The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

39 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

He's the same height as Andy Robertson and a couple of inches taller than Greg Taylor. Since when was height a pre-requisite for a full back?

They’re both world/international class full backs though. Certain managers look for height in their defenders.

Strapp's height is not an issue. He's exactly the height you'd expect a left back to be. Maybe he seems shorter than he is because there is a weakness around his game in the air, but it's not his height. 

Some players are 6'6" and struggle to win high balls...

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Darragh running to the papers slating the pitch did anyone think it looked that bad ? 

Could have done with some water.

But grass looked good if just a bit long.

A bigger concern.

Just been told by BIL that Qp v QOS is sold out!!!!!

Looks like we will have ticket issues. Need update on expansion provisions for Championship clubs visiting.

Morton will probably have to ballot season ticket holders.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Darragh running to the papers slating the pitch did anyone think it looked that bad ? 

I'd be happier to believe a player who played on it than taking it on how it looked to fans as there are ways to cover up how bad it is. The pitch was awful against St Mirren so I can't imagine it's got much better in such a short space of time. 

Either way I'm sure there was a great feeling at cappielow this morning 😂

1 hour ago, Paisley Ton said:

A bigger concern.

Looks like we will have ticket issues. Need update on expansion provisions for Championship clubs visiting.

Every Morton fan that wants a ticket for QP away will get one.

2 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

A bigger concern.

You're aware that both of our games against QP will be in Hampden, right?

QP v QotS is at Lesser, hence the issues.

12 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

You're aware that both of our games against QP will be in Hampden, right?

QP v QotS is at Lesser, hence the issues.

No missed that was confirmed. 

But still in my preseason mode. 

15 hours ago, port-ton said:

I'd be happier to believe a player who played on it than taking it on how it looked to fans as there are ways to cover up how bad it is. The pitch was awful against St Mirren so I can't imagine it's got much better in such a short space of time. 

Either way I'm sure there was a great feeling at cappielow this morning 😂

I can only imagine what he would have thought of the state of the pitch a couple of years ago 🙈

The pitch was very sticky, that's for sure. Pretty much every ball was worth chasing down because it was holding up on the bounce. Tbh, though, the only real issue looked like it could have done with being watered. There didn't seem to be much else wrong with the way the ball moved about or how the players dealt with the ball. The pitch has seemed increasingly bumpy in recent years, perhaps the damage of overuse at times, but it's tough to see what the specific issue is. 

In any case, it wasn't the best idea to say things like that to the paper. Doesn't seem like the brightest move. 

On 19/07/2023 at 11:54, AyrshireTon said:

I was hoping that he just went up the tunnel to check on Baird. Was noticeable that he wasn't on the park at the end.

He did the post match yesterday . Generally positive and upbeat but giving is the news we didn't want that Jack Baird is out for two months. He said what we all know, that we need someone in pronto.

5 hours ago, Mr Toon said:

He did the post match yesterday . Generally positive and upbeat but giving is the news we didn't want that Jack Baird is out for two months. He said what we all know, that we need someone in pronto.

Going by what Dougie said about getting more than 1 player in he isn’t so sure the funds aren’t available going to be looking at the loan market 

5 hours ago, Mr Toon said:

It's amazing how we can all view content so differently as I just seen pure frustration from Dougie and reading between the lines, all is  not well.

4 minutes ago, madton said:

It's amazing how we can all view content so differently as I just seen pure frustration from Dougie and reading between the lines, all is  not well.

Very conflicting views of the current situation causing confusion, which I find very disappointing given we are a fan owned club that was committed to transparency and keeping us all up to date.

Not looking for minute detail on finances but ffs let us know if the budget has been cut or can we bring in more players!  

I’m not hearing anything too worrying from Imrie post-match: he’s frustrated we got beat, frustrated the winner is such a bad goal, and frustrated to lose Baird; but the chat about players coming in shouldn’t be taken too literally… ‘one or two’ is just a way of saying ‘more’, and ‘certainly one’ means ‘another defender, immediately’.

Still think we’ll see three or four more by the end of August, including loans.

Most likely scenario, I would imagine, is that we have to go for loans or freebies in September/October (i.e. Ambrose and Grimshaw).

Most other sides in the league will have settled on their squads by then and we'll get the last pick. Although, if we're lucky again, that won't be a huge problem.

Losing Baird leaves us really short, obviously, but if Do'C or KB pick up an injury we're beat.