The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Opinions on John Baird? obviously was on loan at you guys for the second half of the season, how did he do?
Just signed on as a player/ assistant manager for us!

Runs about a lot but not often meaningfully. Can finish if the opportunity is there. Not brilliant at this level but effortlessly swords the likes of Brechin so should be a good signing at your level.

Expect him to do well for you, unless your manager decides that he should sign Bob McHugh to partner him.

Actually, scrap that. PLEASE sign Bob McHugh to partner him. They work really well together and know each other so well. Best move you could make this summer.

Runs about a lot but not often meaningfully. Can finish if the opportunity is there. Not brilliant at this level but effortlessly swords the likes of Brechin so should be a good signing at your level.

Expect him to do well for you, unless your manager decides that he should sign Bob McHugh to partner him.

Actually, scrap that. PLEASE sign Bob McHugh to partner him. They work really well together and know each other so well. Best move you could make this summer.

PLEASE.

Baird scored decent goals against Brechin and Dumbarton, but he struggled against the full-time sides. His goalscoring instincts and abilities are there, the rest of his game is lacking. If he's fit and motivated, then I'm sure he'll score goals at that level. 

On 05/05/2018 at 03:20, Armand 2 said:

Have heard from a relatively solid source that Massimo Donati has applied for the job but strong favourite is Lee McCulloch. Not sure if the Easdales' involvement has been made official yet but it appears imminent.

I hope not. The difference Steve Clarke made to the same group of players at Kilmarnock suggests that McCulloch was out of his depth there.

I hope not. The difference Steve Clarke made to the same group of players at Kilmarnock suggests that McCulloch was out of his depth there.

Whilst that is true it’s certainly worth mentioning that McCulloch did a very good job recruitment wise in the summer.

3 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Whilst that is true it’s certainly worth mentioning that McCulloch did a very good job recruitment wise in the summer.

Sadly it’s no good being able to recruit well if you then can’t manage these players effectively.

The media would certainly love to see “Big Jig” back in a job.

5 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Do you think he would do a job at Championship level? I personally think he’d be a nightmare appointment for us. 

On 05/05/2018 at 03:20, Armand 2 said:

Have heard from a relatively solid source that Massimo Donati has applied for the job but strong favourite is Lee McCulloch. Not sure if the Easdales' involvement has been made official yet but it appears imminent.

The board know they need to get this right so need a manager who is either doing well in his current position or has done well at a previous role and is currently out of work.

"Jig" falls into the other category of failed at his only job to date so cant see us taking the risk.  

I've heard Hopkin is the strong favourite, so just goes to show how nuts the rumour mill is at this stage.

Guess we will know more in the next week or so. We do need to act relatively  quickly.

Edited by madton

22 hours ago, aimlesswanderer said:

Sadly it’s no good being able to recruit well if you then can’t manage these players effectively.

The media would certainly love to see “Big Jig” back in a job.

20 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Do you think he would do a job at Championship level? I personally think he’d be a nightmare appointment for us. 

I'm not really sure to be honest.  Based on his performance with us he may be a bit Gary Locke-esqe however it was his first job and he only really got 6 months to make a go of it.   I may have been in the minority but I felt that the players he signed would've eventually have came good under him.  Maybe/obviously not to the level we've achieved this season.  The days of a manager getting time are gone of course but I still reckon McCulloch might have something about him.

3 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I'm not really sure to be honest.  Based on his performance with us he may be a bit Gary Locke-esqe however it was his first job and he only really got 6 months to make a go of it.   I may have been in the minority but I felt that the players he signed would've eventually have came good under him.  Maybe/obviously not to the level we've achieved this season.  The days of a manager getting time are gone of course but I still reckon McCulloch might have something about him.

I got the sense that he got lucky last season. He got that “bounce” that interim managers often get because the players up their game being unsure who the new gaffer will be. But as soon as he was made permanent results went south.

Killie seemed to really struggle early on in games under him this season too. I’m not sure what that was all about.

Maybe he would be a good manager but because of all the stuff about him being “a Rangers man” and the media calling him “Big Jig” I’ve always found him a bit annoying.

OK, Ray is being suggested in some press reports for the post of the next Morton manager. Any easier for you to understand?

As I expected, not even close to the incoherent mess you posted above.

McKinnon will worm his way back to Kirkcaldy before you know it.