When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not a yoon, but the reason the English want us to stay is ideological, nothing to do with economics. Same as why they want to leave the EU. Apart from ERG types trying to make a quick profit by short selling and fucking up everything.

Ok, I'm willing to listen. Please set out the reasoned case for this view.

Start from "We subsidise you from the good of our hearts" and end up with "the ideological case for remaining in the union"

Who knows, you may convince some ardent nationalists.

5 minutes ago, Kuro said:

It doesn't take a genius to work out.  We leave we take 96% of the oil.  That's the whole thing in a nutshell.  That's it.

Thankfully Scotland has an advanced economy and are not over dependent on raw materials like oil. We won't turn into Norway overnight after independence. That is a delusion that would be trashed in the first week of an independence campaign.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thankfully Scotland has an advanced economy and are not over dependent on raw materials like oil. We won't turn into Norway overnight after independence. That is a delusion that would be trashed in the first week of an independence campaign.

Did I say we were?  Regardless it's worth a shit ton of money and accounts for the vast majority of the natural resources of the UK.  Countries fight wars over oil FFS.  The oil in the North sea is worth more than the UKs entire national debt.

It's just wilful ignorance to pretend this isn't the number one issue.

Edited by Kuro

Next it will be water, cause guess what we've got fucking loads of and they don't have nearly enough of.  Soon we'll either be selling it to them or paying to give them it.  Countries will fight wars over that too.

If you had debt of a hundred grand and an asset worth a hundred and thirty grand would you be happy for your neighbour to take it?  Or would you fight like hell to keep it?  It's gargantually stupid to even dare to suggest oil isn't the main issue, utterly contemptuous.

Edited by Kuro

I don't think it's as simple as "one or the other" with this argument. I don't think that it's too far fetched to say many of the uber unionists in parliament are that different to those outside of it. Union at all costs and worry about the rest later.

I think most probably fall into Pep's boat though.

8 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
49 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Oil revenue amounted to 0.29% of UK GDP in 2016 apparently. It's really not a huge deal.
https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/Oil_revenue/

It really is. It's the only thing keeping the UKs balance of trade from not being terrible the last few decades and supports over 300,000. Buttons indeed.

Most of these jobs are already in Scotland. England wouldn't really be losing that much. Of course oil's important for the Scottish economy but the rUK won't panic at thought of losing their share.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, AUFC90 said:
3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Most of these jobs are already in Scotland. England wouldn't really be losing that much. 

40% are in England. I'm sure they'll hand us control of this huge industry seeing as it makes f**k all.

The jobs in England wouldn't suddenly disappear after independence, we'd still be trading and working across borders.

5 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Most of these jobs are already in Scotland. England wouldn't really be losing that much. 

40% are in England. I'm sure they'll hand us control of this huge industry seeing as it makes f**k all.

How will they control an industry in a foreign country?

14 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
The jobs in England wouldn't suddenly disappear after independence, we'd still be trading and working across borders.

Yes we would but to suggest oil and gas "isn't a big deal" is a bit daft.

It is for the Scottish economy but it's not hugely significant for the UK economy as a whole. Certainly not enough to make it the main reason for English unionists being opposed to Scottish independence, and while they're quite happy to do far more damage to their economy by pursuing Brexit.

Edited by welshbairn

The people you believe control the industry. Scotland.

Your post still makes zero sense. What I was getting at is if the industry is so small im sure Westminster will give control of the industry to Holyrood anytime now.