Summer Football

The summer move only worked in Oirland because it provided a novelty factor for the trumpets who f**k off to Premier League games the rest of the year. It's a terrible analogy, as its not even the second-best attended event in its country. I dont think anyone's going to fall out with the game here if they followed that route, but there are sociological and practical reasons we play when we currently do. The idea that the holidays during the season seriously affect numbers on the scale comparible with summer holidays is a nonsense....its about the number of things football will be competing against outwith its control. Sky are also hardly eager to part with more dough for the SPFL just to fill their schedule.....they'll have enough subscritions this year for F1, the Ashes and the endless PGA tour events. Starting with the early lower-Cup rounds in mid-July, opening the league on the last weekend, finishing up on New Years Day/2nd and restarting the first weekend in February with the last 32/16 of the Scottish Cup wouldn't be the worst move.....packing fixtures in towards the end shouldnt be hard, even uf its so as not to clash with the bloody Champions League final unnecessarily taking away a fairly useful entire weekend. Time without football at the flick of a switch is a very very good thing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally; I wouldn't miss games in Jan/ Feb (after the New Year game of course).

In order to fit in all the games, you are looking at starting the season in Feb or March and finishing in October or November. I really don't see the point in knocking our game out of sync with the majority of Europe so we can play during June and July when every second year you have the world or European cup.

In order to fit in all the games, you are looking at starting the season in Feb or March and finishing in October or November. I really don't see the point in knocking our game out of sync with the majority of Europe so we can play during June and July when every second year you have the world or European cup.

nah, most of season played between April and September, send it on

Hopefully summer football will be introduced soon.

Watching football in the summer months,wearing a t shirt is much more enjoyable than sitting freezing watching a match on a cold,damp winter's night.

Summer football will attract more people, provide better comfort and conditions for the fans and provide more opportunities for commercial sponsorship ( who wants to sponsor a lower league mid week match in the middle of winter which attracts an attendance of 300 people ) ?

Issues such as player's holidays, world cup matches and Uefa fixtures are all surmountable with sensible planning and an element of flexibility etc.

In addition to summer football , we need to expand the league tables and look at providing cheaper match tickets.

Summer football- yes please !

nah, most of season played between April and September, send it on

Yes, but you are starting the season in February which will more than likely result in a large number of postponed matches. You also have to wrap the league up in November to be able to play the play offs in December. You'll be up against to get the league games and play offs finished if there is bad weather in November and December.

I would prefer the season starting earlier in July and having a winter shut down in Dec or January that way we get the best of both worlds.

Ideally I'd be in favour of spring/summer/autumn season for the lower leagues/ part timers. But for the Premier they should play through the winter - providing some entertainment in the dark winter months. They've also undersoil heating and decent stadium facilities. One advantage _ you'd probably enhance the crowds at all levels, One/minor disadvantage - a bit of a time gap between promotion/relegation so might need to use a formula ( like some S American leagues use)

Ideally I'd be in favour of spring/summer/autumn season for the lower leagues/ part timers. But for the Premier they should play through the winter - providing some entertainment in the dark winter months. They've also undersoil heating and decent stadium facilities. One advantage _ you'd probably enhance the crowds at all levels, One/minor disadvantage - a bit of a time gap between promotion/relegation so might need to use a formula ( like some S American leagues use)

So many flaws here its difficult to start....

Watching the women's World Cup. The artificial pitch, the sunny hot conditions, the crowd populated with new fans in t shirts who don't know what's going on. Summer fitba, let's not eh...

Aye cause the weather here in summer is brilliant. We get what, a whole 2 weeks tops of decent weather. Artificial pitches are terrible aswell slows the game right down

Fotball takes your mind off the shite weather. Gives hope through the dark months. Unlike most countries, we are built to thrive in shite conditions. We work harder when its cold, and thats not just a fact....its a human reaction. Much better to enjoy the sunshine doing absolutely f**k all, as little distractions as possible.

Aye cause the weather here in summer is brilliant. We get what, a whole 2 weeks tops of decent weather. Artificial pitches are terrible aswell slows the game right down

not always brilliant weather, but better weather, send it on, can't wait

not always brilliant weather, but better weather, send it on, can't wait

Aye. Another fantastic summers day today for it eh....

Thank god it'll never happen.

You'll get 2 or 3 more decent Saturdays a season.

Eta: @ScotlandSky: Heat wave?!

@RaithRovers_FC have been forced to postpone their friendly against @BrechinCityFC because of last night's heavy rain.

#SSNHQ :lol:

Aye. Another fantastic summers day today for it eh....

Thank god it'll never happen.

You'll get 2 or 3 more decent Saturdays a season.

Eta: @ScotlandSky: Heat wave?!

@RaithRovers_FC have been forced to postpone their friendly against @BrechinCityFC because of last night's heavy rain.

#SSNHQ :lol:

How can one be so young, but be so narrow minded and backward thinking, postponements during summer will be very, very unusual, so come on lighten up, no more "seethe", you will feel better, trust me :thumsup2:thumsup2

How can one be so young, but be so narrow minded and backward thinking, postponements during summer will be very, very unusual, so come on lighten up, no more "seethe", you will feel better, trust me :thumsup2:thumsup2

Not backwards Ecto, the only game last season I can remember struggling at was the QP game at home!! :P

The season is fine the way it is!

Archived