The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

5 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

So yep, confirmation of what we all said at the time. A pathetic dive for them, and a blatant penalty not given for us. 

Consistently atrocious refereeing in this division. 

Slavers.

On 01/09/2024 at 08:31, North Terrace Gazza said:

Wow that’s never a penalty for Falkirk. Definite dive and yellow card.

I thought at the time that Delaney had pushed him in the back, but it's more that he grabs his shirt and keeps holding on.  From the replay I'd say it's a penalty, arguably a bit soft, but if Delaney had let go of his shirt sooner he'd probably have got away with it.

The Garrity incident looks like a clear penalty too - Donaldson seems to dive in and takes Garrity's legs out.  Gets the ball too but I would say it should arguably be a yellow card for Donaldson for violent conduct as well as a penalty.  The referee was atrocious, and his restarts after stoppages handed the ball to the wrong team at least twice.

1 minute ago, Alibi said:

I thought at the time that Delaney had pushed him in the back, but it's more that he grabs his shirt and keeps holding on.  From the replay I'd say it's a penalty, arguably a bit soft, but if Delaney had let go of his shirt sooner he'd probably have got away with it.

The Garrity incident looks like a clear penalty too - Donaldson seems to dive in and takes Garrity's legs out.  Gets the ball too but I would say it should arguably be a yellow card for Donaldson for violent conduct as well as a penalty.  The referee was atrocious, and his restarts after stoppages handed the ball to the wrong team at least twice.

I agree. Its one of those ones where it couldve gone either way. I'd be a bit peeved if it was given against us but you can also see why its been given.

Away from the predictable wind and pish from Falkirk fans, worth focusing on a few things specifically about us:

1. While the penalty award was atrocious - in keeping with an all-round atrocious performance from the clown in the middle - and completely changed the game, it’s fair to say we were pretty poor from that point on. Falkirk players clocked that the ref was clueless and played him like a fiddle for the rest of the game; we have to find ways to match that. For all the pish about ‘big bad Morton’, we let ourselves be bullied too easily: Donaldson and Henderson just fouled anything that moved, knowing the yellows wouldn’t come, and we did nothing to combat it.

2. After making a wonder-save to get us a point last week, Woods needs shot for letting the second goal past him. An embarrassment for any professional keeper (regardless of where the free-kick was taken or Ballantyne diving in when they break).

3. Delaney was awful. Panicky and hesitant (e.g. immediately prior to the penalty) and made Calvin fkn Miller look like a world-beater.

4. I spent the first hour wondering when the crowd would turn on Jet… then the last half hour wishing he was still on. Reynolds should never appear in a Morton shirt again: no touch, no football brain, doesn’t know how to jump… and adds shiteing out of tackles to the long list of deficiencies. Not a footballer. Get rid.

5. In light of the above, if Davies isn’t carrying a knock and still didn’t get on, it’s over for him n’all.

6. In light of both of the above, I quickly revised my initial view on signing McGinn: he might be 37, it certainly is a punt… but he is at least a footballer.

Overall, not much has changed: Wilson and Lyall are class, Moffat very decent… but we’re not going to win games until we sort the front end. Jet’s a month in and there’s no visible improvement; Garrity does a lot of good things, but he wants to pull wide and has none of the instincts of an actual forward.

Imrie must know the season will turn on whether he can add an actual forward; otherwise, we might find a way to win the odd game, but we won’t win often enough to stay out of trouble.

Suspect we might see McGinn playing off the Jet next week or the week after unless we can make a signing. Might work, but I’m not holding my breath…

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

10 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Away from the predictable wind and push from Falkirk fans, worth focusing on a few things specifically about us:

1. While the penalty award was atrocious - in keeping with an all-round atrocious performance from the clown in the middle - and completely changed the game, it’s fair to say we were pretty poor from that point on. Falkirk players clocked that the ref was clueless and played him like a fiddle for the rest of the game; we have to find ways to match that. For all the pish about ‘big bad Morton’, we let ourselves be bullied too easily: Donaldson and Henderson just fouled anything that moved, knowing the yellows wouldn’t come, and we did nothing to combat it.

2. After making a wonder-save to get us a point last week, Woods needs shot for letting the second goal past him. An embarrassment for any professional keeper (regardless of where the free-kick was taken or Ballantyne diving in when they break).

3. Delaney was awful. Panicky and hesitant (e.g. immediately prior to the penalty) and made Calvin fkn Miller look like a world-beater.

4. I spent the first hour wondering when the crowd would turn on Jet… then the last half hour wishing he was still on. Reynolds should never appear in a Morton shirt again: no touch, no football brain, doesn’t know how to jump… and adds shiteing out of tackles to the long list of deficiencies. Not a footballer. Get rid.

5. In light of the above, if Davies isn’t carrying a knock and still didn’t get on, it’s over for him n’all.

6. In light of both of the above, I quickly revised my initial view on signing McGinn: he might be 37, it certainly is a punt… but he is at least a footballer.

Overall, not much has changed: Wilson and Lyall are class, Moffat very decent… but we’re not going to win games until we sort the front end. Jet’s a month in and there’s no visible improvement; Garrity does a lot of good things, but he wants to pull wide and has none of the instincts of an actual forward.

Imrie must know the season will turn on whether he can add an actual forward; otherwise, we might find a way to win the odd game, but we won’t win often enough to stay out of trouble.

Suspect we might see McGinn playing off the Jet next week or the week after unless we can make a signing. Might work, but I’m not holding my breath…

Being harsh on Woods for the second goal. Tait is very clever in opening up his body and rolling the ball into the far corner. Great finish.

7 hours ago, Alibi said:

The Garrity incident looks like a clear penalty too - Donaldson seems to dive in and takes Garrity's legs out.  Gets the ball too but I would say it should arguably be a yellow card for Donaldson for violent conduct as well as a penalty. 

Violent conduct.  f**king behave yourself.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Away from the predictable wind and pish from Falkirk fans, worth focusing on a few things specifically about us:

Feck me!

Hadn't heard about any of the penalty controversies but I've just watched it and you have to say the ref certainly got it wrong for Donaldson's challenge and he's not too clever on the one he awarded as well. I am genuinely struggling to see where the foul is on that one! Great goal to win it at the end from Falkirk though!

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Good to see such a balanced Morton fan

Carrying a chip on both shoulders 😉

1 hour ago, Shibuya said:

Hadn't heard about any of the penalty controversies but I've just watched it and you have to say the ref certainly got it wrong for Donaldson's challenge and he's not too clever on the one he awarded as well. I am genuinely struggling to see where the foul is on that one! Great goal to win it at the end from Falkirk though!

Time for you to visit Specsavers 🤔

Football isn't for you is it?

On 31/08/2024 at 17:55, gav-ffc said:

2 hours ago, Shibuya said:

Curious that literally every neutral who has commented on it has gone with your stance of Falkirk's not being a penalty while Donaldson's tackle on Garrity (getting the ball is irrelevant if you wipe the man out first) should have been, yet no Falkirk fans have agreed.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I think the reality of JET, Reynolds and Davies all being varying degrees of terrible makes the decision to sign McGinn worse, not better. Yeah, maybe the thought process is that he'll be a better foil for a centre forward than Garrity and that might prove to be the case, but we now have a squad of 21 with no competent centre forwards and only two full backs, but nine 'anywhere behind a striker' types. We can't just keep adding more attacking players in the hope we'll start winning games through having incremental improvements on the wing or in attacking midfield when everyone playing there is being hamstrung by not having a credible centre forward to play off - it's no use adding a better foil for a centre forward when you don't have one worthy of the title.

2 hours ago, Shibuya said:

Plenty of photos been posted showing the Morton idiot pulling the shirt of Tait.

Pretty obvious penalty to be honest.

12 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Violent conduct.  f**king behave yourself.

Yes, to be fair perhaps not quite reaching that threshold, but it looks like a two footed tackle on the video. Seen a lot of red cards given for similar although it was hardly in the top ten horrendous tackles shortlist. Definite penalty for me, as was Falkirk’s.