The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

9 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Dougie saying Shaw has picked up another injury and will be out a wee bit longer.

That would make the McGinn signing understandable 

Waste of a fuc*ing signing that is 

Edited by Cowshed

Niall McGinn was completely finished with us 3 seasons ago and bombed out of the squad by Gary Bowyer because he had a poor attitude and a big wage apparently. Fair play if you get a tune out of him, but jeezo.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Niall McGinn was completely finished with us 3 seasons ago and bombed out of the squad by Gary Bowyer because he had a poor attitude and a big wage apparently. Fair play if you get a tune out of him, but jeezo.

Reeks of Novo / O’Connor vibes 

31 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Dougie saying Shaw has picked up another injury and will be out a wee bit longer.

Wouldn't say so unless he was massively downplaying the Shaw injury. He was talking a couple of weeks which wouldn't really drive a new signing for the season.

So much for our chairman talking pish that no old geezers will be rocking up at Cappielow for a last pay day whilst he is on the board aye nae bother.

4 minutes ago, gmfc said:

So much for our chairman talking pish that no old geezers will be rocking up at Cappielow for a last pay day whilst he is on the board aye nae bother.

Dale appears to just talk shite at any opportunity. 

I was happy to have missed out on signing McGinn when he left Dundee. I didn't think it looked like he had much left back then, and from what I've been reading it seems that hasn't really changed over there. It can't say much for the quality of the Championship if McGinn is the answer to our problems.

There's certainly a fear that we messed up our early recruitment in attacking positions, and are now left with the panic signings. Hopefully not the case but our summer recruitment in those roles feels a bit off. 

5 hours ago, Colkitto said:

I really don't think it does; we already had too many wingers. Even if Shaw is out for the whole season, our options for the three behind the striker are Moffat, Lyall, Crawford, Garrity, King, Reynolds and Davies. Hunners of players. Our options for centre forward are JET, Reynolds (not even a centre forward) and Davies, none of whom can play as a lone striker. We also only have two full backs and will start looking suspiciously short in midfield when Wilson inevitably has a spell out too. Even without Shaw we had one too many wingers and a greater need for signings in literally every other position.

The one positive I can cling to with this is that I absolutely panned the signing of Ali Crawford, on very good evidence in my defence, and he's been fine in the three games since. I will be very happy if we get three good games in the next three weeks out of Niall McGinn as a centre forward, but I'll be surprised if we get that out of him for the rest of the season. This is heading towards Hopkin levels of stupidly imbalanced squad.

Edited by Dunning1874

I’ve not seen McGinn play in years but I’m sure he’s played through the middle a lot in his career. Do we know what position he’s been playing for Glentoran? His goal return for them looks decent. 

8 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I really don't think it does; we already had too many wingers. Even if Shaw is out for the whole season, our options for the three behind the striker are Moffat, Lyall, Crawford, Garrity, King, Reynolds and Davies. Hunners of players. Our options for centre forward are JET, Reynolds (not even a centre forward) and Davies, none of whom can play as a lone striker. We also only have two full backs and will start looking suspiciously short in midfield when Wilson inevitably has a spell out too. Even without Shaw we had one too many wingers and a greater need for signings in literally every other position.

The one positive I can cling to with this is that I absolutely panned the signing of Ali Crawford, on very good evidence in my defence, and he's been fine in the three games since. I will be very happy if we get three good games in the next three weeks out of Niall McGinn as a centre forward, but I'll be surprised if we get that out of him for the rest of the season. This is heading towards Hopkin levels of stupidly imbalanced squad.

I'm not disagreeing with your view in general, but to me, Reynolds and Davies are not cutting it so far, and Shaw out for weeks,  Dougie may feel he needs more up front right now and that's why the McGinn interest.  

Has McGinn signed? 

Imrie on again with his smug wee smile implying that the coaching team’s prep for Falkirk has been meticulously thorough and that it’s now down to the players to follow his brilliant masterplan. No mention of the fact that he has failed abysmally to bring in any sort of a credible goal scoring threat but heyho we can outpass them to submission.

We are a fan owned club and Laird and Imrie should absolutely be held to account and made to explain why we are reducing our available budget balance by signing McGinn now when we still don’t have a credible striker

Edited by Branch Ton
Typo

6 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Imrie on again with his smug wee smile implying that the coaching team’s prep for Falkirk has been meticulously thorough and that it’s now done to the players to follow his brilliant masterplan. No mention of the fact that he has failed abysmally to bring in any sort of a credible goal scoring threat but heyho we can outpass them to submission.

We are a fan owned club and Laird and Imrie should absolutely be held to account and made to explain why we are reducing our available budget balance by signing McGinn now when we still don’t have a credible striker.

Yes, we still need a striker. We know that. But that guff at the start ..... Still at least you've stopped fixating on Imrie's tattoos.......

The sooner somebody paps your stone back on top of you the better.

28 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I'm not disagreeing with your view in general, but to me, Reynolds and Davies are not cutting it so far, and Shaw out for weeks,  Dougie may feel he needs more up front right now and that's why the McGinn interest.  

Has McGinn signed? 

Nothing announced on either side, but still talk that it will be announced later today. 

I can understand another attacking midfield/wing player from the point of view of the lack of anything from Reynolds and Davies (I half wondered if at least one of them would just head straight back down south), but McGinn was struggling at this level a couple of years ago and had since failed to shine consistently at a lower level. Feels to me like throwing money away when what we really need is a striker. 

24 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Yes, we still need a striker. We know that. But that guff at the start ..... Still at least you've stopped fixating on Imrie's tattoos.......

The sooner somebody paps your stone back on top of you the better.

Not sure if this is a clumsy attempt at humour or an attempt to close down criticism of Imrie and Laird. Be interested to hear your take on the McGinn move.