The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The "Lifelong Morton fan" is quoted in the article shared by this muppet saying he was thinking about signing for another Championship club just so he could beat Morton.

:lol:

I wasn't 100% sure how to interpret that tbh.  Was it just to be back playing at Cappielow or a massive f**k you to the fans who've always spoke nothing but highly of him.  It was that quote in particular that left a bad taste in my mouth.

It was a bit of a passing comment in the article that wasn’t very well explained or emphasised which makes me think it could be a typical journalist trope of re-wording or reframing something that was said to make the article better.

I’ve done a couple of interviews with journalists previously and the amount of socially awkward misspoken shit I’ve said in the interview that then turns up in an article re-worded to make me sound like a functioning human was ridiculous. 

Happy with Woods, makes sense to double up the back up goalie position with coaching.

Fair play to anyone paying eighteen pounds for that game tomorrow. Big no thank you from me.

Posted (edited)
On 06/07/2024 at 19:59, Colkitto said:

Why would Bearne be moving on? He's started the pre-season games in decent form.

On 06/07/2024 at 20:18, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Bearne will be going nowhere, he’s done well in preseason and will be fighting for the jersey when the proper stuff comes around. I like him, quick and can beat a player, it’s brilliant to have real options at the top end of the park with each player capable of scoring goals. 

Nothing against Bearne - and I genuinely hope he proves me wrong - but I haven't seen anything over the past year to suggest he's got the attributes to really make an impact in our league. Imrie has shown that if he can get better on his budget, he won't hesitate to do so; wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bearne move on (if we can get someone to take on his wage).

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

27 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Fair play to anyone paying eighteen pounds for that game tomorrow. Big no thank you from me.

Completely understandable. I'm very much against the idea of diluting the derby with friendlies to begin with but this one in particular has been a shambles, shame. Grudged paying the money myself.

23 hours ago, dazza_mfc said:

It was the same last season. I believe the management team and players weren't happy with it.  I understand Mark explained that he needed to keep the grass longer at this time of the season so it's protected and in good shape for the winter months. 

Give Mark the resources and he'll provide a superb pitch.  If he's not being given the necessary funding to do his job, that needs to be looked at.  I doubt there's a better groundsman in Scotland and he's proved it over many years.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Give Mark the resources and he'll provide a superb pitch.  If he's not being given the necessary funding to do his job, that needs to be looked at.  I doubt there's a better groundsman in Scotland and he's proved it over many years.

Something that I can’t recall being brought up in any of dales interviews is questioning the pitch if it’s a big problem maybe a question that can be throwing his way ask why Marks left with limited resources ( if that’s the case ) and what they’re doing to get the pitch back to its best possible state 

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Something that I can’t recall being brought up in any of dales interviews is questioning the pitch if it’s a big problem maybe a question that can be throwing his way ask why Marks left with limited resources ( if that’s the case ) and what they’re doing to get the pitch back to its best possible state 

100% correct! If we’re changing our style to playing out from the back and playing balls to feet, then getting the pitch back to its renowned pristine condition is just as important as signing the players to implement that style of play.

If I remember correctly then Douglas Rae used to pay for machinery to be brought in every summer and barely anyone was allowed to set foot on the grass all year round. Times have changed and that’s not viable anymore. 

It’s never going to be as good as it was but even without spending a fortune on it the pitch should be in a better condition than it has been the past couple of years.

It wasn’t that long ago that Celtic and Scotland trained at Cappielow and Celtic’s youth team (u-21’s?) played their home games here. At that time I recall Brendan Rodgers saying the Parkhead pitch wasn’t good enough for the football he wanted to play. I waited with bated breath the announcement that he’d recruited Mark Farrell as Celtic’s new groundsman. 
in the days of recruiting directors of football, scouts, health and fitness experts, Club doctors and dieticians, I truly believed the next logical development was poaching another club’s proven groundsman, but was astonished when it didn’t happen. I think clubs normally recruit the best groundsmen from golf clubs, so why not from another football club which you’ve already decided is the best pitch to train on and for your youth team to play on? Mystifying!

On 07/07/2024 at 20:21, Mr.Blue said:

Can we all agree the DreamOak is a fucking fanny and stick him on ignore?

You do realise that my only gripe about Dougie is his attitude towards our academy players? His recruitment, motivational skills and tactics are of the highest level, and as such I hope he remains as our manager for the foreseeable future. I’m part of the very old school who used to watch the first team one Saturday at Cappielow and the reserves the next, and as well as the privilege of watching the likes of Allan McGraw, Morris Stevenson, Jimmy Wilson and Hugh Strachan ply their trade for Morton, I also took immense pride in seeing one of our youngsters breaking through. like Joe Harper, Joe Jordan or Neil McNab, to name a select few. 
Yes I’ve been very harsh in my comments on Dougie, and deserved to be banned for making it too personal, but it comes from a very personal place so I couldn’t help myself from letting rip, though that’s no excuse from my horrendous rant at Dougie.

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

You do realise that my only gripe about Dougie is his attitude towards our academy players? His recruitment, motivational skills and tactics are of the highest level, and as such I hope he remains as our manager for the foreseeable future. I’m part of the very old school who used to watch the first team one Saturday at Cappielow and the reserves the next, and as well as the privilege of watching the likes of Allan McGraw, Morris Stevenson, Jimmy Wilson and Hugh Strachan ply their trade for Morton, I also took immense pride in seeing one of our youngsters breaking through. like Joe Harper, Joe Jordan or Neil McNab, to name a select few. 
Yes I’ve been very harsh in my comments on Dougie, and deserved to be banned for making it too personal, but it comes from a very personal place so I couldn’t help myself from letting rip, though that’s no excuse from my horrendous rant at Dougie.

If you 'can't help yourself' you really should not be using social media.

It is that simple!

On 08/07/2024 at 13:39, LargsTON said:

I wasn't 100% sure how to interpret that tbh.  Was it just to be back playing at Cappielow or a massive f**k you to the fans who've always spoke nothing but highly of him.  It was that quote in particular that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I took it as he wanted to come back and get it right up Imrie.

You deserved to be banned for making it to personal, say ot was a horrible rant and then you continue to make it personal? f**k off.

You do realise that my only gripe about Dougie is his attitude towards our academy players? 

Really!? Don't think I've ever heard that one from you before...

Posted (edited)

That was a weird game, I thought we played very well had fantastic chances to score a couple and never took the chances left that game getting beat 2-0 but still confident for the season ahead with the moments I saw tonight 

Edited by Cowshed

Serious question guys I'm assuming yous went out with a strong squad tonight due to the fact you were playing them but how did yous perform knowing from an outsider you've brought a few players in & your playing a team from a higher league ???

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That was a weird game, I thought we played very well had fantastic chances to score a couple and never took the chances left that game getting beat 2-0 but still confident for the season ahead with the moments I saw tonight 

Sorry didn't see this post when I was putting mine out 

A decent work out in a team that's beginning to gel. Boyce was excellent tonight I thought, with Delaney, Ballantine, Moffat and Lyall showing up well too.

Lemar is not a CF and I think he'll make way to the wings when we sign one. Davies looked a bit lost up against a tall physical defence. 

We lacked a bit of physicality up front to be honest. 

Pleased with the new signings and style of play!