The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

6 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I'll assume you're having a wee joke by comparing RB to CF or GK to FB to... shifting a forward across the front three in a 4-3-3? Most managers who play 4-3-3 want at least a couple of players who can play anywhere across the front three (nobody said 'winger').

The serious point is that if Imrie _doesn't_ see Roy as that 'anywhere across the front three' type of player, we almost certainly aren't getting anybody else in as a main striker. And that would be very bad.

I was indeed being flippant with that comparison, but I'd rather use Garrity as an alternative to Quitongo than Roy.

In any case we have tried to sign another striker, but it's not happening because a guy who was playing for a top flight club last season apparently can't get a work permit to sign for a Championship club.

565423495_Screenshot_20230116-175224_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.54c098ae45108899ee5e944ab6f73a87.jpg

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

And when did the _losing_ games start?

That's right, when Imrie started tinkering with the line-up.Causation or correlation? Who the f**k knows...

You apparently - until this climbdown to 'nobody really knows'. Were you expecting the team to never lose a single away game again? 🤡

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Bullet dodged IMHO. 

And a perfectly fair amd understandable opinion that is.

Personally, having seen us look for a striker since June, I would have been happy to give this one a try.

Still need to hope there is someone better out there then.

Don't want to have to rely on hoping that Robbie Muirhead's first ever career purple patch isn't over and will contine (improve actually) or Ally Roy. 

16 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I was indeed being flippant with that comparison, but I'd rather use Garrity as an alternative to Quitongo than Roy.

In any case we have tried to sign another striker, but it's not happening because a guy who was playing for a top flight club last season apparently can't get a work permit to sign for a Championship club.

Garrity in front of Roy won’t happen… you know that.

As for Ciftci… no thanks, but welcome confirmation we’re still after a striker.

4 minutes ago, RiG said:

Can't wait for him to suddenly become very good for you after a distinctly "meh" second stint with us.

Losing at home to Hamilton Accies with a George Oakley stunner.  Surely the worst result in Aberdeen's history.

Goals have dried up for him since leaving ICT the first time, but he’s an out-and-out centre forward, Imrie knows him, and it’s a permanent deal.

Cautiously optimistic.

A front line of Miller-Oakley-Quitongo, with Roy-Muirhead-McGrattan as options, is light years ahead of where we’ve been over recent years.

Another midfielder and we have an Actual Squad, capable of challenging in this league.

Happy enough with that. Someone you'd be comfortable having start games and can compete for a place with Muirhead, rather than Roy's more likely role of being a body to throw on for the last 10 minutes because the starting centre forward is done in and can't run.

Though he's not much of a goalscorer on his recent track record, Imrie's got a good record of turning players round while his first spell in Inverness and time at Hamilton suggest there's something to recapture.

Edited by Dunning1874

Don't really know a lot about him. But he's a forward with Premiership experience and that's something we were needing for a long while.

Imrie knows him and he's on a perm deal so quite happy with the signing. We now have options up front! 

33 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Don't really know a lot about him. But he's a forward with Premiership experience 

Did you write Douglas Rae's statements when we signed Kieran McAnespie as well?

All managers make poor signings - the trick is to get a good ratio of winners:donkeys - and for me the impressive business we have done was secured as soon as the window opened.

As the month has gone on, I've been progressively less impressed by our business. For me, signing Roy and Oakley is a waste of resources that could have been targeted at one more credible option. We do not need 'bodies in the door'.