144th Open Championship

Davis Love III

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't mind Ken Brown, which is bizarre as I usually can't stand people like him. Seems to generally know what he's talking about in spite of his pompous, James May-esque personality. Alliss has a great voice and way of filling silences, but he doesn't half talk some complete pish these days. My favourite this week was on Friday(?) while it showed everyone putting up their umbrellas, while he continued to waffle on about sunshine and gorgeous weather, completely oblivious to the pictures being shown.

BBC are now past the point of being a bit of a joke, and into 'complete waste of time' territory. No Open, no Wimbledon, rubbish football coverage. Just shut the whole thing down.

The only things left on the Category A (have to be on free to air) list according to Wiki are

FIFA World Cup finals (all matches)

UEFA European Football Championship finals (all matches)

FA Cup Final

Scottish Cup Final (applies to Scotland only)

Grand National

Epsom Derby

Rugby league:

Challenge Cup final

Rugby union:

World Cup final

Wimbledon Championships men's and women's finals

Olympic Games (both summer and winter)

Paralympic Games (both summer and winter)

Is the whole Wimbledon tournament moving to Sky soon with shared coverage of the final?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only things left on the Category A (have to be on free to air) list according to Wiki are

FIFA World Cup finals (all matches)

UEFA European Football Championship finals (all matches)

FA Cup Final

Scottish Cup Final (applies to Scotland only)

Grand National

Epsom Derby

Rugby league:

Challenge Cup final

Rugby union:

World Cup final

Wimbledon Championships men's and women's finals

Olympic Games (both summer and winter)

Paralympic Games (both summer and winter)

Is the whole Wimbledon tournament moving to Sky soon with shared coverage of the final?

In other words, the World Cup and Euros (commentated on by some absolutely awful people), a couple of Cup finals, and some pointless sporting dross. Nice one, Beeb.

The contract is up at the end of next year (or soon after) for Wimbledon, and afaik it hasn't officially gone anywhere yet, but it's almost guaranteed that BBC will lose out on the bidding to retain it.

Had a cracking day up at the golf today. Great value for a tenner. Had a good wander round most of the holes, saw the leaders off then followed Sergio round until the 15th and then watched those behind come in. Roll on Troon next year.

Agree on the bottom part, his choices who he wants to thank and he seemed genuinely overcome by it all.

Wasn't questioning any wrong-doing more just interested in the ruling/what the actual rules are in that situation.

Apologies, should have realised that. Obvious on reading again that that was your angle.

Commentators seemed to suggest it was where the hole had previously been but have to admit i`m not sure of the rule.

Apologies, should have realised that. Obvious on reading again that that was your angle.

Commentators seemed to suggest it was where the hole had previously been but have to admit i`m not sure of the rule.

You can repair pitchmarks in your line and the like. But tapping down spike marks is a definite no-no.

You can repair pitchmarks in your line and the like. But tapping down spike marks is a definite no-no.

Yes. They seemed to suggest that the "blemish" was where an old hole had been cut. I wasn`t sure about that in terms

of repairing. Presumably the rules guy accompanying the match was also unsure or at least unwilling to make such a

high profile call as he got the head rules guy involved.

Brilliant Open Championship, with a deserved winner, although I'd have preferred Louis or Jason Day.

The Old Course was the real star for me. No wonder the R&A give it such prominence in the championship rota. Fantastic stuff!

Nothing against peoples beliefs but when Johnson, Cink or Bubba etc thank the big man upstairs for their victories it taints the victory a bit.The Cink one in particular. We almost had, arguably the greatest sporting achievement ever with Tom Watson almost winning at Turnberry, only for Cink to say God helped him win it.

Don't be such a bigot.

Alliss was referring to 2017 when Sky takes over the main television rights. His ridiculous comments probably reflect the views of his bosses. He's obviously had enough of them and no longer cares.

The BBC's Wimbledon rights end in 2017. Sky or BT Sport will probably get them.

I'm pretty sure Wimbledon has to be on terrestrial tv, it is one of the so-called crown jewels.

The singles finals are AFAIK, but not the whole tourney.

I don't think Wimbledon will be going to sky, the chief executive of the all England club all but confirmed that BBC would keep the rights past the end of the current contract.

I don't think Wimbledon will be going to sky, the chief executive of the all England club all but confirmed that BBC would keep the rights past the end of the current contract.

The BBC has a joint deal with Sky for Formula One coverage. There could be a similar deal for Wimbledon. The All England Club would be daft just to give it to the BBC. The BBC may be happy to share the costs with another broadcaster too.

I got a half day from work on the Monday and made it up in time to catch around half of the action. Stayed in the stand at the 18th and had a great day, I'll be there in 2020/2021 at some point. I'll go up to one of the stands at the loop and take some binoculars so I can watch more games next time.

I'm a bit gutted Louis lost in the playoff. The guy looks as if he's out for a stroll every round he plays, and shot beautifully throughout. I also don't understand the level of support for Sergio Garcia - he's entertaining, but a crybaby clown-cart. I like it when he gets into good positions and inevitably crumbles.

Re the BBC's coverage - I'll really miss Peter Alliss - his prattle was ridiculous, but his voice was absolutely amazing, I'd pay to hear him read a dictionary. Ken Brown's embarrassing uncle segments are great as well, would be a shame if those got lost. Looks like Sky for our household in the near future.

Sky coverage is going to make the BBC look like they are playing at it. I fully expect a channel to be a dedicated "Open Channel" you will not miss a shot plus much much more. Plus they can be much more flexible with delays and coping with unexpected i.e. Monday finish. As for the F1 coverage Sky have taken that to a totally different level.

Sky coverage is going to make the BBC look like they are playing at it. I fully expect a channel to be a dedicated "Open Channel" you will not miss a shot plus much much more. Plus they can be much more flexible with delays and coping with unexpected i.e. Monday finish. As for the F1 coverage Sky have taken that to a totally different level.

I imagine Sky Sports 5 will become Sky Sports Open, same way they did for the Darts.

Got to agree, and not just with the F1 coverage.

There are very few events shown on Sky that they don't market and produce to a level that the terrestrial broadcasters can't even imagine. However you feel about them as a company, it's difficult to argue with the quality of their product.

The Ryder cup coverage and marketing was outstanding, US Masters, US Open, actually everything they do is done to the max. Hats off.

It used to annoy me when Sky were buying the rights to everything but the sooner they get the World Cup the better, imagine that!!!

Archived