Yet another US shooting

7 hours ago, chomp my root said:

While I accept that its the 64 thousand dollar question, have you got any idea how ridiculous the notion is. Without doing any research, the countries that tolerate the laissez faire approach you're talking about are America and sections of the third world. 

I don't know if it was on Clinton's or Bush's watch that the 10 year moratorium ceased but apart from it being an election year, it was an unpopular 'law', especially with those that didn't have assault rifles. I'm not sure why they felt the need for them, other than the boy next door had one but hey ho.  

I'm not unsympathetic to firearms, I've used them most my life, only ever used automatic weapons in the Military, never wanted one in my private life, there are much better alternatives for hunting and sports shooting. Handguns, I get too, maybe not the need to carry them day to day but I accept the cultural differences as well as the differences in crime (partially because every fecker has a gun so sort of self perpetuating). 

Serious question, do you as an individual think America is a better place because individuals can own (and hoard) automatic weapons and unlimited amounts of ammunition ?

I don't think semi-automatic "assault rifles" make much difference one way or the other.

Since you're experienced with firearms let me ask you a question. Imagine you're someone with limited or median firearms experience. You are going to carry out a mass shooting in a confined, enclosed, and crowded space like a church or dance club. Your only goal is a high body count. Wouldn't a few handguns with extended clips be more effective than an AK-47? That's always been my perception as a person with median firearms experience. 

As for my opinion on the effects of stricter gun control laws in general: I don't think it's possible to stop mass killings. People who want to do that will find a way. I suspect they would decrease domestic type incidents but increase organized criminal attacks on normal law abiding people. 

I think gun ownership is very low in 3rd world countries. Much higher in large parts of Europe. For reference, Wikipedia says that Mexico is behind the following European countries in gun ownership rates: Luxembourg, Czech, Belgium, Bosnia, Sweden, Croatia, Greece, Montenegro, Macedonia, Switzerland, Germany, Iceland, Austria, France, Norway, Finland, Cyprus, and Serbia. I'd imagine you'd be much more scared to randomly travel through Mexico than any of those other countries.

55 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I don't think semi-automatic "assault rifles" make much difference one way or the other.

Since you're experienced with firearms let me ask you a question. Imagine you're someone with limited or median firearms experience. You are going to carry out a mass shooting in a confined, enclosed, and crowded space like a church or dance club. Your only goal is a high body count. Wouldn't a few handguns with extended clips be more effective than an AK-47? That's always been my perception as a person with median firearms experience. 

As for my opinion on the effects of stricter gun control laws in general: I don't think it's possible to stop mass killings. People who want to do that will find a way. I suspect they would decrease domestic type incidents but increase organized criminal attacks on normal law abiding people. 

I think gun ownership is very low in 3rd world countries. Much higher in large parts of Europe. For reference, Wikipedia says that Mexico is behind the following European countries in gun ownership rates: Luxembourg, Czech, Belgium, Bosnia, Sweden, Croatia, Greece, Montenegro, Macedonia, Switzerland, Germany, Iceland, Austria, France, Norway, Finland, Cyprus, and Serbia. I'd imagine you'd be much more scared to randomly travel through Mexico than any of those other countries.

The sad thing is you're not even trolling.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If you had to live in Greenock ...

I'd like to think he and VikingT would become close friends. MM would introduce VT to mushroom suppers and they'd sit down together with a beer as VT reads extracts to MM from the Morton FC Almanac, 1970-2005, Vol, I-XV, The Glory Years. 

Edited by Shandon Par

9 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I'd imagine you'd be much more scared to randomly travel through Mexico than any of those other countries.

I may not have previously mentioned I taught in some of Chicago's worst areas but I'd be less scared randomly travelling through, say, Austin or Englewood, than goin anywhere in the US with you!

14 hours ago, chomp my root said:

The sad thing is you're not even trolling.

All the points I made were thought out and logical.

Handguns are just as dangerous as assault rifles in crowded and confined spaces.

I suspect the murder rate has more to do with the amount of violent criminals in a society and the ability of a government justice system to function properly than the amount of guns. In fact, increasing guns in law abiding hands could potentially lower certain classes of murders.

In general loads of the most violent countries have very low gun ownership rates and loads of the most peaceful countries have very high rates when you compare across the world. Don't think there's much of a correlation. 

14 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

At the current rate of killings, TheProgressiveLiberal will likely be machine gunned to oblivion by a God-fearing white American any day now. Praise the Lord! 

If you look at the real statistics, as a white American who's not a violent criminal I'm not more likely to be murdered in the USA than in the UK.

14 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

If you look at the real statistics, as a white American who's not a violent criminal I'm not more likely to be murdered in the USA than in the UK.

Have you similarly doctored the UK statistics so that it excludes all 'violent criminals'? 

I'd surmise that a majority of murder victims in Glasgow have convictions for assault, etc. Doesn't mean knife crime isn't a problem when they're stabbed to death. 

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 13:18, Shandon Par said:

I'd like to think he and VikingT would become close friends. MM would introduce VT to mushroom suppers and they'd sit down together with a beer as VT reads extracts to MM from the Morton FC Almanac, 1970-2005, Vol, I-XV, The Glory Years. 

An Almanac with only one sentence in it? Certainly different.