The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

7 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Something happened? Like what? 

No idea, but Imrie made a wee guarded remark in one of his interviews that made me think something wasn’t quite right.

And it’s a total mystery how we can suddenly go from being so well organised and committed to a team that gets turned over most weeks without the opposition needing to do much.

I don’t feel the risk of the manager being poached should make that much of a difference. Ultimately, anyone that’s consistently good here won’t be here long. If Imrie receives a better opportunity than we can currently offer, I’ve already made peace with the fact he’ll likely accept it. 

I would say our current issues are much more down to recruitment (or lack of it), questionable selections, and just being found out a bit without a functioning right side - rather than any ‘the players have chucked’ it stuff.

4 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I don’t feel the risk of the manager being poached should make that much of a difference. Ultimately, anyone that’s consistently good here won’t be here long. If Imrie receives a better opportunity than we can currently offer, I’ve already made peace with the fact he’ll likely accept it. 

I would say our current issues are much more down to recruitment (or lack of it), questionable selections, and just being found out a bit without a functioning right side - rather than any ‘the players have chucked’ it stuff.

There does seem to be a lot less fight in the players as compared to last season, but aye, can't say I disagree with anything you've said here.

Recruitment has been the issue.

23 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

And it’s a total mystery how we can suddenly go from being so well organised and committed to a team that gets turned over most weeks without the opposition needing to do much.

It was The Rangers you were playing.

Mystery solved.

On 02/10/2023 at 12:41, TheGoon said:

Imrie is guilty of cronyism and ageism. Someone needs to vet his recruitment policy and oversee the development of younger players. If the likes of Joe Jordan, Joe Harper, Neil McNab we’re here now they too would be shunted out on loan never to return.  Whoever decided to sanction Imrie’s recruitment of Broadfoot , out of obscurity, and Power is should be kicked up the arse. It’s utter bollocks that we can’t give younger players like McGrattan a regular place,

19 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

There does seem to be a lot less fight in the players as compared to last season, but aye, can't say I disagree with anything you've said here.

Recruitment has been the issue.

I don't know if I would say the players lack fight. They got stuck right in on Saturday, at least until they all seemed to run out of steam. We huffed and puffed but when you only manage to put 1 of your 13 shots on target you're never going to win games of football. Oakley, Quitongo, Gillespie, French etc. will all reach full fitness eventually and we should have more than enough to stay up. Unfortunately, as Dougie said, with a squad as small as ours you need everyone to be more than capable of playing their part when called upon, they're clearly not. Already starting to become too late to reach last seasons heights, 2 or 3 good signings and we'll comfortably stay up, probably as good as we'll get this season.

2 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Imrie is guilty of cronyism and ageism. Someone needs to vet his recruitment policy and oversee the development of younger players. If the likes of Joe Jordan, Joe Harper, Neil McNab we’re here now they too would be shunted out on loan never to return.  Whoever decided to sanction Imrie’s recruitment of Broadfoot , out of obscurity, and Power is should be kicked up the arse. It’s utter bollocks that we can’t give younger players like McGrattan a regular place,

Joe Jordan, Joe Harper, Neil McNab… Lewis McGregor and Lewis McGrattan!

There’s a point there to be made, but you’ve totally fucked it by allowing your obvious dislike for Imrie to translate into hysterical nonsense.

On 03/10/2023 at 16:09, The Ghost of B A R P said:

There’s a point there to be made, but you’ve totally fucked it by allowing your obvious dislike for Imrie to translate into hysterical nonsense.

Well he is clearly not the brightest bulb in the box if he didn’t understand the anti betting rules.  

On 03/10/2023 at 13:15, Ferguson said:

I don't know if I would say the players lack fight. They got stuck right in on Saturday, at least until they all seemed to run out of steam. We huffed and puffed but when you only manage to put 1 of your 13 shots on target you're never going to win games of football. Oakley, Quitongo, Gillespie, French etc. will all reach full fitness eventually and we should have more than enough to stay up. Unfortunately, as Dougie said, with a squad as small as ours you need everyone to be more than capable of playing their part when called upon, they're clearly not. Already starting to become too late to reach last seasons heights, 2 or 3 good signings and we'll comfortably stay up, probably as good as we'll get this season.

Mostly agree with this - the closest parallel might be with Arbroath's slump from two seasons ago to last season. The fundamentals of the squad haven't changed too much, but absences and some dud signings are having a negative impact. 

The difference however is that if Inverness/QP add a few capable players to their squad then we'd already be looking at a fair gap to close to the midfield pack. We have also squandered far too many of our 'should win' home games before the halfway point.  Unless we can reverse the damage by getting away wins, it will likely take some time for us to recover into the midtable pack. Airdrie, Arbroath away etc. are all now huge games before the turn of the year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well a bit of a confidence booster and much needed before ICT come visiting.

What a hit from Robbie that will frighten ICT from giving away any fouls within 40 yards from goal. Hope those who missed it will get a chance to catch it on Utube.

Old failing did show up again so Dougie is well warned who not to pick.

Mixed feelings about the last two games: on one hand, we've got results and conceded far fewer goals; on the other, Imrie seems to have decided to pick the eleven players he trusts most, then find a formation to fit them into... Power and Gillespie without Robbie Crawford directly in front of them aginst QP, then Power and Gillespie (again), Robbie restored... but Blues out on the left!

Imrie will argue that it's worked, but we've looked shocking at times in both games (particularly the half hour after we scored on Saturday). I think he needs to get back to 4-3-3 for the tougher challenge against ICT, with Gillespie, Blues, and Crawford in the middle, Muirhead on the left, A. N. Other on the right (probably McGrattan until Jai is back).

McDonald-French-Baird-O'Connor-Waters-Gillespie-Blues-Crawford-Quitongo-Oakley-Muirhead is our best team. For now, just fill in like for like (as far as is possible) for the guys who are missing from that, but stick to the basic shape.

In the long run that gives us a bench of Mullen-Harkness-Broadfoot-Power-Wilson-Bearne-Boyd-McGrattan... not too bad when you see some of those names listed as subs, as opposed to starters (although the balance of starters to subs among the new signings confirms that the summer recruitment has been only passable, at best).

If we get that team on the park most weeks, we'll be nowhere near relegation; if we don't, we'll need to sign another couple of players called Robbie in January...

Footnote on Power: he's either carrying an injury (probable) or he's completely done (possible); watching him struggle against lower-league opposition on Saturday was painful.

Footnote on Bearne: worth persisting with, I think. He has ability and a bit of pace, but his confidence is clearly shot to pieces in the face of the reality of grown-up, no-time-on-the-ball football. His head was literally on his chest at times on Saturday.

Footnote on Boyd: I have no idea. He's either another one whose confidence is shot... or we've signed a complete dud.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

On 03/10/2023 at 13:11, Branch Ton said:

Do f**k up and f**k off. 

20 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Mixed feelings about the last two games: on one hand, we've got results and conceded far fewer goals; on the other, Imrie seems to have decided to pick the eleven players he trusts most, then find a formation to fit them into... Power and Gillespie without Robbie Crawford directly in front of them aginst QP, then Power and Gillespie (again), Robbie restored... but Blues out on the left!

Imrie will argue that it's worked, but we've looked shocking at times in both games (particularly the half hour after we scored on Saturday). I think he needs to get back to 4-3-3 for the tougher challenge against ICT, with Gillespie, Blues, and Crawford in the middle, Muirhead on the left, A. N. Other on the right (probably McGrattan until Jai is back).

McDonald-French-Baird-O'Connor-Waters-Gillespie-Blues-Crawford-Quitongo-Oakley-Muirhead is our best team. For now, just fill in like for like (as far as is possible) for the guys who are missing from that, but stick to the basic shape.

In the long run that gives us a bench of Mullen-Harkness-Broadfoot-Power-Wilson-Bearne-Boyd-McGrattan... not too bad when you see some of those names listed as subs, as opposed to starters (although the balance of starters to subs among the new signings confirms that the summer recruitment has been only passable, at best).

If we get that team on the park most weeks, we'll be nowhere near relegation; if we don't, we'll need to sign another couple of players called Robbie in January...

Footnote on Power: he's either carrying an injury (probable) or he's completely done (possible); watching him struggle against lower-league opposition on Saturday was painful.

Footnote on Bearne: worth persisting with, I think. He has ability and a bit of pace, but his confidence is clearly shot to pieces in the face of the reality of grown-up, no-time-on-the-ball football. His head was literally on his chest at times on Saturday.

Footnote on Boyd: I have no idea. He's either another one whose confidence is shot... or we've signed a complete dud.

Agree on Power. I think he is done and needs benched ASAP. That or could he play at centre back? Having the game in front of him may help.

On bearne - there's a player in there and he has ability but he lacks any confidence at all. Tough one to get back if he isn't getting more game time.

Boyd I'd say is also one to persist with ( I know I'll be in the minority) . He started the season well and was direct, taking men on and driving into the box or getting the ball into the box. I don't think he's been as bad as others have made out this season and has become this seasons target for the boo boys.

Imrie's whole recruitment strategy since coming in has been to sign players who've got talent there but have lost their way a bit, Muirhead, Crawford, Quitongo etc. were all shot of confidence and out of options when they came in and would now get into most teams in the league. That's just the way we have to operate with our budget constraints. I can accept that we're always going to end up with a few duds shopping in that market but Imrie really has to try something else, Power and Gillespie aren't up to it and we seen in the second half on Saturday that we have the players available to leave them out now. 

Boyd and Bearne are 2 that I'd like to see us persist with also, both have shown flashes of being capable of playing their part but have some work to do before they're up to scratch.