The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

23 hours ago, GMFC89 said:

God the was a hard watch tonight. Still a couple of weeks out but Partick could very well batter us on the opening day if this keeps up. For me the only new signings that are currently cutting it are Moffat and Ballantyne. Lyall looks good in flashes but is taking far too many touches. Needs to be 1/2 touch and away if we’re to make this new style of play work. The jury is very much still on both Reynolds and Davies. Reynolds looks like one of them players who’ll show a bit of magic one minute then fail to control a simple ball the next. Davies showed some good striker play and done reasonably well in the air for his size but also doesn’t look confident in front of goal and gives the illusion of having some pace but actually isn’t at all. 

As has been said before in here a no9 is badly needed. 

That's Lyalls game though, he is great to watch when it works, dont know where dougie plays him, but  mostly played centre left mid for us, a good impact player, I was never convinced he was a certain starter yet in this League...

48 minutes ago, Passionate said:

That's Lyalls game though, he is great to watch when it works, dont know where dougie plays him, but  mostly played centre left mid for us, a good impact player, I was never convinced he was a certain starter yet in this League...

Agreed, he is tidy enough but wouldn’t have been a 100% starter for us had we signed him.

A bit concerned if this is our first eleven for the championship.

Suggestions we might get a few loans in, fu#k we need them.

Sorry Davis doesn't look the goal scorer we hoped for, industrious but needs to show in front of goal and that 1st half header was poor.

Baird needs to calm down it's not a Friday night out there.

I've only seen us twice, but my general impression is that neither the initial wave of optimism nor the inevitable knicker-wetting that followed are justified.

On one hand, we're way ahead of where we were last year (and most years) in terms of squad building; and two or three of the new signings already look as though they'll make a big contribution. Priority is to get the back four bedded in: Ballantyne-Baird-Boyes-Delaney, at least initially, should be starting as often as possible. That has the makings of a pretty good unit, with Corr hopefully giving Imrie something to think about.

Also impressed with Moffat, who looks a player in the making; will be interesting to see if he settles out wide or in the number 10 role.

On the other hand, we've yet to see evidence that Reynolds and Davies have what it takes at this level. Reynolds looks to me as though he might be useful out wide and when we're counter-attacking; less effective when we're trying to break teams down (and definitely not a centre-forward). Davies looks like a classic 'off the striker' player rather than an out-and-out centre-forward, so will be interesting to see if he ends up in the 10-ish role behind another striker (with Moffat wide). To be fair to him, strikers are quite often poor in early season, because so much of it is about sharpness.

Beyond that, Lyall has ability, but not sure what his best position is; and we can only hope that Shaw's best position is wide right.

Another centre-mid and another striker definitely required; both need to be good enough to bring what's already there up a notch or two.

Beyond that, I'd be looking to move Broadfoot and (dons tin hat) Bearne on: no further comment required on the former; and Bearne showed once again on Tuesday night, even with the freedom of the right-hand side against a tiring Tier 5 side, that his decision-making/composure are just terrible (on top of serious question marks about his ability to compete physically). Every wage is a prisoner for a club in our circumstances and there's no room for passengers... 

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

3 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Reynolds was absolutely fine the other night. One of our best players in fact. But he was slowing the game down too much by cutting inside so much. We need fewer touches and a higher tempo from him.

For me that was the reason he wasn't fine on Tuesday. Showed a couple of tidy touches and a bit of intelligence at times but regardless of that he'll not cause much damage if everything's done as slowly as that against Championship teams.

Hate to moan while we're still barely out of pre season but everything has to be done faster and sharper if we're to have any chance against St Johnstone and then in the league going forward.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Reynolds was absolutely fine the other night. One of our best players in fact. But he was slowing the game down too much by cutting inside so much. We need fewer touches and a higher tempo from him.

Reynolds was awful on Tuesday night. Couldn't hit a barn door.

29 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Mental take.

he was out best player of a bad bunch.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was 'awful'... but the definition of 'mental' is watching that game and thinking he was our best player. Moffat was head and shoulders above the rest (joined by Ballantyne and Delaney in the second half). Reynolds has possibilities, but he's been underwhelming so far.

10 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was 'awful'... but the definition of 'mental' is watching that game and thinking he was our best player. Moffat was head and shoulders above the rest (joined by Ballantyne and Delaney in the second half). Reynolds has possibilities, but he's been underwhelming so far.

Well for me Moffat did little but run the ball into opposition legs and have shots from 30 years blocked.

Thought Reynolds was the only player on the park who was capable of holding onto possession for longer than 3 seconds. That's not to say he was good, but he was one of the few that weren't actively contributing to the performance being so dreadful

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Well for me Moffat did little but run the ball into opposition legs and have shots from 30 years blocked.

Thought Reynolds was the only player on the park who was capable of holding onto possession for longer than 3 seconds. That's not to say he was good, but he was one of the few that weren't actively contributing to the performance being so dreadful

Moffat was the best player on the pitch alongside Ballantyne. 

The Tele article is a wee bit all over the place, but I still expect Grimshaw to move on from DU this window. Doesn't mean we're first in line, of course, but we're clearly trying (or have tried).

I think most of us accepted the inevitable when he signed for DU, but it would be tough to watch him turn out for Ayr or Dunfermline against us.

If there's anything in the Todorov rumour, more to the good; from there, moving a couple on and replacing them with loans later in August might get us to a place where we can genuinely compete at the top end.

tl:dr... Squad as it stands will be scrapping for eighth; four decent quality additions scoots you right up a tight, competitive league.

I see we've moved from two additions to four additions needed in the space of a week. Where's the money coming from to pay for that? 

Garbage needs to be shipped out first to either afford players of genuine quality (Grimshaw, not Todorov) or to add more than a couple of final signings if we're lucky. Failing to win tomorrow would confirm the limited operating window we will be working in. 

I’m pleased we’re at least exporing bringing Grimshaw back but there’s just no way we’d get close to his wage - or the one Partick/Ayr/English side would offer him. Can’t see it happening - especially without moving out jobbers first.

10 hours ago, MORleyTON said:

Could be more weight in it than thought....could.

Get it done.

Screenshot_20240719-092819.png

Transfers Scotland on Twitter (who has been pretty much spot-on this summer with our transfers and most others) says that it's expected that Grimshaw will leave DU in this window, so there's definitely a decent chance.

36 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Transfers Scotland on Twitter (who has been pretty much spot-on this summer with our transfers and most others) says that it's expected that Grimshaw will leave DU in this window, so there's definitely a decent chance.

Transfers Scotland is a loonball fantasist who just repackaged anything he finds from forums or other news sources.