely, played as a winger in Ireland.