The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Cheers for the feedback. Sounds promising. I think he will be utilised more as a winger rather than a striker. What would you say is his best position?

Sorry for jumping in here...

I wrote a wee bit about MacLean over on our thread earlier. I think he should do a decent job for you in the Championship.

I always saw him as a natural replacement for Cadden at right midfield for us but the fact we’ve switched to a back 3 with wing-backs has left him in a bit of a limbo IMO. MacLean’s never a wing back and we’re chock full of central midfielders so his opportunities have been limited and that’s been through no real fault of his own. He’s always shown up pretty well when he got a chance but Robinson generally found a mix in midfield he liked and stuck with it.

MacLean seems to have been doing a lot of gym work lately and could easily slot in on the right of midfield, part of a central 3 or as a #10.

Genuinely interested to see how he gets on. He really needs regular games at this stage.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

That's not how it works. He has to have been made an offer by a particular date (three months prior to expiry?) but the offer doesn't need to be held open indefinitely. That would be mental.

Edit: 60 days prior to expiry. 

https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/70/95/52/regulationsonthestatusandtransferofplayersjune2016_e_neutral.pdf

60 days for international protection under FIFA rules. 14 days is enough for domestic protection under SPFL rules.

I know the article is a couple of days old but Tam O'Ware is a c**t's c**t eh?

Will be interesting to see if he does the throat slit celebration against you lot if he scores and if you lot will find that provocative :P .

Anyone heard anything about the Renfrewshire Cup this summer? Assuming it will be back on sooner or later.

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Will be interesting to see if he does the throat slit celebration against you lot if he scores and if you lot will find that provocative :P .

Anyone heard anything about the Renfrewshire Cup this summer? Assuming it will be back on sooner or later.

Not bothered and hopefully not. We should only be entering development squads if we're playing the Renfrewshire cup at all.

Hearing Russell and Tiffoney have left. The offers they had have been withdrawn.

Also not fussed about quitongo either. He's a handful when he's fit but we can't be waiting about on him and his dad deciding where he's going every transfer window

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Not news to us sadly. Attitude in that article explains why he was so pish at some points last season. Sure he’ll get a warm reception at Cappielow :rolleyes:. After being at the club for 7 years he’s let himself down badly in that article. 

Jai has the potential to be an international class player, if he works on his fitness and adds goals to his game. Saying you aren’t bothered about him leaving is poor as you can easily see a Morton team without Quitongo starting is like starting a man down. I personally will be gutted to see him play for someone  else, but it was going to happen eventually.

Jai has the potential to be an international class player, if he works on his fitness and adds goals to his game. Saying you aren’t bothered about him leaving is poor as you can easily see a Morton team without Quitongo starting is like starting a man down. I personally will be gutted to see him play for someone  else, but it was going to happen eventually.

A Morton team starting with a permanently injured Quitongo is actually starting with a man down. If he kept himself fit, he’d develop hugely and be playing at a much higher level. As it is, he’s spent a huge proportion of the last two seasons in the stand, collecting a wage and contributing nothing to our cause. Potential only takes you so far, especially for a club with our resources. Wish him luck for the future, but I’m not even slightly sad he’s departing.

A Morton team starting with a permanently injured Quitongo is actually starting with a man down. If he kept himself fit, he’d develop hugely and be playing at a much higher level. As it is, he’s spent a huge proportion of the last two seasons in the stand, collecting a wage and contributing nothing to our cause. Potential only takes you so far, especially for a club with our resources. Wish him luck for the future, but I’m not even slightly sad he’s departing.

This

7 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Jai has the potential to be an international class player,

He really doesn't. He's a strong, athletic player when fit but moments of genuine quality are few and far between with him. 

I'd like him to stay as he offers something different at this level but if he's just going to spend most of the season out injured we're better off signing someone else.

11 hours ago, niketon said:

Hearing Russell and Tiffoney have left. The offers they had have been withdrawn.

Also not fussed about quitongo either. He's a handful when he's fit but we can't be waiting about on him and his dad deciding where he's going every transfer window

Hard to believe re Russell and Tiffoney.  If the offers were withdrawn we would lose out on compensation and we can't afford to throw money away. 

Would be sorry to see Jai leave although we haven't seen much of him for a while. Will a Livi who are not exactly cash rich be prepared to take him on with a first team wage and pay compensation too? 

I doubt it but time will tell. 

On 6/20/2018 at 21:29, Pull My Strings said:

That's not how it works. He has to have been made an offer by a particular date (three months prior to expiry?) but the offer doesn't need to be held open indefinitely. That would be mental.

Edit: 60 days prior to expiry. 

https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/70/95/52/regulationsonthestatusandtransferofplayersjune2016_e_neutral.pdf

10 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

Hard to believe re Russell and Tiffoney.  If the offers were withdrawn we would lose out on compensation and we can't afford to throw money away. 

Jeez, does nobody read previous posts before posting?:rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

So why are some of you up in arms about it? 

I agree, don't see any issues with that at all, he's served his time and wants a new challenge. He's been replaced with Buchanan who is a better CB anyway, all good!

4 hours ago, Mr Toon said:

Would be sorry to see Jai leave although we haven't seen much of him for a while. Will a Livi who are not exactly cash rich be prepared to take him on with a first team wage and pay compensation too? 

I doubt it but time will tell. 

Seems like he isn't asking for a large wage and is interested in it - the club are interested too which just leaves compensation. 

Worth noting that any compensation will be <50k. We paid 50k for Sibbald and he's been at Falkirk for a lot longer than Quitongo has been with Morton. Any compensation will likely be 10-20k which we could easily pay for. Depends on if we want to take the risk given his injuries.

I'd definitely take the risk personally seems like a great player