Summer Football

Not backwards Ecto, the only game last season I can remember struggling at was the QP game at home!! :P

The season is fine the way it is!

sorry, but it is not fine, the overall game experience has got to improve to encourage people through the gates, if not low attendances are here to stay and clubs continue to struggle, so the "season is fine the way it is", I think not, I am truly sorry you cant see that

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry, but it is not fine, the overall game experience has got to improve to encourage people through the gates, if not low attendances are here to stay and clubs continue to struggle, so the "season is fine the way it is", I think not, I am truly sorry you cant see that

So what constitutes 'improving matchday experience'?? Topless cheerleaders?? Flying circus?? Those will only highlight further how shite the game is. Where i think people's frustrstion is coming from is the CONSUMER experience, given that you're buying a product, one which you know will be inferior, and the conditions in which its performed, the minute you purchase your ST or go through the turnstile. Make all the excuses you want, your club, my club, everybody's club treats them like shit. Whether your team is Man United, demanding that you spend 42 quid to go to the Torquay Carling Cup tie or risk losing your £850 season book; or Arbroath, a club who can't even be arsed closing off a roof over the corner of the terracing to protect their own fans from the North Sea gales. Garnering fans' groups for support and opinions displays just what lazy gormless fucks they are. They'll still come pecking at the arse of Ecto and the other summer fitba' comedians when the tourists have had their 'sunshine freebies' which clubs would inevitably roll out as some revolutionary gimmick.

So what constitutes 'improving matchday experience'?? Topless cheerleaders?? Flying circus?? Those will only highlight further how shite the game is. Where i think people's frustrstion is coming from is the CONSUMER experience, given that you're buying a product, one which you know will be inferior, and the conditions in which its performed, the minute you purchase your ST or go through the turnstile. Make all the excuses you want, your club, my club, everybody's club treats them like shit. Whether your team is Man United, demanding that you spend 42 quid to go to the Torquay Carling Cup tie or risk losing your £850 season book; or Arbroath, a club who can't even be arsed closing off a roof over the corner of the terracing to protect their own fans from the North Sea gales. Garnering fans' groups for support and opinions displays just what lazy gormless fucks they are. They'll still come pecking at the arse of Ecto and the other summer fitba' comedians when the tourists have had their 'sunshine freebies' which clubs would inevitably roll out as some revolutionary gimmick.

So are you in favour of Summer football or not, cannot tell through all the "seethe"

You're acting like League Two teams will suddenly be pulling consistent figures in the thousands if summer football were to happen.

There's no evidence that attendances will increase with summer football. It would make conditions better for those of us who attend anyway - unless it's a Saturday in July like this where games are called off - but for part-timers who take in the occasional game, they'll have far more alternatives to football on a warm summer day than they do in winter. There's no reason they'd be more likely to attend. Irish attendances were barely any different, and that's despite the fact that football is only the third most attended support in Ireland and the switch to summer took part of their season out of competition with Rugby.

You're acting like League Two teams will suddenly be pulling consistent figures in the thousands if summer football were to happen.

I am really not suggesting that at all

There's no evidence that attendances will increase with summer football. It would make conditions better for those of us who attend anyway - unless it's a Saturday in July like this where games are called off - but for part-timers who take in the occasional game, they'll have far more alternatives to football on a warm summer day than they do in winter. There's no reason they'd be more likely to attend. Irish attendances were barely any different, and that's despite the fact that football is only the third most attended support in Ireland and the switch to summer took part of their season out of competition with Rugby.

who says games have to be played during the day, surely mid summer games could be played early evening, which leaves the daytime for other pursuits, you are right in one thing, there is no evidence that gates will improve, then again unless we give it a go we will never know, Football is the Number 1 spectator sport in this country, so your comparison with Ireland, where Football barely gets a look in is pointless

I'd much rather the season stayed the same as it is now. Much more to do in the summer when there's no football than there is in the winter

huddled together in a howling gale, superb :blink:

you speak as if you're being forced to go to games!

My team is my team, no matter the conditions

Well said Aggro and well said Dunning.

I think there's a chance attendances would actually drop, if anything.

What utter garbage, "you cannot be serious man"

if that's true then why are you so bothered about a move to summer football?

never doubt the commitment I have to our team, surely better conditions should improve the product, the viewing experience, less games being ruined by high winds, I do not see many negatives about Summer Football

What utter garbage, "you cannot be serious man"

How not? Plenty of other things to do for your fair weather fan when the weathers slightly better

People going on holidays and trips away doing things, watching and playing other sports more. School holidays aswell, people doing more with their kids at the weekend etc.

The weather isn't even that bad, you get a few Baltic days throughout the season but you'd still have shite days no matter when a season was played, we live in Scotland

Fwiw: I wouldn't mind a winter break for 2/3 weeks.

I would condense our season from May-July and have the national team refuse to play out with these months either. And also only play on days the sun is out.

How not? Plenty of other things to do for your fair weather fan when the weathers slightly better

People going on holidays and trips away doing things, watching and playing other sports more. School holidays aswell, people doing more with their kids at the weekend etc.

The weather isn't even that bad, you get a few Baltic days throughout the season but you'd still have shite days no matter when a season was played, we live in Scotland

Fwiw: I wouldn't mind a winter break for 2/3 weeks.

First time for everything, but.......^^^^ this. Four of the lads on regular away trips (inc me) were extremely fortunate enough to be able to fix up our wedding days in the close season. Not because there was nae fitba, but its cos the dates and venues were suitable. If they weren't, and the dates became during the season, there's no contest which is going to win. We obviously wont be the only ones to have done so. Take ten or a dozen 'fitba' mates per geezer, thats a hefty whack of genuine supporters who won't be going to games, all the time, during this fabled 'summer switch'.

Archived