144th Open Championship

Davis Love III

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can US TV get in for an interview before the BBC? Pathetic.

Sums up the BBC's lacklustre coverage, typified by today's start at 1.30. The commentary and analysis was dire all week. As Sky is taking over in 2017, next year will be even worse. It seems that the BBC can't be bothered to make effort with golf any more.

Sums up the BBC's lacklustre coverage, typified by today's start at 1.30.

And Peter Alliss telling us that, "don't worry, next year you won't have to sit around watching golf all day - you can just watch our 2 hours of highlights." Nearly word for word what he said.

And Peter Alliss telling us that, "don't worry, next year you won't have to sit around watching golf all day - you can just watch our 2 hours of highlights." Nearly word for word what he said.

Alliss was referring to 2017 when Sky takes over the main television rights. His ridiculous comments probably reflect the views of his bosses. He's obviously had enough of them and no longer cares.

The BBC's Wimbledon rights end in 2017. Sky or BT Sport will probably get them.

Alliss was referring to 2017 when Sky takes over the main television rights. His ridiculous comments probably reflect the views of his bosses. He's obviously had enough of them and no longer cares.

The BBC's Wimbledon rights end in 2017. Sky or BT Sport will probably get them.

Sky are rumoured to be in negotiations to take the 2016 open off of the BBC. Apparently BBC approached them because they want out early.

Hopefully Sky get the deal done.

Sky are rumoured to be in negotiations to take the 2016 open off of the BBC. Apparently BBC approached them because they want out early.

Hopefully Sky get the deal done.

Agreed. The sooner the gowf fucks off to Sky the better.

I hate to make the obvious point but this is only good if you have a subscription to Sky Sports.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1437425360.685608.jpg

What's the rules around repairing marks on the green before making your putt like ZJ done on 18 in the play off?

He asked for a ruling and got one so no issue.

Well done to the guy for winning. Not my pick but he seemed genuinely overcome by it.

If he wants to thank the Lord or Jesus so what. Not my thing but can`t say it annoyed me in any way.

He asked for a ruling and got one so no issue.

Well done to the guy for winning. Not my pick but he seemed genuinely overcome by it.

If he wants to thank the Lord or Jesus so what. Not my thing but can`t say it annoyed me in any way.

Agree on the bottom part, his choices who he wants to thank and he seemed genuinely overcome by it all.

Wasn't questioning any wrong-doing more just interested in the ruling/what the actual rules are in that situation.

I thought a few times that Peter Alliss seemed to be saying his farewells this week, maybe he's heard that they might not have it next year and that will be him done. That and the tribute programme to him last week. His style of commentary doesn't lend itself to short highlights packages, he's more suited to filling in the gaps in play with his rambling. Next year will surely be his last, I've always liked listening to him but he's definitely losing it a wee bit in his old age.

Took the opportunity to go with the pricing being so cheap, tension towards the end was huge.

Slightly disappointed that Johnston won, definitely agree he seems like an arse, speith or Louis would have been good winners but both blew it on 17 IMO, their par puts had to go in and they weren't from that far.

The BBC coverage isn't great- although I really do like Andrew Cotter and wish they would get Sam Torrance back on, but Sky FFS, adverts every 7 minutes and "all credit" Monty on the mic, Mark Roe, Bruce Critchley et al. We'll be squealing for it to come back to the BBC halfway through day 1.

^ Agree on Sam Torrance but he's probably too busy on the seniors' tour.

Ken Brown was rambling even more more than usual this week. Mark James ought to record CDs and MPs as a cures for insomniacs. Dan Walker makes me cringe. Only Andrew Cotter made an effort to inform and entertain.

Ken Brown and Andrew Cotter are good, both actually make an attempt to be informative. Like I say I've always quite liked Alliss but his time is almost up I think. Mark James is literally pointless, he doesn't seem to know anything, or at least makes no attempt to show that he does. None of them are Colin Montgomerie though, which probably means that BBC beat Sky on that alone.

Ken Brown and Andrew Cotter are good, both actually make an attempt to be informative. Like I say I've always quite liked Alliss but his time is almost up I think. Mark James is literally pointless, he doesn't seem to know anything, or at least makes no attempt to show that he does. None of them are Colin Montgomerie though, which probably means that BBC beat Sky on that alone.

I've long said Alliss' "jump the shark" moment was when Mickelson won his first Masters in 2004 and he didn't realise that the putt on the 72nd was to win rather than get in a playoff- that was obviously 11 years ago. No real harm to the guy, if I'm that compos mentis in my 80s I'll be happy (and surprised) but agree he's probably gone on a few years too long.

If this had been on Sky, there would have been about a 99.4% chance Monty would have mentioned something along the lines of "oh, it's a Monday finish. Hard to prepare for a Monday finish. Of course, the 2010 Ryder Cup was a Monday finish, when I was captain".

I don't mind Ken Brown, which is bizarre as I usually can't stand people like him. Seems to generally know what he's talking about in spite of his pompous, James May-esque personality. Alliss has a great voice and way of filling silences, but he doesn't half talk some complete pish these days. My favourite this week was on Friday(?) while it showed everyone putting up their umbrellas, while he continued to waffle on about sunshine and gorgeous weather, completely oblivious to the pictures being shown.

BBC are now past the point of being a bit of a joke, and into 'complete waste of time' territory. No Open, no Wimbledon, rubbish football coverage. Just shut the whole thing down.

Archived