The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Did you write Douglas Rae's statements when we signed Kieran McAnespie as well?

All managers make poor signings - the trick is to get a good ratio of winners:donkeys - and for me the impressive business we have done was secured as soon as the window opened.

As the month has gone on, I've been progressively less impressed by our business. For me, signing Roy and Oakley is a waste of resources that could have been targeted at one more credible option. We do not need 'bodies in the door'. 

Getting quality strikers in January is a tough ask...  He could potentially  be a decent signing. Dougie giving him next season as well shows you he has a lot of faith in him.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

All managers make poor signings - the trick is to get a good ratio of winners:donkeys - and for me the impressive business we have done was secured as soon as the window opened.

As the month has gone on, I've been progressively less impressed by our business. For me, signing Roy and Oakley is a waste of resources that could have been targeted at one more credible option. We do not need 'bodies in the door'. 

Bookmarked for future resurrection.  👍😁

Other fans have been a bit kinder in their comments on here but I’ll be honest - I thought Oakley was brutal to watch for us this season. Looked a shadow of the player he was first time round.

Hopefully Morton and Dougie Imrie can get him back to his best.

15 hours ago, virginton said:

Did you write Douglas Rae's statements when we signed Kieran McAnespie as well?

I agree with you on Roy and think Miller will prove to be an upgrade on Kabia on his few appearances so far, while our most impressive business was contract extensions for players already at the club, but I don't see what makes Miller an impressive signing and Oakley not based on their careers to date.

Miller's a player who had failed to stand out in loan spells in both the Premiership and Championship while at Celtic. After leaving for an English League Two club he struggled to keep his place and was loaned to the National League, then after signing for another National League club was released before making his way here. Oakley has lost his form in recent years, like Miller struggling in the National League as well as not delivering in the Championship this season, but it was only three years ago he left Hamilton having scored 8 goals in 36 Premiership appearances.

Neither are what you'd look as marquee signings which other clubs will be jealous of, but equally neither are comparable to someone with no pedigree to speak of like Roy. There's clearly something to work on with both of them and Oakley has a better track record of performing at this level or higher than Miller does, for all that there's a question mark of whether he can recapture his past form again.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

I agree with you on Roy and think Miller will prove to be an upgrade on Kabia on his few appearances so far, while our most impressive business was contract extensions for players already at the club, but I don't see what makes Miller an impressive signing and Oakley not based on their careers to date.

Miller's a player who had failed to stand out in loan spells in both the Premiership and Championship while at Celtic. After leaving for an English League Two club he struggled to keep his place and was loaned to the National League, then after signing for another National League club was released before making his way here. Oakley has lost his form in recent years, like Miller struggling in the National League as well as not delivering in the Championship this season, but it was only three years ago he left Hamilton having scored 8 goals in 36 Premiership appearances.

Neither are what you'd look as marquee signings which other clubs will be jealous of, but equally neither are comparable to someone with no pedigree to speak of like Roy. There's clearly something to work on with both of them and Oakley has a better track record of performing at this level or higher than Miller does, for all that there's a question mark of whether he can recapture his past form again.

There are hardly any signings this window, never mind a marquee signing.  A real lack of players at the moment.

Was interesting watching Sky Sports News last night with Gary Rowett (Millwall) and Ryan Lowe (Preston) talking about how clubs in the English Championship wont contemplate player trading with other clubs as there is a fear of strengthening other clubs in their respecting promotion/relegation battles as it is so tight. Oakley and Virtanen the only real ones of note so far in our league going from 1 play off rival to another, so far.

9 hours ago, scottbamby said:

Other fans have been a bit kinder in their comments on here but I’ll be honest - I thought Oakley was brutal to watch for us this season. Looked a shadow of the player he was first time round.

Hopefully Morton and Dougie Imrie can get him back to his best.

Going by his interview, it's clear something wasn't quite right for him at Inverness. He refused to say what, but said there was a few things going on which meant he had to leave.

I've seen a few comments on Twitter than he might not have been a Dodds signing and that Robertson brought him in so is it possible he simply didn't get on with Dodds, wasn't enjoying his football and that showed on the park?

See it time and time again how a footballer in the right environment, under a different manager can flourish when he was a bit of a lost cause at his previous club.  

I trust Dougie knows his qualities and believes he can get the best out of him,  time will tell.

17 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Not too hard to decipher the subtext of "Billy Dodds is a bellend" in some of these comments.

There have been rumours for a while about a few players being unhappy with Dodds so it's not too much of a surprise to hear these comments.

40,011 fans at Parkhead at the cup tie. A bigger crowd than many expected and presumably a bigger pay day for us.

I'll leave it to one of the 'experts' in these matters to do the calculations but it should hopefully give Dougie a bit more money for another signing.

6 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

40,011 fans at Parkhead at the cup tie. A bigger crowd than many expected and presumably a bigger pay day for us.

I'll leave it to one of the 'experts' in these matters to do the calculations but it should hopefully give Dougie a bit more money for another signing.

We get 37.5% of the gate (less half of the VAR cost). So could be somewhere in the region of £200k.

Plus £24k for TV and £19k prize money.

Edited by Jamie_M

Ally Roy has been signed as 'cover', 'short-term option', call it what you like; Oakley has almost certainly been signed as a first-choice in a position where we've been making do and mending. No comparison between the two.

It's also pretty clear that Oakley's just about as good as we were going to get in this market; we've been trying for months to sign someone in that position, so the idea that there are other things we could have done just doesn't stand up (I'll ignore the idea that we could bundle up the cost of the two and sign one 'better' player; just doesn't work that way).

I'm more and more inclined to think Oakley will make a real impact, upgrading our ability to play 4-3-3 with consistent attacking intent.

We'll find out soon enough...

13 hours ago, madton said:

Going by his interview, it's clear something wasn't quite right for him at Inverness. He refused to say what, but said there was a few things going on which meant he had to leave.

I've seen a few comments on Twitter than he might not have been a Dodds signing and that Robertson brought him in so is it possible he simply didn't get on with Dodds, wasn't enjoying his football and that showed on the park?

See it time and time again how a footballer in the right environment, under a different manager can flourish when he was a bit of a lost cause at his previous club.  

I trust Dougie knows his qualities and believes he can get the best out of him,  time will tell.

Billy Dodds is a bellend, don’t need George Oakley to tell us that! Totally agree something wasn’t right behind the scenes - Robbo had signed him before so possible Dodds didn’t fancy him.

This is one of the rare occasions I think Dodds has been correct though - Oakley looked absolutely miles off it any time he came on. Was worse than being a man down. Supposed to be a target man but he was just so passive. I can’t exaggerate how poor I thought he looked. I wonder if the leg break he suffered has taken it out of him?

That said, I’m sure he will inevitably bang them in for Morton as you pip us to the playoffs!

Imrie's said in his match preview that they're not sure on a timescale for Strapp's injury yet but it "could be weeks, could be months" and "hopefully not season ending". That's a massive blow if turns out to be as bad as feared.

Aye, not great. We had been braced for potentially losing him before the window closed but not in this way. Hopefully it's not quite so bad and we haven't seen the last of him in a Morton shirt.

We have been pretty fortunate with injuries so far this season up till now.

Good to see we are still in the market with a potential loan signing coming in.

Interesting to hear we were also in for Oakley in the summer but couldn't get a deal done. Back when Dougie was speaking out about the budget. 

17 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Imrie's said in his match preview that they're not sure on a timescale for Strapp's injury yet but it "could be weeks, could be months" and "hopefully not season ending". That's a massive blow if turns out to be as bad as feared.

I saw him go down in the first half on Saturday. Celtic got a corner and he bounced back off and tried to limp it off. I worried at the time that it didn't look wise, it looked a bad one and like he should have been staying down for treatment. No criticism here, though, I once tried to play on with torn ankle ligaments during a game of 7s (couldn't even feel my foot) never mind a Scottish Cup tie in front of 40,000 - actually, I tried to run off a torn calf muscle earlier this year, I'm certainly not wise when it comes to injuries. 

It's a big blow. He's such and all-rounder at left back. Proper full-back - we so seldom get those at our level. If he could improve his focus and marking work at set-pieces, then I'm sure he'd easily manage a step up or two.  

15 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Thoughts on Kabia?

Falkirk fans assured us there’s “something” there, not sure we saw any of it though. 

He’s still young though, and did well in League 1 before. 

On 25/01/2023 at 12:40, Jamie_M said:

We get 37.5% of the gate (less half of the VAR cost). So could be somewhere in the region of £200k.

Plus £24k for TV and £19k prize money.

Where did you get the prize money info from, out of interest?