The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

27 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Sadly from my view looked like he has broken his wrist.

Hope I am wrong but looked out of line with his arm.

If so will need an operation and might play with a cast after 6 weeks.

oh fek no....like I said...I thought he'd taken one in the coupon.

54 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Baird seemed to be holding his hand/wrist/arm area so hopefully there's nothing broken there as we do not have the defensive cover to replace him. 

Although in saying that I do know one centre back who's on the lookout for a pro contract.... 

O'Ware will not be welcome here and well you know it.

Edited by TONTROOPER

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Baird seemed to be holding his hand/wrist/arm area so hopefully there's nothing broken there as we do not have the defensive cover to replace him. 

Although in saying that I do know one centre back who's on the lookout for a pro contract.... 

I heard there was a team interested in him somewhere else. Maybe he should try there instead.

12 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

I was thinking the same with Dougie not doing the last few post and pre match interviews. Hopefully just overthinking 🙈🤣

I was hoping that he just went up the tunnel to check on Baird. Was noticeable that he wasn't on the park at the end.

12 hours ago, port-ton said:

You on about O’Ware? We nearly signed him last season when Duffy was here but he got his jotters before the window opened and the deal never went through. 

Thought he was happy going PT as he has a job at Troon. 

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You on about O’Ware? We nearly signed him last season when Duffy was here but he got his jotters before the window opened and the deal never went through. 

I think he's on about the Tiktok lad. I also thought O'Ware would be more than happy going PT at this stage in his career. Certainly won't be welcome back at Cappielow, anyway.

57 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Lewis Strapp - capable of making the step up to play top flight football regularly?

Rumour going about that he's on trial with us along with Jordan Marshall formerly of Dundee.

I'd say so. Certainly at the top end of Championship LBs and, I'd say, a fine fit for a bottom six (or the outlier like St Mirren). Won't turn into an Andy Robertson but would do well, week in, week out.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Lewis Strapp - capable of making the step up to play top flight football regularly?

Rumour going about that he's on trial with us along with Jordan Marshall formerly of Dundee.

He has all the attributes needed to make the step up but there's definitely a couple of question marks there. I get the impression that he didn't always follow Imrie's instructions and there's maybe a bit of a weak point over his defending at set pieces. 

You never know with players making the step up, but I think most Morton fans would think that Strapp is destined for the step up a division sooner rather than later. Imrie doesn't necessarily agree. 

21 hours ago, Toby said:

He openly admitted in one of the red tops prior to the final game of the season in 2018 that he’d chucked it that season and wasn’t giving his all, which isn’t what you want to hear from one of your senior players.

And after hearing rumours of signing for the likes of Hearts, taking a sideways step (which turned out to be a backwards step with them going down) to Partick didn’t exactly endear himself to the fans when we met again.

I think it’s fair to say he wasn’t the most popular amongst fans, teammates and staff even when things were going well for him at Morton as he generally carried (and still carries) the demeanour of a complete arsehole, but I suppose that’s just my opinion and perception of how others see him. I could be, but very much doubt that I’m wrong.

I see from the weekend that he’s still in the habit of bawling at his teammates when things go tits up, rather than accepting that he too might be responsible now and again.

New Central Park is one of these grounds where on a quiet afternoon against a team that doesn't bring a large travelling support you can hear things said on the park you wouldn't otherwise hear elsewhere. There are some players you become more familiar with than others, and whilst as a supporter I'm happy to have players like OWare in a Kelty defence, I'm not sure I'd be able to enjoy myself if he was in my five-a-side team. I'll leave it at that. 

I'm probably an outlier in the Morton support in that I think Strapps level is not much higher than a mid level championship team. Perhaps he could be a squad player for a title challenging team or a bottom six Premier league team but I'm not convinced he would pull up any trees. 

He's a hard wee b*****d and flies in to tackles etc so he's an easy player to like  but the higher he goes the more I'd worry about his height, speed, set piece defending and his ability to keep possession which can be erratic at best especially during times when he's not at peak confidence. 

I hope he goes on to prove me badly wrong though and has a excellent career. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery to thrive. 

33 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I'm probably an outlier in the Morton support in that I think Strapps level is not much higher than a mid level championship team. Perhaps he could be a squad player for a title challenging team or a bottom six Premier league team but I'm not convinced he would pull up any trees. 

He's a hard wee b*****d and flies in to tackles etc so he's an easy player to like  but the higher he goes the more I'd worry about his height, speed, set piece defending and his ability to keep possession which can be erratic at best especially during times when he's not at peak confidence. 

I hope he goes on to prove me badly wrong though and has a excellent career. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery to thrive. 

I know hes been training with the squad during pre-season but apart from that I dont think Lewis has played since he picked up his injury which was a long time ago.

17 hours ago, port-ton said:

I think that is a fair assessment of what he brings to a team.

Over the years Morton have lost a few goals form his area and hence why Dougie felt no great need to renew his contract.

That said he is still maturing and probably needed a change that gives him new challenges and a opportunity to mature as a left back.

So could go either way, new coaching and development resulting in a successful period in the SPL or ends with a bit part and moves on again next year but worth a shot I would say. Best luck to the boy for all his effort for the Ton over the last few years.

Edited by Paisley Ton
Why not

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

He recently took the head coach job at our reserves (or Young Queen's Park to give them their proper name) so I doubt he's involved with Troon anymore, nor could he realistically go full time.

I think Strapp needs fine tuning don’t get me wrong, but other than height he’s probably got all the natural tools needed to be an effective FB a level up. He’s certaibly worth a punt from someone over some of the more well known names out there.

I don't think he has the required attacking ability to be a capable top-flight full back in the modern game - Strapp is more of a throwback in his style of play.

Waters incidentally showed his worth last night in breaking down a stubborn, 4-1-4-1 outfit from the same full-back role. In the first half he was our most effective attacking threat. I think Strapp is stronger defending 1 v 1 but that's the difference in how the role is played and what Imrie wants from full backs. 

As a free agent I think any bottom six side would be wise to sign Strapp for cover if nothing else.

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

He recently took the head coach job at our reserves (or Young Queen's Park to give them their proper name) so I doubt he's involved with Troon anymore, nor could he realistically go full time.

Think that’s what he was doing at Troon so makes sense. I always thought he’d end up at Ayr one day given he’s from the area but can’t see it now. 

16 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I think Strapp needs fine tuning don’t get me wrong, but other than height he’s probably got all the natural tools needed to be an effective FB a level up. He’s certaibly worth a punt from someone over some of the more well known names out there.

He's the same height as Andy Robertson and a couple of inches taller than Greg Taylor. Since when was height a pre-requisite for a full back?