The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

9 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Bit of a red neck saying Tam is a daft wee boy and shouldn't be upset at a bit of booing etc then being precious enough to hold a grudge against him because of a tweet and celebrating with another side of the stadium.

Both are as bad as each other.

Aye maybe I am being petty but seeing as I wasn't even at Ayr and Tam has stuck 2 fingers up at the entire fanbase due to abuse from one person I've a right to be.  I'm prepared to draw a line under it but it's been well over a week and O'Ware still won't let it go.  He's continuing to make a rod for his own back.

There is absolutely no evidence that O'Ware was doing anything other than celebrating with his manager. A common place thing in football. If you're having a go for that then you're looking for things that might not even be there and that's more than petty. It's fucking pathetic.

Just now, LargsTON said:

Aye maybe I am being petty but seeing as I wasn't even at Ayr and Tam has stuck 2 fingers up at the entire fanbase due to abuse from one person I've a right to be.  I'm prepared to draw a line under it but it's been well over a week and O'Ware still won't let it go.  He's continuing to make a rod for his own back.

I wouldn't say he still won't let it go. So he went and celebrated with another section of Morton fans last night, so what? that's his prerogative and those fans are as entitled to celebrate with the players as anyone in the Cowshed. From what i saw he clapped the Cowshed before and after the game, which for me puts an end to the whole thing. He doesn't have to come in and individually kiss everyone in there.

He did something stupid last week in the heat of the moment after it had obviously been bothering him all week, then subsequently deleted it, then in the first game since then he went out and gave absolutely everything for his club and scored the winning goal in one of the biggest games in their modern history. 

When your feelings are hurt i'm sure every single one of us has lashed out at people who don't deserve it and regretted it later, especially in our early 20's so the guy deserves a break.

I can't help feel that if the people who still have an issue with Tam fell out with their mates for something  equally as petty they would be getting absolute pelters from them for being so ridiculous, and rightly so.

5 hours ago, Tonsilitis said:

For clarity on the Tam O'Ware issue.  Both he and the manager had shouts of "F****n B****rd" directed at them at Ayr from a person or persons in the Morton support.  That is why Tam was so upset and reacted and also why the chairman decided, rightly or wrongly, to speak out.  Nobody believes or expects that players are immune from criticism when they do not play well but sectarian abuse is not and never has been part of Greenock Morton and should not be tolerated.  For me, anyone masquerading as a Morton fan who indulges in that should be banned - they are not welcome at Cappielow.

Ribbiting stuff. 

19 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

There is absolutely no evidence that O'Ware was doing anything other than celebrating with his manager. A common place thing in football. If you're having a go for that then you're looking for things that might not even be there and that's more than petty. It's fucking pathetic.

Call it what you want I'm just sick of this generation of footballers that think they can treat us all like mugs.

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 13:43, vikingTON said:

Just what we need to add to the mix: an absolute fucking mentalist and not in the Martin Hardie sense either. 

He'll be in full breakdown mode after being hounded in a 4-0 defeat at Palmerston in mid-October, NAP. 

Good stuff when I went to the last unread post

1 minute ago, Colkitto said:

Who gives a monkey's f**k whether or not he celebrates with the fans?  As long as he performs on the pitch he can do what he likes - won't make a blind bit of difference to me

Ffs it's not about how he celebrates, it's the motivation behind it.  Unless you're naive or stupid it's evidently a continuation of the fallout at Ayr.  If Tam wishes to keep it going then he'll have plenty of fans who'll indulge him. 

1 minute ago, LargsTON said:

Jesus Christ.  My feelings are far from hurt,  you've clearly never met me.  

You said you're being petty but you have a right to be because of what Tam did. That to me sounds like your feelings are hurt.

Your post is exactly what i mean though. There's grown men who take a lot to get offended by or their feelings hurt by in every day life who turn into delicate 5 year old girls when it comes to their football team for some reason, and they hold lifelong grudges for things that they wouldn't even blink an eye at if something of equivalent pettiness happened in their actual life.

If we can't give a 23 year old boy a break for misguiding his anger and then regretting it soon after then what does that say about the fans. 

Just now, LargsTON said:

Ffs it's not about how he celebrates, it's the motivation behind it.  Unless you're naive or stupid it's evidently a continuation of the fallout at Ayr.  If Tam wishes to keep it going then he'll have plenty of fans who'll indulge him. 

Maybe it's just me but I honestly couldn't care less what his motivation or future actions are with the fans. As long as he performs on the park that's all I'm interested in

1 minute ago, port-ton said:

You said you're being petty but you have a right to be because of what Tam did. That to me sounds like your feelings are hurt.

Your post is exactly what i mean though. There's grown men who take a lot to get offended by or their feelings hurt by in every day life who turn into delicate 5 year old girls when it comes to their football team for some reason, and they hold lifelong grudges for things that they wouldn't even blink an eye at if something of equivalent pettiness happened in their actual life.

If we can't give a 23 year old boy a break for misguiding his anger and then regretting it soon after then what does that say about the fans. 

I actually deleted that post cos we're clearly on different wavelengths and I canny be arsed going round in circles.  To sum it up I'm prepared to draw a line under it and move on. 

4 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Maybe it's just me but I honestly couldn't care less what his motivation or future actions are with the fans. As long as he performs on the park that's all I'm interested in

Right this is my last post on the subject.  There's been a divide between club and fans for a number of years now which was probably at its worst during the McInally era.  It's been getting better in recent seasons by and large due to the team spirit Duffy has instilled which has transmitted to the support.  This is despite Raes best efforts to piss us off.  I'd hate to see that undone by O'Ware which is probably why it's got my back up so much.  It's not about being hurt or upset, it's about the club progressing and even though you may not care what he does in future plenty will which is why it can't continue to fester.  Hopefully this is the end of it.

6 hours ago, Tonsilitis said:

For clarity on the Tam O'Ware issue.  Both he and the manager had shouts of "F****n B****rd" directed at them at Ayr from a person or persons in the Morton support.  That is why Tam was so upset and reacted and also why the chairman decided, rightly or wrongly, to speak out.  Nobody believes or expects that players are immune from criticism when they do not play well but sectarian abuse is not and never has been part of Greenock Morton and should not be tolerated.  For me, anyone masquerading as a Morton fan who indulges in that should be banned - they are not welcome at Cappielow.

F*****g l**r as ever! :shutup

O'Ware reacted to a few idiots amongst his own support. No one would take abuse on a personal level if you feel you have given all and have done so on many occasions. How he handles it is up to him. As one of the people who contribute to his wages all I want is 100% in every game and if he scores goals ,all the better. No badge kissers please as they don't exist any more and would only fool the guys on here berating him.

We should be celebrating but all some want to talk about is an employee of the club . Anyone who cares about who scored last night is not a real supporter but just angry at life in general I suspect.

Lets get behind the team- next time a guy boos and if you are beside him and think it is unreasonable or stupid, get 10 mates and start booing at him. See what happens. I know that seems farcical but this thread to outsiders reading it must be a good laugh.

I think half the problem is folks is confused *

They want the team to do well, but couldn't see Duffy's new team doing anything this year and have lost any belief in Duffy. We've played lost football for the past 6 weeks maybe, with a thin squad and players out of position.

Then we go and win on Saturday, and then again last night, and it looks as though -with Gunning barking at everyone- we might get somewhere now.

I could have gone last night, and didn't -me and 2,000 others. Shame on us. The reason I didn't go was we have been a shambles, and JD had no change of plan if we went behind, and only a defensively siege mentality when we went ahead. To miss the game where we go into our first serious semi-final in half a lifetime - lesson learned.

If Gunning means we have a strong defence, and can push forwards with confidence, and if Oliver has found some form, then well done Jim. You can find good players -we know that. In a month we could be top 4, but we could also be sitting down there with the Pars and the Midden if this is a false dawn..

* -so some folks get distracted by Tam's petted lip. On twitter ffs -means nothing

Mon 'e Ton