Men and Foreign Languages

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I speak a standard grade equivalent of German. When I was in Berlin I must have somehow ordered coffee wrong however, as the lady behind the counter burst out laughing and then asked me what I wanted in English. Fair to say it didn't exactly help my confidence in my German skills.

Also thought I'd try learn some Slovenian because my stepmother is from there, but promptly gave up when I learned that it's one of a handful of languages to use a dual plural. So there is a separate word for a singular, two things, and then three or more things. Though a quick Google suggests that Gaelic is also one of those languages. So there you go,

Nae excuses, but it can be difficult for native English speakers at times epecially in Nordic, Benlux countries for as soon as they find out you are Scottish (or English as the mother tongue) many will automatically switch to English. I had a 10 minute conversation with a Swede all in Swedish, my Swedish is probably a bit shit, but we battered on and it wasn't until he asked what country I was from that he said "Oh you should have said so. I speak English" :)

Tons of younger folk also will switch straight away on hearing your accent in these countries. I've also had people reply instantly in English when asked a question in their native language. So, a bit of a vibe killer for the try hard, and then you think 'Ah f**k it, might as well just speak English anyway'.

I'm surprised Germans are so good at speaking English. Considering their TV, film is all dubbed. They are always so modest too when asked if they speak English, 99% of the time the reply will be something like 'Yes, a little'.

I always try and learn the do you speak English bit even if it's somewhere that usually does. I might be going to England/Wales/Ireland in the summer and plan on that phrase in Welsh. In Scandinavia, apart from a few don't think they are that impressed at a tourist/foreigner learning the basics - or maybe they are too aloof sober to say, but different in places like Spain, Germany, France -if you batter on in shite French first rather than going up to them straight away in English, they are much friendlier/helpful.

Romanian isn't linked to Croatian but was very similar to Dalmation which still has some left over in Croatian.

Also Romanian is a latin language but with Slavic influence. Probably closer to Italian than any other language but lots of Slavic words so can pick up things when someone speaks anything from Eastern Europe for the most part. She's also from a place in Romania where Hungarian is first language for nearly half the population. She's the only member of her family who isn't fluent.

I can get by in Spanish/French/Romanian for the basic touristy stuff.

Yeah, one word to link us all - CURVA. ;)

Nae excuses, but it can be difficult for native English speakers at times epecially in Nordic, Benlux countries for as soon as they find out you are Scottish (or English as the mother tongue) many will automatically switch to English. I had a 10 minute conversation with a Swede all in Swedish, my Swedish is probably a bit shit, but we battered on and it wasn't until he asked what country I was from that he said "Oh you should have said so. I speak English" :)

Tons of younger folk also will switch straight away on hearing your accent in these countries. I've also had people reply instantly in English when asked a question in their native language. So, a bit of a vibe killer for the try hard, and then you think 'Ah f**k it, might as well just speak English anyway'.

I'm surprised Germans are so good at speaking English. Considering their TV, film is all dubbed. They are always so modest too when asked if they speak English, 99% of the time the reply will be something like 'Yes, a little'.

I always try and learn the do you speak English bit even if it's somewhere that usually does. I might be going to England/Wales/Ireland in the summer and plan on that phrase in Welsh. In Scandinavia, apart from a few don't think they are that impressed at a tourist/foreigner learning the basics - or maybe they are too aloof sober to say, but different in places like Spain, Germany, France -if you batter on in shite French first rather than going up to them straight away in English, they are much friendlier/helpful.

They weren't so fucking modest in 1939!

In Scandinavia, apart from a few don't think they are that impressed at a tourist/foreigner learning the basics

I know a few folk who have lived in Stavanger / Bergen for a few years and their knowledge of Norwegian can be equalled by reading a phrase book for 5 mins. They're always quick to use the "everyone changes to English" excuse, but surely ???

I know a few folk who have lived in Stavanger / Bergen for a few years and their knowledge of Norwegian can be equalled by reading a phrase book for 5 mins. They're always quick to use the "everyone changes to English" excuse, but surely ???

I've not lived in Stavanger but I have been there a couple of dozen times. Within the 'oil community' Norwegians are close to/in a minority in most companies/offices.

When it comes to living there....the (many) non-Norwegians ask their colleagues for help when it comes to things like taxing their car, insurance, utility bills.

I am not surprised by this.

My mate is now fluent in Dutch which obviously comes in handy seeing he lives there now.

His work is teaching him French at the moment, which should keep him in his work for the foreseeable future.

He's pretty much set for his career. It will only dry up if peace comes across Africa and that doesn't look likely....

Archived