Yet another US shooting

It's also a bit tricky to take on someone firing an assault rifle with a handgun. How would you get close enough?
Well, because a good guy with a gun is the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun. Surely thats all the due diligence that needs to be put in to this?

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I hope we do not try to have a rational discussion on here about the pros and cons of arming teachers.

It is a batshit mental idea and we should not legitimise it.

I'm sort of with you in that it's an idea that, without even examining, is complete madness, but there's no harm in poking at the glaring holes at it on P&B.

The insanity of the thing is that there's a real risk that the idea of arming a proportion of school teachers might have to be debated by relevant parties in the states (legislators, teaching unions, gun lobbies). Time, money, resources spent arguing for and against an idea about as palatable as Arsenic flavour ice cream.

I mean surely this isn't going to get any further than most of Trump's  typical "disengage brain, open mouth" ideas spouted to play up to his supporter base, before he gets bored and moves on to the next thing... but then again a depressing portion of America is dangerously stupid when it comes to firearm control, so perhaps not.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

This plays right into conspiracy theorists hands. They'll argue he was ordered not to go in and kill the guy so he stood outside for 4 minutes to elt the killer do what he had to do. The reality is that the guy, whilst trained to shoot, clearly doesn't have the confidence or ability to actually shoot someone dead. Entirely blows the "arm the teachers" approach out of the water.

You just have to arm all the teachers, stick them on an island battle royale style and the survivors are ready to teach in a US school.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Does the bible in America have an appendix dealing specifically with all matters America?

of course - it was released at around the same time as the addendum to the American Constitution updating the passage about the right to bear a single-shot muzzle loading musket with a firing rate of about one shot every two minutes, which couldn't hit a barn door at five paces to also apply to rapid-fire automatic weaponry that can fire armour piercing bullets with inch-perfect accuracy from up to a mile away, or spray a schoolyard with thousands of rounds in a matter of seconds...

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:
19 hours ago, senorsoupe said:
My Cousin John lives in Scotland, he's in Glasgow, you have better odds of knowing him than I do of knowing your Aunt Rae you plonker

My sister lives in Toronto. I hope she doesn't know anyone related to that weirdo!

I'm quite glad that I only have a 35,000,000/1 chance of knowing one of his kind!

I'm quite glad that I only have a 35,000,000/1 chance of knowing one of his kind!

I think you’ve got your sums wrong

The 35,000,000 is roughly accurate but surely the number of people you know is greater than 1

Even people living in huts in Northern Saskatchewan will surely know more than one person

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I think you’ve got your sums wrong

The 35,000,000 is roughly accurate but surely the number of people you know is greater than 1

Even people living in huts in Northern Saskatchewan will surely know more than one person

35 million for Canada but only 13.4 million for Ontario.

Assuming half are women then that is down to 6.7 million.

Excluding children - 5.6 million maybe

Possibly Scottish connection, vaguely interested in football or know somebody who is, similarly likely to go to a Scottish football forum while based in Ontario, likely to get enraged that they might know a complete stranger, etc, etc.  I would say about 1 in 12 chance allowing for all these factors

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If you walk in a straight line towards them, the spray pattern means they would never actually hit you.

Probably.

That,  roughly speaking , was Hearts' tactics for a tricky away fixture at the Somme

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

If you walk in a straight line towards them, the spray pattern means they would never actually hit you.

Probably.

We need someone from P&B to test this theory.

Someone whose username starts with the letters MC perhaps.