When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On Trident...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/mar/21/trident-nuclear-missiles-saving

Only based on a report commissioned by Professor Keith Hartley, leading defence economist though.

Of course Scotland contributes a 'proportion' of the Trident costs, but it must still run into the billions. 

I don't deny that an Independent Scotland would have to make savings/cuts in the short term. However, with strong export industries and the potential to be back in the EU, Scotland would have an opportunity to again make those different political decisions which enable growth in different areas from the rUK

At the moment we are heading for being on average £2,250 per head per year worse off assuming Johnson's Brexit deal goes through (and that is the base line of that estimate). Also expect further swinging cuts in public spending under yet another Tory govt and that figure rises. That is the reality of being part of the union over the next 10 years.

Would the cut in income per head in Scotland be above that with Independence? Doubtful I think as things stand.

Edited by Jedi

4 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

That nice we link I sent you covers both

Specifics Malky. You mentioned Coulport jobs and then provided a link including Faslane. You do know that they are not the same place? Again, how many jobs are we protecting at Coulport Malky?

11 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

Specifics Malky. You mentioned Coulport jobs and then provided a link including Faslane. You do know that they are not the same place? Again, how many jobs are we protecting at Coulport Malky?

They are 7 miles apart and all part of the same naval base. The fact check article is accurate. Read it yourself. 

BTW it's also worth the scrapping trident lunatic having a wee read as well as "Scotlands share" of the cost of Trident is clearly defined and it's nowhere near £12.6Bn per annum. 

15 minutes ago, Jedi said:

On Trident...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/mar/21/trident-nuclear-missiles-saving

Only based on a report commissioned by Professor Keith Hartley, leading defence economist though.

Of course Scotland contributes a 'proportion' of the Trident costs, but it must still run into the billions. 

I don't deny that an Independent Scotland would have to make savings/cuts in the short term. However, with strong export industries and the potential to be back in the EU, Scotland would have an opportunity to again make those different political decisions which enable growth in different areas from the rUK

At the moment we are heading for being on average £2,250 per head per year worse off assuming Johnson's Brexit deal goes through (and that is the base line of that estimate). Also expect further swinging cuts in public spending under yet another Tory govt and that figure rises. That is the reality of being part of the union over the next 10 years.

Would the cut in income per head in Scotland be above that with Independence? Doubtful I think as things stand.

All 11 Royal Navy submarines will be based on the Clyde at Faslane from 2020, seeing the number of people directly employed at the base rising to 8,200. It is also understood that Scotlands ‘share’ of Trident is around £163 million a year and the annual spend generated by the base in the local area and the wider region is estimated to be more than £270 million per year, this includes spending by the 6,500 personnel based at Faslane in the local economy

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/fact-check-many-jobs-depend-faslane/

I'd also like to see where you got the figures on Brexit - they need fact checked too. The only report I've seen is that the UK economy will continue to grow, just not as quickly as it would if we were in the EU. 

Edited by Malky3

52 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I am a thoroughgoing European remainer and have never hidden my contempt for Brexit voters.  That I despise, "empty headed Yessers" @Henderson to deliver .....in equal measure does not detract from this.

That's entirely unrelated from you being a 100% blood and soil union at all costs see no matter what raging British nationalist.

Interesting conversation the last few pages. We can easily dismiss Malky as a fantasist troll - he can never back up anything he's posted. He's basically a really thick version of Aaron Eckhart character in Thank You for Smoking - it doesn't matter how outlandish his claims are or whether he wins any debate, he just needs to muddy the water enough and try and set an agenda so that the ludicrous figures he plucks out the air are talked about and given some credence.

As for the Gincardine, was interested in his identity politics. Kind of sad to hear someone say they hate someone for having an opposition point of view. I despise the politics of Toryism, but I don't hate people who vote that way.

You're also not unique in your situations - I was educated in Scotland, spent the best part of a decade in London whilst also living and working for periods of time in Sweden, italy and now Madrid. I'm the very embodiment of someone from a working class background who benefitted from free university education and freedom of movement that has greatly enriched my life. I have Sri Lankan nephews, an English partner and will most likely have children in Spain.

I still fully believe in Scottish independence and I guess identity is part of that - my desire for Scotland to have self-determination is to greater move towards being an outward looking nation that maintains good relationships with it's near neighbours and embraces an ever shrinking world. An independent Scotland won't, I believe, narrow anyone's identity or a cultural outlook. Indeed, I believe it would have the opposite effect.

TL:DR vote yes you empty headed britnatter!

3 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Troll gonna troll. Don't engage though, pick up on a typo from a quickly written post on a phone if it makes you feel clever.

And call me 'Gincardine' to substitute for your inability to use the apostrophe. "Troll gonna troll."

Edited by The_Kincardine

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

And call me 'Gincardine' to substitute for your inability to use the apostrophe.

That's because your a gin addled old soak who hates people based on their political belief.

Imagine trying to troll about apostrophe use from a phone at your age. How was your ban? 

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

I hate people who can't distinguish between 'your' and 'you're' even more.  Oh but your on you're phone...tosser.

My word, he dived right in for your. Too easy. Put the turps down, old boy.

Why do you get so frothed up and indulge in such hatred through identity politics? 

And how was you're ban?

13 minutes ago, JMDP said:

That's because your a gin addled old soak who hates people based on their political belief.

Imagine trying to troll about apostrophe use from a phone at your age. How was your ban? 

More of a scotch than a gin man IMHO.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I hate people who can't distinguish between 'your' and 'you're' even more.  Oh but your on you're phone...tosser.

Why don't you and wee malky create your (ok for you ??) own wee thread where you both can have your (encore ??) own wee wankathon about how great it is for you both to be so f*ckin' delirious and sanctimonious about being the upstanding unionistas in this parish ??   All contrary points to your (bueno ??) soured views and wee malky's £12.6Bn shitfest armageddon prophecies are dismissed with the same, tiresome retorts.

Gie everybody a break ya smug fanny.