The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 12/07/2022 at 13:00, The Ghost of B A R P said:

So nothing, then? Thought not.

An accurate assessment of the impact of the manager's ruthless and cunning media strategy (read: gurn nonsense to Chick Young), in getting the board to display the transfer warchest that they've been sitting on this whole time. 

Unlucky.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

An accurate assessment of the impact of the manager's ruthless and cunning media strategy (read: gurn nonsense to Chick Young), in getting the board to display the transfer warchest that they've been sitting on this whole time. 

Unlucky.

Still going? And still just making up stuff to cover the fact that you're wrong, as usual? (What happened to that other stuff you made up the other day, btw? Bit embarrassed by it?)

Unlucky indeed...

Still no progress on that ruthless media intervention actually unleashing any  transfer funds champ. Indeed, not even a public comment yet by the board on the furore that only negatively impacted the club. 

Could it be that gurning shite to Chick Young is not the route to improving a first team squad that you re-signed Cameron Blues and Robbie Muirhead for? Seems the case!

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Still no progress on that ruthless media intervention actually unleashing any  transfer funds champ. Indeed, not even a public comment yet by the board on the furore that only negatively impacted the club. 

Could it be that gurning shite to Chick Young is not the route to improving a first team squad that you re-signed Cameron Blues and Robbie Muirhead for? Seems the case!

Dateline: Thursday.

The Viking laddie continues to flail.

Sad.

I’m beginning to think he doesn’t really like this Dougie Imrie fellow and the backlash is on…

I think in an odd way there's a parallel here with the complaints we heard from McInally right through to Hopkin that the fans were so negative it was putting players off signing. The idea that Morton fans were so hideously abusive relative to, for example, the Partick or Dunfermline supports was obviously ridiculous, but if that was genuinely a factor in players not wanting to sign for Morton the club should have been trying to change that perception, not running to the press calling us all a shower of b*****ds every other month. Regardless of the truth in the underlying accusation, having a frequent stream of stories about how evil Morton fans were was only going to reinforce that impression and make more players want to stay away, if any ever did.

Looking at Imrie's comments, it's entirely common for managers to stoke things up in the press to try to get more money out of a board (Tommy Wright used to do it every summer and it didn't stop St Johnstone waltzing into Europe all the time) but there's a way to do it. Doing it in an interview with a shit stirrer like Chick Young on Sportsound just reinforces a lot of negativity about the club. If you're wanting to make it either more appealing for players to sign or more appealing for fans to buy tickets or join/increase contributions to MCT - which is how Imrie's budget will be increased - then that isn't creating the impression that Morton is a good place to be. An interview to the Tele or even some choice words in an in house interview will suffice for bringing some pressure with the board well aware of what the manager is saying in public without negative national attention.

What happened last Saturday was you had national coverage of Imrie's comments, with ill-informed pundits who seemingly aren't even aware we're had a change of ownership talking about how Morton "seem to always be in turmoil off the park and have been for years", giving Young an excuse to repeat Hopkin's lies about how we "infamously couldn't afford to sign a goalkeeper" when he'd built a squad of 22 with 10 forwards, and had to nobly fall on his sword to protect players' wages. That creates the impression we're in just as much of a mess now as we were in the final days of the Golden Casket regime with Dave McKinnon stealing a substantial wage, when in fact the reason we only had 12 players on Saturday was having 7 players out between injuries and suspensions, an unusually large number of absentees.

No one wins from that. It heightens the impression that the club is a joke and makes fans less likely to have any confidence in MCT, therefore less likely to join, which then has an impact on income and in turn on Imrie's budget. We've had a summer of routine toys out the pram with threats to cancel MCT memberships and demands for official club statements about Imrie's future every single time a tabloid said that Stuart Taylor was going to be leaving Hamilton. It's hardly unlikely that some fans might react similarly to the manager claiming that the squad of 19 which has one goalkeeper, no established centre forward, two teenagers, Darren Hynes and Zander Easdale will be it when that isn't actually true. You can already see that those comments have caused panic and had people pointing fingers at MCT or demanding statements, again.

Just as the big bad evil Morton fans trope wasn't going to be eliminated by constantly referring to it, trashing the reputation of the club isn't going to be conducive to actually getting the club to a better place. Throughout his time in charge Imrie has shown no hints of indulging the "plucky little Morton, how can we expect to do any better" attitude that we've had to suffer for years from pathetic losers like MacPherson and Johansson, and I've no doubt that he's sincere in believing that the club can be fully purged of that mindset. In this case though his comments have reinforced the well established, earned over decades of mismanagement impression that Morton are a shambles which we're trying to move away from.

It looks as if we didn't have any trialists at the Carlisle game. That has to be concerning that we're not even looking to bring anyone in.

Yes, I appreciate we're still in July, but starting to believe our squad is complete which would be alarming! 

19 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

It looks as if we didn't have any trialists at the Carlisle game. That has to be concerning that we're not even looking to bring anyone in.

Yes, I appreciate we're still in July, but starting to believe our squad is complete which would be alarming! 

I suspect we're now going to be looking at the additions coming after the League Cup is done and it'll most likely be loans.

I saw that Callum Davidson suggested something to the effect of the League Cup being a last opportunity for players to show they should feature for St Johnstone this season, if we're wanting to go wild about the Imrie - Ali Crawford connection again.

The thing that actually particularly struck me in Imrie's interview last week was the bit about the club's choice in adopting an approach of bringing through their own players into the first team (referring here to Hynes, Strapp, King, McGrattan, Lyon, Easdale McGregor, and Garrity). Most of these players received new, in some cases multi-year, contracts during the season in a manner which no other player is offered a new deal. It didn't feel like these were Imrie's decisions (not directly, at least), and while most of these players won't be high earners I don't really buy the idea that's they're merely squad-fillers on next to nothing (they still require a full-time salary of some description). For whatever reason, this is the club's approach and these players look like they will have to be active squad members this season. 

I'm still hopeful that we'll bring in 3 or 4 others, we certainly need that, but if we don't then we've got no business remaining full-time. Bulking up a squad with local younger players just to remain full-time is a failed model - you can only do that in addition to the first team squad, not as an integral part of it. It keeps costs down in some respects, but it doesn't mean that we will have a squad which is good enough. 

We’re banking on a flurry of loans towards the end of the window like we did last season, I think. Good in that (if it works) allows us to get players of a standard we wouldn’t be able to recruit now, but also means we’ve got two months of no depth, and no actual guarantee those loans will arrive.

8 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

We’re banking on a flurry of loans towards the end of the window like we did last season, I think. Good in that (if it works) allows us to get players of a standard we wouldn’t be able to recruit now, but also means we’ve got two months of no depth, and no actual guarantee those loans will arrive.

If we don't it is going to be a hard and very long season.

How many available players do you have for tomorrow? 

Hard to think we’ll get anything after the midweek game. My only hope is you open up more than Bonnyrigg did and I assume you will, if you sit in we won’t break you down.