The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 minutes ago, montheton11 said:

I agree but fk me if we finish in top 4 mate I'll take it if not then I'm wrong .

If Morton finish in the top 4 of the league this season then I'll delete my account on here.

That's not going to happen though: the over/under for our points total on all current evidence would be 30 if we're lucky.

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

If Morton finish in the top 4 of the league this season then I'll delete my account on here.

That's not going to happen though: the over/under for our points total on all current evidence would be 30 if we're lucky.

Please keep that promise 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Even by your standards Doc that’s a bit of a spineless wager. We didn’t finish in the top four in either of the last two seasons playing the direct aggressive style you now claim to admire so much. Under any circumstances with our limited budget it would be reasonable to allow the new squad and system sometime to bed in so top four this season is a nigh impossible ask. If you genuinely think we will be lucky to get 30 points why don’t you change your pledge and say you will delete you account if we manage to avoid relegation?

it’s probably academic anyway given the number of sock puppet accounts you have.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

I'd have a positive attitude if we weren't getting shoed by teams two levels below us and not registering a single credible attempt on goal yesterday. That's the reality of this disastrous 'philosophy' and no amount of berating for pointing out those facts will change it. We are already well past the finger out stage for these jobber players.

I want to see GMFC return to its strengths since Imrie took over: aggressive pressing from the front; and a direct approach to getting the ball into and winning it back in dangerous areas in the opposition's defensive half. Yesterday's performance was the exact opposite of that and got the Jonatan Johansson type of result it deserved. 

We played away to a team established in the premier league for a few years , who came up against us a team in massive transition, I'd say two nil is respectable all things  considering, and a back line forced apon us few new players injured slows down what the boss wants as his first 11 and way to play . Look all I'm saying is yes we all want a cup run and to look up to speed, but the change is far to much for that to happen , let him get another couple of players in , work on the final third and if after a few league games and there seems to be no noticeable change  then the boss is fair to be judged,  but if the ones in the shed who thinks it's great to personally shout out the your shite comments to our own players, (who are still just bedding in) before we have played a handful of league games will help then crack on but if I were them Id end up like big muirhead and loose respect for a lot of you. 

If I go to a new job,new people,new boss,new town,new country,and folk tell me I'm shit after I've had to try adapt and before I've had enough chance to prove myself I'll think what the fk am I doing here it's vile.

But if I'n a few months in and everything is up and running and I've given time and support I'd be giving you my best and if that looks shit then fair enough I deserve it .

They are on a contract I personally believe to hound them now is nothing but less productive, yea you will say they are big boys and  professional and should rise above  it but they new players are experiencing not just joining a new club from a different country a new club trying to change what its done for years , i respect what Dougie is trying and pray to fk it works and until the time comes when we can all see it's not working or they are no good then fair doos but now is not the time .

Edited by montheton11

Yeah, I can't help but think that you have a vested interest in this discussion that is separate to those of a supporter alone. 

And as for losing the respect of Robbie fucking Muirhead or whatever next glorified Herbalife ambassador thinks that the fanbase of a mediocre Scottish football club is a deeply unfair, inhospitable bearpit for them to perform alongside...

wuDtNe.gif.6db377ce67562f6afb4ac62eca54afc1.gif

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Yeah, I can't help but think that you have a vested interest in this discussion that is separate to those of a supporter alone. 

And as for losing the respect of Robbie fucking Muirhead or whatever next glorified Herbalife ambassador thinks that the fanbase of a mediocre Scottish football club is a deeply unfair, inhospitable bearpit for them to perform alongside...

wuDtNe.gif.6db377ce67562f6afb4ac62eca54afc1.gif

My interest is supporting what the boss has had the balls to do not be a hindrance to his project .

1 minute ago, montheton11 said:

My interest is supporting what the boss has had the balls to do not be a hindrance to his project .

1) If what the boss is trying to do patently isn't working and isn't going to succeed then it's not a hindrance to point that out. Sticking with the same mantra and producing excuse after excuse for a failure to perform is the real hindrance, and that's what we're seeing right now. 

Imrie has certainly earned enough slack to make good on a mistaken or unsuccessful change of approach, but that will involve swallowing a huge amount of humble pie sooner rather than later and not lashing out against fully merited criticism for an awful excuse of a performance like yesterday or the previous two games. 

2) Football supporters are not club employees with any sort of duty to to happy clap whatever ideas are being implemented either by the first team manager or at boardroom level. Big bad Morton fans are in reality no more or less demanding on the club than anyone else - and the reality of the current performance levels is stark. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

1) If what the boss is trying to do patently isn't working and isn't going to succeed then it's not a hindrance to point that out. Sticking with the same mantra and producing excuse after excuse for a failure to perform is the real hindrance, and that's what we're seeing right now. 

Imrie has certainly earned enough slack to make good on a mistaken or unsuccessful change of approach, but that will involve swallowing a huge amount of humble pie sooner rather than later and not lashing out against fully merited criticism for an awful excuse of a performance like yesterday or the previous two games. 

2) Football supporters are not club employees with any sort of duty to to happy clap whatever ideas are being implemented either by the first team manager or at boardroom level. Big bad Morton fans are in reality no more or less demanding on the club than anyone else - and the reality of the current performance levels is stark. 

Personal feeling mate is give them time and support, your entitled to your own opinions however let's reconvene with this chat after the first quarter of the season.  

No matter your opinion or mine were dong it this way Dougie is committed and I'll be right behind him for now and every player because I believe (only my opinion) that helps for now .

Edited by montheton11

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

So bitter 

I am lost which argument does that refer too?

As a bystander, it seems the forum has been infiltrated by an employee of Morton or mate of the boss this is not good.

In recent years my enjoyment of attending games has been challenged by mums and dads who felt their son's were having great games and should not be open to criticism, get a life! 

9 hours ago, virginton said:

Sophie's choice right enough!

Which One Thumbs Up GIF by Originals

Edited by cb_diamond

All those monkeys hitting those typewriters may EVENTUALLY come up with the complete works of Shakespeare, but they seem to be coming up with a lot of gibberish to post on a P&B forum first...

11 hours ago, montheton11 said:

We played away to a team established in the premier league for a few years , who came up against us a team in massive transition, I'd say two nil is respectable all things  considering, and a back line forced apon us few new players injured slows down what the boss wants as his first 11 and way to play

For the sake of context, we're also rebuilding a side and in transition. Of the starting line up only 3 were with us this time last year (MacPherson, Wright, Carey).

We only signed our left back a few days ago (signed from Portugals 4th tier) and that was his first game. The two CBs had never played in a 2 together (our first choice CB was injured), and the entire back four had never played together before. In the second half we had a midfielder in defence too, who had started in midfield, an 18yo who's only played 1 competitive game outside Ghana.

By the end we weren't even playing a shape and just had players on the park for game time.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We only signed our left back a few days ago (signed from Portugals 4th tier) and that was his first game. The two CBs had never played in a 2 together (our first choice CB was injured), and the entire back four had never played together before. In the second half we had a midfielder in defence too, who had started in midfield, an 18yo who's only played 1 competitive game outside Ghana.

By the end we weren't even playing a shape and just had players on the park for game time.

This is why I see Saturday as a missed opportunity, I genuinely believe that the squad we had this time last year would've steamrolled St Johnstone and had one foot in the last 16 by now. We've lost both the quality we had to win games and the dig and determination we had to get through games when we weren't playing well.

Oakley absolutely ragdolled big Sanders when he was with Ayr last year yet every time the ball went to him on Saturday he had time to take a touch, make a cup of tea and find a pass. We were so lackadaisical off the ball and made life very easy for St Johnstone which is really frustrating, and we've already seen that that won't fly even against League 2 teams.

21 hours ago, virginton said:

Your hysterical reaction certainly adds some extra spice to the season ahead. As you haven’t actually seen most of our pre season I’m assuming this is based almost entirely on the East Fife result, which was undoubtedly disgraceful.

That game aside, our pre season results are what anyone outwith our bubble would expect. A championship team winning against lower league opposition and coming up short against premier league teams. We’ve signed 10 new players, are yet to get our first choice back 5 on the pitch together and our first choice striker is yet to be found.  There may be criticism to be made for us going into the season without a first choice centre forward, but Imrie has previously secured quality late on in the window. Either way, this level of panic is very dramatic, especially given some of the tripe elsewhere in our division. 

19 hours ago, virginton said:

How is Cammy MacPherson these days, always had a soft spot for him as a 110% guy, but I guess I'd rather finish in the Top6 which I reckon is beyond a team where he's a regular starter.

On 20/07/2024 at 19:46, perthsaint1977 said:

MacPherson is shite. Unbelievable he's our starter.  A big problem going into the season if he's a nailed on starter

30 minutes ago, btb said:

How is Cammy MacPherson these days, always had a soft spot for him as a 110% guy, but I guess I'd rather finish in the Top6 which I reckon is beyond a team where he's a regular starter.

Probably best asking on the Saintees thread, but the quote at the top will give you a gist.

3 hours ago, Chicken Soup said:

Your hysterical reaction certainly adds some extra spice to the season ahead. As you haven’t actually seen most of our pre season I’m assuming this is based almost entirely on the East Fife result, which was undoubtedly disgraceful.

That game aside, our pre season results are what anyone outwith our bubble would expect. 

Slithering past a Highland League outfit 1-0 is absolutely not to be expected, by anyone who still understands what standards are instead of the pathetic gaslighting exercise ongoing at Cappielow this summer.