Kilmarnock v Dundee opening day.

I remember this time last season.

Killie fans telling us we were in for a long hard season whilst talking up their top 6 credentials. With that in mind please forgive us for taking what you say with a pinch of salt lads.

At the moment we are the better side on paper, you have the pitch and the maverick kris Boyd (if he can replicate previous Killie spells) in your favour. I'm not as confident as some Dees for Saturday but I think over the season we will finish above you comfortably.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon Kris Boyd can drag Killie kicking and screaming to many points over the course of the season - I still think Dundee will finish above Killie in the long run - but I'm not at all confident about this weekend.

If there was too be a combined 11 from Dundee and Kilmarnock then the team would be all Dundee players and a Dundee manager. It is that simple.

McCulloch :lol: Boyd :lol: Smith :lol: Carrick :lol: Robinson :lol: Higginbotham :lol: Locke :lol:

Dundee have some good players and a good manager but you Sir, are the King of hyperbole - congratulations!

:lol: Killie fan trying to tell us about 'our squad' and struggling when all you've signed are aged, mostly injured, Rangers failures.

I'll bet you 17 pence to the charity of your choice that Killie will finish below Dundee come the end of the season.

I remember this time last season.

Killie fans telling us we were in for a long hard season whilst talking up their top 6 credentials. With that in mind please forgive us for taking what you say with a pinch of salt lads.

At the moment we are the better side on paper, you have the pitch and the maverick kris Boyd (if he can replicate previous Killie spells) in your favour. I'm not as confident as some Dees for Saturday but I think over the season we will finish above you comfortably.

To be fair the talking up part was before we knew what kind of manager AJ was . His QOS team played good football how were we to know it would all go pear shaped

:lol: Killie fan trying to tell us about 'our squad' and struggling when all you've signed are aged, mostly injured, Rangers failures.

How dare you! We also signed Hearts players as well.

Dundee have recruited, certainly IMO, well this summer. Kevin Holt will be a great addition, and I'd have loved him at Killie. Julen was only really at East Fife to put himself in the shop window, and will go on to be an excellent signing. Hemmings could go either way especially considering he did so well in the lower leagues because he had the strength and pace that others didn't - however those he'll be up against in the Premiership do possess those qualities.

I personally think they might need another body in midfield, but with the squad they have then it would be a failure from Hartley if they don't at the very least push for top six all the way.

As for Killie, it's very easy to write our squad off from an outsiders point of view. However, if it's looked at with a bit of thought then you'd see that Locke has recruited fairly well this summer so far.

Since Liam Kelly left we've lacked a box-to-box midfielder who can just win the ball back and recycle play, and Scott Robinson will fill that role very well. We needed another centre back and brought in Findlay from Celtic who is highly thought of and has really impressed in pre-season. Losing Eremenko's set piece delivery was a blow (especially as we scored the most set piece goals last season) but Smith and Higginbotham both have good deliveries. The signing of Higginbotham not only significantly weakens one of our league rivals, but it gives us that creative spark that we're missing. Smith has been good in pre-season too, and if he can stay fit will have a decent season. No better or worse than Chantler. MacDonald is a slight upgrade on Samson and Carrick will provide far better back-up than Lee Miller or Nathan Eccleston.

As for Boyd, well he'll score goals if we give him the chances. We created plenty last season but had the worst conversion rate in the division (even worse than St Mirren) so desperately needed that guy to put the chances away. With Higginbotham's delivery, McKenzie and Obadeyi's pace, Magennis' strength and Kiltie/Johnston's trickery then Boyd will get chances.

My aim this season will be to finish 7th or 8th and no lower. Build a fit squad with Dave Sykes now on board, and look to push on in 2016/17. Anything less than that and questions need to be answered from the board and Locke.

Either way, Dundee fans are happy with their business and Killie fans are happy with ours. I have no issues with Dundee and hope they do well, this Saturday and all future games against Kilmarnock aside. They're certainly more likeable than their cross-street rivals.

Spot on QLP. I think Dundee will be one of the teams it'd be better to play earlier as they will have the potential to go on a decent run once they are into their stride. I've got a sneaky feeling Killie will win this one, (3-1), no reason for this other than a hunch. However, I'm fairly sure Dundee will finish above us in the league.

They are definitely more likeable than United. Also Celtic, Partick, Hearts, ICT, and Aberdeen IMO.

They also travel in good numbers and make decent noise which is becoming rarer in the Premiership, (some other recent additions bring 25 people and a dug and we don't even open the away stand for them). :wub:

Good post QLP.

I fancy Killie to exceed many people's expectations. I can't get behind smith as a full back and you can only hope McCullouch wasn't signed to actually play but apart from that you have made good additions.

If Boyd rediscovers his form you could be in for a good season. It's a big gamble but it sounds like he's doing the biz in preseason!

I also agree Dundee fans are great c***s.

QLP has nailed it with his post particularly regarding the Killie signings and expectations.

I also think Dundee have recruited well this summer and am glad to get them out the way early doors before they get into the swing of things.

I would like to think we can sneak the win, but think both teams and sets of fans will be going home happy after an entertaining score draw. 2-2 being my prediction

McCullouch wasn't signed to actually play

I thought the same when he signed, but he played superbly well on Saturday in defensive midfield against what was a very route one team. That probably means he won't play on Saturday, but when we face Ross County, St Johnstone etc he might feature. Likewise, he would do a job if we're desperately chasing or trying to hold on to a game.

Off the field, there's been nothing but positives that I've heard. Mentioned this before, but there's a book about Wigan's rise to the Premier League and it looks a lot at the time McCulloch was there and how he was very highly thought of. Supposedly the only player to turn up at every appearance, and was a great help to the foreign guys at the club when settling in. At Killie I've heard from a youth/fringe of the first team player that he's been fantastic since arriving.

If Boyd rediscovers his form you could be in for a good season. It's a big gamble but it sounds like he's doing the biz in preseason!

He put in the single most Kris Boyd performance on Saturday that I've ever seen. Touched the ball about three times, scored twice and set up one :lol:

To be fair, I don't think it's too much of a gamble actually. He'll be coaching, continuing to work with the young players (like he did when he was at Rangers :lol:) and just generally being great around the club. Connolly did an interview earlier this week saying that playing against Boyd in training is helping the whole team improve, which whilst probably just bluster, is still good to hear.

A lot of people are starting to warming to McCulloch at the club, especially after Sunday at the open day, he was the only player still milling around towards the end of the day, stopping to chat, pose for photos and sign autographs, especially with the young kids on the park he was brilliant, standing at the side shouting encouragement and telling them about positional play when they came off.... When I chatted to him he was a real gentleman.

No, they're just shite. (Findlay might be good, never heard of him though tbh).

Obvious troll etc...

I'll nibble re: Higginbotham though. He's far from "shite". He had a poorer season last term and still ended up with 9 direct assists (more than any Dundee player FWIW) which was the same as Crawford and Watkins. Thistle were also one of the poorer sides in terms of chance conversion, and given that KH was their main creative force, that suggests that had the finishing been better he'd have ended the season with far better stats.

Either way, he's a good addition among other good additions this summer.

Archived