Yet another US shooting

41 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I've posted this a million times, but here's a million and one. We had an assault rifle ban. Our government studied it's effects. Their conclusion was that if it saved any lives it was too small a number to measure. Our Congress then chose to let the ban expire. You can look it up.

Give an original population a head start of hundreds of years and it's hard to shake the original culture they put down. It can be done with enough immigration of course. There was very little immigration to the US south, which is the area that took a high % of lowest British colonists, until the past few decades. Almost all immigration was to the North, which was largely settled by nice middle of the road Brits and Germans. The poorest people in Ireland, Italy, etc moving there probably served to make the North more violent if I had to guess.

It might have been more effective if they'd removed the assault rifles still in circulation,  all you had was a culture of those with them and those without, some of who did want them.  That's why whenever there's even a whiff of another ban being put in place more go out and buy them to beat the anticipated 'dead'line. 

Things change anyway, there seems to have been an increase in the 'newsworthy' mass slayings, certainly more than there was leading up to the last ban. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

I'm assuming this is what you're referring to.

Wasn't there a federal tax collector killed a few years back in the deep south? I think you would need near unanimous political will and public support to effectively disarm the entire population and it looks you'll never get that especially in such a polarised state the US is in now.

3 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I'm not sure if the Wash Post is behind a paywall in the UK, but I assume you're talking about this video.

The neighbor of the church who engaged the shooter and flagged down this gentleman was a NRA instructor.

Is the previous poster correct that these people would face charges in Europe? That seems insane.

The boy can afford a gun but not a fucking dentist.

The neighbor of the church who engaged the shooter and flagged down this gentleman was a NRA instructor.
Is the previous poster correct that these people would face charges in Europe? That seems insane.

Murder charges seem insane to you?

9 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

You’re trying to say if passers by perused a fleeing murderer and shot him dead, they wouldn’t face criminal charges in the UK or other European countries?

They didn't. Shots were exchanged, he was hit twice and drove away, they followed, he crashed and shot himself. If they hadn't intervened it's likely more people would be dead. You are allowed to use sufficient force to prevent a worse crime. There were a load of people hiding in restaurant (I think) across the road, it's likely they would have been next. If the bystanders had shot him in the head they would not have been charged in the UK.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

They didn't. Shots were exchanged, he was hit twice and drove away, they followed, he crashed and shot himself. If they hadn't intervened it's likely more people would be dead. You are allowed to use sufficient force to prevent a worse crime. There were a load of people hiding in restaurant (I think) across the road, it's likely they would have been next. If the bystanders had shot him in the head they would not have been charged in the UK.

The last I heard, it was unconfirmed whether he’d been fatally wounded by the bystanders or had killed himself.  Either way, the fact that they actively pursued him in a high speed car chase whilst he was fleeing, which led to another shootout.  They would be charged in the UK

Just now, MONKMAN said:

The last I heard, it was unconfirmed whether he’d been fatally wounded by the bystanders or had killed himself.  Either way, the fact that they actively pursued him in a high speed car chase whilst he was fleeing, which led to another shootout.  They would be charged in the UK

There was no other shoot out and they were communicating with the police throughout the pursuit. 

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

They likely would have to answer some questions about the gun they used.

Aye, but if they nicked it out of a police car or broke into a gun shop, while it was going on, no charges.

13 hours ago, chomp my root said:

It might have been more effective if they'd removed the assault rifles still in circulation,  all you had was a culture of those with them and those without, some of who did want them.  That's why whenever there's even a whiff of another ban being put in place more go out and buy them to beat the anticipated 'dead'line. 

Things change anyway, there seems to have been an increase in the 'newsworthy' mass slayings, certainly more than there was leading up to the last ban. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

I'm assuming this is what you're referring to.

Ok. If you have an idea of how to remove assault weapons from circulation without sparking a civil war I'm all ears. There's a reason Clinton didn't bother to try in the ban he passed.

13 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Wasn't there a federal tax collector killed a few years back in the deep south? I think you would need near unanimous political will and public support to effectively disarm the entire population and it looks you'll never get that especially in such a polarised state the US is in now.

There was a census work who killed himself and staged it to look like a right wing murder in Kentucky. Of course the fake media tried to pin it to the tea party before the truth came out.

12 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

The boy can afford a gun but not a fucking dentist.

He had the truck, not the gun. Probably spent his straight teeth money on that fresh neck tattoo. 

7 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Ok. If you have an idea of how to remove assault weapons from circulation without sparking a civil war I'm all ears. There's a reason Clinton didn't bother to try in the ban he passed.

There was a census work who killed himself and staged it to look like a right wing murder in Kentucky. Of course the fake media tried to pin it to the tea party before the truth came out.

He had the truck, not the gun. Probably spent his straight teeth money on that fresh neck tattoo. 

While I accept that its the 64 thousand dollar question, have you got any idea how ridiculous the notion is. Without doing any research, the countries that tolerate the laissez faire approach you're talking about are America and sections of the third world. 

I don't know if it was on Clinton's or Bush's watch that the 10 year moratorium ceased but apart from it being an election year, it was an unpopular 'law', especially with those that didn't have assault rifles. I'm not sure why they felt the need for them, other than the boy next door had one but hey ho.  

I'm not unsympathetic to firearms, I've used them most my life, only ever used automatic weapons in the Military, never wanted one in my private life, there are much better alternatives for hunting and sports shooting. Handguns, I get too, maybe not the need to carry them day to day but I accept the cultural differences as well as the differences in crime (partially because every fecker has a gun so sort of self perpetuating). 

Serious question, do you as an individual think America is a better place because individuals can own (and hoard) automatic weapons and unlimited amounts of ammunition ?

4 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

How about hiking the tax on bullets by say 1000%?