The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Posted (edited)

Seems like a strange one this early, when they don't even know what league they'll be playing in.

Hopefully plenty of time to upgrade a one-year deal to two years and/or throw in another hundred quid a week. Crawford wasn't great in the second half of the season, but he's very important to the way we play.

Edited to add: nope, he's away. Pretty worrying start to the close-season.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

What’s Alex King’s contract situation with you? 

There is undoubted ability with him, and ultimately played out of position for the most part. However, I wouldn’t be rushing for him back. 

I would have doubts over his attitude, at times looked like he didn’t bother much and would just hoof the ball away to rid responsibility. 

Id like to see him do well because there is a player in there, but needs a manager and better team than we had this year to bring it out. 

10 hours ago, SLClyde said:

There is undoubted ability with him, and ultimately played out of position for the most part. However, I wouldn’t be rushing for him back. 

I would have doubts over his attitude, at times looked like he didn’t bother much and would just hoof the ball away to rid responsibility. 

Id like to see him do well because there is a player in there, but needs a manager and better team than we had this year to bring it out. 

Expires next summer.

The concern is that the complaints you have with him are exactly what we'd hoped a loan move would fix. We've seen enough out of him in terms of raw technical ability to suggest he's got enough there to be good enough for the Championship, but it's still unclear what type of midfielder he actually is.

We've used him as a winger, a box to box midfielder, an out and out attacking midfielder and even on rare occasions a holding midfielder  which even at a young age we can probably safely discount being an option long term. The hope was that in League Two he could nail a position down, and making himself an important part of a team with a defined role would in turn be the platform to step up and address any concerns over taking responsibility and attitude.

That he didn't do so and ended up filling in at left back, where we've already seen he's not up to it, while someone we know isn't good enough for the Championship like Jaze Kabia was getting games for you is a worry. He's still only 19 so I certainly wouldn't be looking to move him on this summer, but it certainly kills any idea of him being ready to step into our starting XI next season with it looking like we have a midfield rebuild on our hands.

10 hours ago, SLClyde said:

We have a problem in midfield. Ideally King would be challenging for one of the vacancies, or become cover for Wilson’s inevitable injuries, while challenging for Crawford’s vacant position. Reports from Clyde fans suggest he’s still some way off that. Hopefully they’re wrong because it looks like he’s going to feature heavily next season regardless. Hopefully not at left back. 

On paper, playing at League 2 level under Ian McCall was a very good chance for him to mature and come back ready to challenge. Quite disappointing that it's not really worked out but I'll reserve my judgement on him for now, definitely deserving of at least a league cup group to stake his claim. He's 19 years old with 78 senior appearances under his belt so this season there's no excuse, would be a real waste of ability if he wasn't able to make it at Morton.

1 hour ago, Chicken Soup said:

Hopefully they’re wrong because it looks like he’s going to feature heavily next season regardless. Hopefully not at left back. 

How does it 'look' like that?

39 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

How does it 'look' like that?

We run with a small squad and a lot of players in the positions he plays are likely to be leaving. The manager often waits until later to sign the players he wants. 

I honestly don’t know what position to play him, he doesn’t really have the pace to be a winger, he’s not a left back and not able to get up and down for centre mid. Maybe a 10 behind a striker, but I have no idea. 

49 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

We run with a small squad and a lot of players in the positions he plays are likely to be leaving. The manager often waits until later to sign the players he wants. 

So nothing tangible to suggest what role he in particular will play and he could just as easily be farmed straight back out or agree a severance.

We've seen in flashes that King can score from distance, has a range of passing, and can drive forward with the ball -  impressive quality in there for his age. I thought he'd show those qualities while settling his all-round game at Clyde, but that hasn't been the case. 

Despite his age, Imrie has publicly criticised him at times, so maybe we shouldn't be so surprised that it hasn't clicked for him yet. 

3 hours ago, Chicken Soup said:

We have a problem in midfield. Ideally King would be challenging for one of the vacancies, or become cover for Wilson’s inevitable injuries, while challenging for Crawford’s vacant position. Reports from Clyde fans suggest he’s still some way off that. Hopefully they’re wrong because it looks like he’s going to feature heavily next season regardless. Hopefully not at left back. 

I don't think King will be anywhere near our starting 11 next season even if every out of contract midfielder leaves. The budget is increasing by all accounts, we have offered current players attractive deals and if they don't take them, someone else will. 

I wouldn't be surprised if King leaves or is back out on loan. If you can't cut it at Clyde, he's got next to no chance of breaking through next season. Seems he still has the same issues which forced Dougie to put him out in the first place.

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Scott Burns in the Record is reporting Livi want Robbie Muirhead. The same article has a picture of Grant Gillespie and claims it's Muirhead right enough. 

image.png.08082c71e001b24744b54a136e44478c.png

Aye, Livi, this is Robbie Muirhead. Help yourself and leave the big handsome fella with the mullet alone.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

So nothing tangible to suggest what role he in particular will play and he could just as easily be farmed straight back out or agree a severance.

So nothing tangible to suggest he’ll be loaned out or released either. Unless you know something I don’t? 

He’s played plenty of first team games and is under contract for the coming season. Until I hear otherwise, that suggests to me that he is likely to feature. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Soup said:

So nothing tangible to suggest he’ll be loaned out or released either. Unless you know something I don’t? 

He’s played plenty of first team games and is under contract for the coming season. Until I hear otherwise, that suggests to me that he is likely to feature. 

You didnt just say 'likely to feature'. You said heavily.

14 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

You didnt just say 'likely to feature'. You said heavily.

I don’t think anyone wants this thread clogged up by a back and forth between us based on our respective views on the threshold between “features” and “features heavily”. 

Hopefully if King is relied upon, he can deliver. 

No problem with King being involved; makes far more sense than carrying 5 senior players in centre-mid. Wilson, Blues, 2 new, King.

With reference to the above, fine if he 'features', worrying -- as in, relegation worrying -- if he 'features heavily'.