The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

My understanding is that Imrie wasn’t interested in re-signing Strapp at the wage level his agent had presumably communicated; no suggestion he didn’t think he was good enough (although maybe he just preferred Waters).

But Lewis Strapp is a left-back… there’s no way we’re spending wages on both him and Waters.

As for Wilson, I think the truth lies somewhere in between: he’s far from being a bad player, but he was in and out during his last spell… and we now have Gillespie and Power.

Also… he’s never a defender. We badly need a couple of defenders.

3 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

Not exactly. Dougie allegedly told him that he didn't fit into his plans for the forthcoming season. His contract wasn't renewed as a direct result of that conversation. Allegedly.

FWIW - I (along with a vast pile of other Morton supporters) thought that Lewis Strapp was a key player. Always solid, and his long throws were usually as good as a corner. I'd personally be over the moon to see him back - but realistically I don't think it's likely. Can you imagine the conversation?

Dougie - "Yeah - I fucked you off - but we're in a hole and we need you back ........"

Lewis - " ................. "

I agree it's a bit unlikely and would be a rather awkward conversation, but if Strapp and the team are both 'in a hole' it helps both parties.

Of course, it wouldn't be very Imrie of Imrie to change his mind like such.

15 hours ago, Morton Supporter said:

I hate to come on here to be negative, I really do have faith in Imrie and think he could take us up with a bit of luck.

But Iain Wilson is right up there amongst the worst players I’ve ever seen at Morton - certainly his performance away to Hamilton is amongst the worst I’ve ever seen.

He was slow, unfit and completely bereft of confidence: I can’t imagine any of that is different now that his club - in the league below us no less - is allowing him to go out on loan.

You're off your head and/or didn't watch Wilson last time around. Good player who I was very surprised to see choose QoS over us when he left.

15 hours ago, Morton Supporter said:

I hate to come on here to be negative, I really do have faith in Imrie and think he could take us up with a bit of luck.

But Iain Wilson is right up there amongst the worst players I’ve ever seen at Morton - certainly his performance away to Hamilton is amongst the worst I’ve ever seen.

He was slow, unfit and completely bereft of confidence: I can’t imagine any of that is different now that his club - in the league below us no less - is allowing him to go out on loan.

He overhit passes long, he gave the ball away when trying short passes, opposition midfielders got by him with ease. I feel Gillespie is nearing his last legs and not yet impressed by Power so I’m not against another midfielder per se - but this guy doesn’t belong on a fitba pitch.

As others have said though, defenders are the priority, Saturday gave some alarm bells. But the idea Wilson is a fullback is laughable.

If his supposed versatility is what’s sold Imrie on him - why not Strapp who’s been around the ground and still without a club? He can obviously play left back and played centre back many times. With his attitude I’d also take him at right back or midfield over Wilson, if there were not other options.

You sobered up yet?

Once fit, Wilson was a good player for us and one of the main reasons we stayed up that season.

Not impressed by Power, there are no words for this one. You can literally see his class when he came on against Ayr. Where you there?

Strapp versatile? He's a lb and lb only.

Bin fire of an opinion that.

12 hours ago, 101 said:

Hadn't realised he was too old to be included in a development fee, seems pretty poor for Morton to let what was a good prospect leave for nothing albeit they will know best about his injury.

We didnt really have any other option. No one was interested in paying the development fee the season before last so Strapp was "forced" to sign on again with us for 1 year which meant he could leave for nothing this summer.

It seems quite unusual to loan a player from a lower league, but QoS seem to have a fairly large squad and we lack depth. Not terribly excited by Wilson but not bothered either - he did alright after he got settled and his goal against Dunfermline on that Friday night game was memorable, if just for how bad the goalkeeping was.

59 minutes ago, Mon eh Ton said:

It seems quite unusual to loan a player from a lower league, but QoS seem to have a fairly large squad and we lack depth. Not terribly excited by Wilson but not bothered either - he did alright after he got settled and his goal against Dunfermline on that Friday night game was memorable, if just for how bad the goalkeeping was.

I have never seen a ball hit from so far out with so little pace beat a goalkeeper like that.  I had time to go and make a cup of tea after he hit the ball and get back in time to see the ball roll in slowly just inside the post.  It really was like watching in slow motion.

1 hour ago, Offshore Rover said:

It’s a good job not one single Morton fan has ever complained about a penalty going against them because of a dive, they would look really really silly right now if they had 

VAR never wrong. Dry your eyes darling.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don’t think you know what “seethe” means.

I'm guessing it's an east coast thing....

Edit to add..

I forgot I'll be wearing my Cliftonville beanie soon so I'll nip over for some education...

Edited by Bob in Denny

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That surely wasn’t a Morton player diving for a penalty? 😂

VAR confirmation of Morton's clear penalty award today. ✅

Mewling apology received by Morton from SFA refereeing chief Crawford Allan for officials being conned by Raith's proven cheats last Saturday. ✅

Raith fans like yourself still being drooling simpletons. ✅ 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

VAR confirmation of Morton's clear penalty award today. ✅

Mewling apology received by Morton from SFA refereeing chief Crawford Allan for officials being conned by Raith's proven cheats last Saturday. ✅

Raith fans like yourself still being drooling simpletons. ✅ 

Good to see you’re back from your ban for wishing death on a footballer. Pond life. 

8 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Good to see you’re back from your ban for wishing death on a footballer. Pond life. 

Good to see you're still a pearl-clutching moron. And there's no time expiry on that.