The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Booing O'Ware is a joke really. Daft lads who can't let a bit of overspill from Ayr go.

Get it up everyone who booed him. Captains the Famous to an historic semi final. Inspirational.

For clarity on the Tam O'Ware issue.  Both he and the manager had shouts of "F****n B****rd" directed at them at Ayr from a person or persons in the Morton support.  That is why Tam was so upset and reacted and also why the chairman decided, rightly or wrongly, to speak out.  Nobody believes or expects that players are immune from criticism when they do not play well but sectarian abuse is not and never has been part of Greenock Morton and should not be tolerated.  For me, anyone masquerading as a Morton fan who indulges in that should be banned - they are not welcome at Cappielow.

For clarity on the Tam O'Ware issue.  Both he and the manager had shouts of "F****n B****rd" directed at them at Ayr from a person or persons in the Morton support.  That is why Tam was so upset and reacted and also why the chairman decided, rightly or wrongly, to speak out.  Nobody believes or expects that players are immune from criticism when they do not play well but sectarian abuse is not and never has been part of Greenock Morton and should not be tolerated.  For me, anyone masquerading as a Morton fan who indulges in that should be banned - they are not welcome at Cappielow.

I assume if O'Ware was so upset about it he reported the sectarian abuse to the club or police?

Whilst the whole thing seems a bit dramatic and petty (from the outside), why is he alienting himself from ALL supporters because of the actions of about 2 folk? Also is there any need for the chairman to address all Morton fans in the programme because one or two fans shouted bad things at a player? Seems like they created this big drama themselves tbh.

28 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

Allegedly, of course.

That's quite an accusation to make without any evidence to support it.

7 minutes ago, Toby said:

Allegedly, of course.

That's quite an accusation to make without any evidence to support it.

It would explain a lot. Tam is Catholic and has recently been demonised on social media by Morton fans for tweeting about Celtic (everyone is entitled to support who they want, even footballers) while Morton were in a bit of a rut. However it is an unfounded accusation, only Tam/Duffy/supporters closest to the incident will know what was really said.

2 weeks on from the incident he's captained the side to a major semi, maybe that tells a tale on where his loyalties and commitment lies.

1 hour ago, Tonsilitis said:

Why does that version of events bear no resemblance to the Chairman's statement?

If it was the case that one or two morons shouted a sectarian slur - enough to make the Chairman have to speak out - why was no reference made to this? A singular statement (online immediately after the match, not just in the program) about '1 or 2 idiots shouting sectarian insults and not being tolerated' would have been the right statement, including lines about 'we have reported it' 'trying to identify the culprits' and 'will be banned'. Issue tackled head on - club showing they are actively dealing with it.

Instead, the chairman puts out a generalised statement (in the program where it's unlikely to reach the intended targets you mention) about vitriol, the 'booing element' and the calls for Jim to be sacked, making no reference to the alleged issue in hand and comes across as a 'please don't be mean to us' plea rather than a 'there's been an incident' statement. The press pick it up as 'Chairman hits out at nasty boo boys' and a wedge has been driven between the club and larger sections of the fanbase

Why does that version of events bear no resemblance to the Chairman's statement?

If it was the case that one or two morons shouted a sectarian slur - enough to make the Chairman have to speak out - why was no reference made to this? A singular statement (online immediately after the match, not just in the program) about '1 or 2 idiots shouting sectarian insults and not being tolerated' would have been the right statement, including lines about 'we have reported it' 'trying to identify the culprits' and 'will be banned'. Issue tackled head on - club showing they are actively dealing with it.

Instead, the chairman puts out a generalised statement (in the program where it's unlikely to reach the intended targets you mention) about vitriol, the 'booing element' and the calls for Jim to be sacked, making no reference to the alleged issue in hand and comes across as a 'please don't be mean to us' plea rather than a 'there's been an incident' statement. The press pick it up as 'Chairman hits out at nasty boo boys' and a wedge has been driven between the club and larger sections of the fanbase

Good post

52 minutes ago, AyrWeGo said:

It would explain a lot. Tam is Catholic and has recently been demonised on social media by Morton fans for tweeting about Celtic (everyone is entitled to support who they want, even footballers) while Morton were in a bit of a rut. However it is an unfounded accusation, only Tam/Duffy/supporters closest to the incident will know what was really said.

2 weeks on from the incident he's captained the side to a major semi, maybe that tells a tale on where his loyalties and commitment lies.

That's not the point I'm making though. It was a very poorly worded post from Tonsilitis.

He, and those within the club doubtless believe the accounts of the incident from O'Ware and Duffy, but to state categorically that they were the victims of a crime is foolish and potentially slanderous. Jamie's outlined what the correct approach should've been from those who feel wronged within Morton. This doesn't include the chairman directing his message to the support as a whole in the match programme, a director stating on P&B that an incident took place without evidence (not alleging), the player concerned posting, and subsequently deleting, on Twitter and Facebook a go at the fans after Saturday's win then shepherding his teammates away from the shed after scoring last night's goal.

I don't doubt that he wants to succeed for Morton, but it also appears that he's wanting to create, or continue, a "them and us" divide between the players and the fans which is healthy for nobody.

If someone has abused him then that can't be excused, but in the same breath, O'Ware's behaviour over the last few days, in spite of two good results hasn't done him any favours with those who certainly didn't abuse him. It's about time he grew up and stopped acting like a spoilt little brat.

3 minutes ago, Toby said:

That's not the point I'm making though. It was a very poorly worded post from Tonsilitis.

He, and those within the club doubtless believe the accounts of the incident from O'Ware and Duffy, but to state categorically that they were the victims of a crime is foolish and potentially slanderous. Jamie's outlined what the correct approach should've been from those who feel wronged within Morton. This doesn't include the chairman directing his message to the support as a whole in the match programme, a director stating on P&B that an incident took place without evidence (not alleging), the player concerned posting, and subsequently deleting, on Twitter and Facebook a go at the fans after Saturday's win then shepherding his teammates away from the shed after scoring last night's goal.

I don't doubt that he wants to succeed for Morton, but it also appears that he's wanting to create, or continue, a "them and us" divide between the players and the fans which is healthy for nobody.

If someone has abused him then that can't be excused, but in the same breath, O'Ware's behaviour over the last few days, in spite of two good results hasn't done him any favours with those who certainly didn't abuse him. It's about time he grew up and stopped acting like a spoilt little brat.

The beginning of the downfall for Mark Roberts at Ayr (not just his inept management) was a statement he made after a second confrontation with fans. Along the lines of I don't care if they don't like me, I have my own friends. That was the beginning of the end for someone who was adored as a player. He needed to retract what he said/apologise/or hold a clear they air talk at a fans forum. He did none of the above and that may be something Tam has to do, whether it would happen, I'm not so sure. 

If not then he's more than welcome at Ayr :rolleyes:

I don't care whether Tam is catholic, protestant, muslim, atheist, humanist, or Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  He always gives 100% for Morton and appears to enjoy playing for the club, and he is a decent player for us.  If he was subjected to abuse as claimed, no wonder he lost the rag.  I know we do have a (fairly small) minority in our support who inhabit a lost world where abuse of a sectarian or racist nature is still routine.  Time they learnt it's not the 1960s any more.  Or the 1690s for that matter.  Leave that sort of nonsense to the ugly sisters.  If it happens again, Tam, just Cantona the idiots. :)

6 minutes ago, Wren Road said:

I am entirely convinced that is a fable made by Oware to act the victim. He'll be on the bench soon anyway, shouting at your own fans is career suicide. He's a p***k

Convinced by what exactly, the voices in your head or what you saw and heard at the match?

Tam is a fans favourite imo... and he's potentially alienating himself on the basis of a few fannies in the support. As Alibi suggests ...by supporting Morton we have mainly rejected any association with the OF and their sectarian baggage. Like all supports - we have our quota of roasters... no more or less than any other team in Scotland.

If you want to tar us all with the same brush Tam, carry on son - but you will be the eventual loser. I give you this advice because you are still one of my favourite players and will always support you when wearing the real hoops.

4 hours ago, GiGi said:

Booing O'Ware is a joke really. Daft lads who can't let a bit of overspill from Ayr go.

Get it up everyone who booed him. Captains the Famous to an historic semi final. Inspirational.

Get him to f**k before the semi. 

A heroic post otherwise.  You do realise that Tam holds you,  myself and several hundred other Morton fans in total contempt even though we had nothing to do with the incident at Ayr?  

The only daft lad here is Thomas O'Ware.