The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

That Barton minute-by-minute thing is surreal. Whoever it was who suggested it could be a weekly thing, an analysis of a different player and their impact each would be fine. It would actually be interesting and offer something bordering on tactical insight, provided whoever wrote it could actually offer any insight. Great idea. For what it actually is though, I'm beyond words.

And on the "There is now interest in our game again from England and the world," has anyone ever challenged the people, be they hacks, cockwombles, pundits, who say this and asked for proof and purpose? On why the primary focus of the people in charge of marketing Scottish football seems to be the perception of it by people who don't have any vested interest in it?

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, McKeown is a Catholic and a Celtic fan.

To my mind, media figures with a Celtic background are as bad if not worse than, those with a Rangers one.  Look at the ramblings of fools like Burley and Provan. 

Basically, they're OF apologists.  They think that the game is essentially about two clubs.  Which of them they prefer, is almost immaterial.

Burley and Provan...and Walker and McInally and Hartson and Sutton and Nicholas and Houghton and Brazil and that's just off the top of my head. Notice any trend?

All died in the wool green bigots with the Old Firm mindset that are paid to comment on Scottish football. It's noticeable that the only two that dare to consider other teams are Hartson and Sutton, the two not totally brainwashed from birth. Little wonder anyone outside Scotland believes only the bigot brothers count. Rangers International own the media inside Scotland, Celtic outwith.

What about if clubs were able to offer tax deals to pay players more money than they can a company can afford. Then when the tax man comes crying foul everybody Newcos and Tupes while sticking two fingers up to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.

Sounds good to me! Oh wait!...

According to Sportsound the BBC website will have a "5 things we learned from the weekend" every Monday. I wonder how many of the five won't involve the Old Firm.

The extra articles on the BBC website are probably part of their increased commitment to Scottish football or similar bollocks. Fair enough, except so far they're focussed on the two clubs that didn't need extra coverage. The Thompson one about Kranjcar is probably worse than the Joey Barton one - thoughts from a player who faced the guy for 20 minutes in one game more than eight years ago.

Edit: Here is the first five things we learned. One is Rangers. One is Celtic. One is Hamilton, who faced Rangers. One is Dundee (token diddy team). The other is about who might get in the Scotland squad with the great line "On Friday night I discovered that Fulham skipper Tom Cairney is Scottish". I thought most folk knew that - I did!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37007729

Edited by Stu

Burley and Provan...and Walker and McInally and Hartson and Sutton and Nicholas and Houghton and Brazil and that's just off the top of my head. Notice any trend?

All died in the wool green bigots with the Old Firm mindset that are paid to comment on Scottish football. It's noticeable that the only two that dare to consider other teams are Hartson and Sutton, the two not totally brainwashed from birth. Little wonder anyone outside Scotland believes only the bigot brothers count. Rangers International own the media inside Scotland, Celtic outwith.

The trend would be that most of them live out with Scotland for years and have more of an interest in English football surely? Little knowledge of Scottish football. Not that they are bigots. :lol:

Still doesn't mean they should be in the position to commentate on games, which in fairness only Sutton, Walker and maybe Provan will do now Sky have the OF. Sutton is absolutely excellent with his knowledge of the Scottish game IMO and he really makes an effort. Provan and Walker are just up themselves arseholes.

A lot of paranoia kicking about on this thread, people get carried away.. Some things rightly criticised (that Barton minute by minute thing fucking hell) but there's a load of greeting about the smallest of things in between.

According to Sportsound the BBC website will have a "5 things we learned from the weekend" every Monday. I wonder how many of the five won't involve the Old Firm.

The extra articles on the BBC website are probably part of their increased commitment to Scottish football or similar bollocks. Fair enough, except so far they're focussed on the two clubs that didn't need extra coverage. The Thompson one about Kranjcar is probably worse than the Joey Barton one - thoughts from a player who faced the guy for 20 minutes in one game more than eight years ago.

Edit: Here is the first five things we learned. One is Rangers. One is Celtic. One is Hamilton, who faced Rangers. One is Dundee (token diddy team). The other is about who might get in the Scotland squad with the great line "On Friday night I discovered that Fulham skipper Tom Cairney is Scottish". I thought most folk knew that - I did!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37007729

Moaning because one of the 5 things might be the OF (perfectly understandable seeing as Celtic are the champions and Rangers have just been promoted) and then saying they only picked Hamilton because they played Rangers (nothing to do with the fact they played very well in a tough away fixture when they were relegation candidates) and Dundee because they have to put in a 'diddy team' (nothing to do with the fact all that fuss over Hemmings was made last week, Stewart too, and they went and got a cracking result v County) you just can't win sometimes.

The media are on the whole arseholes when it comes to OF coverage compared to the rest but people just love to pick up on every little thing they can and have a whinge about it.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

I assume Steven Anderson was 1? Would be struggling with the others unless it was all our defence.

Mannus was ours, with Shinnie and Burns from Aberdeen. Bemusingly.

FWIW Mannus' hardest action was saving a back pass from Niall McGinn. Anyone who could watch that game and not realise Steven Anderson was by a distance our best player that day needs checking.

Sutton is definitely a 'yer da' type of character, but he does appear to know more about the game up here than the likes of Provan or Walker.  He's grown up away from the West Coast Scottish press and the 'cauldron' of the OF if you like, and he appears to be capable of both abstract thought and objectivity. 

18 hours ago, TheScarf said:

As have I.  Can I assume the ET assign a reporter to each club? His feed is all Rangers.

Even if they did it still doesn't allow him to be a' fan with a typewriter'

He's just a level5 mouthpiece ,he says whatever he's told to by them.

2 minutes ago, THE KING said:

Even if they did it still doesn't allow him to be a' fan with a typewriter'

He's just a level5 mouthpiece ,he says whatever he's told to by them.

No I agree.  I've read a few of his articles and they scream 'VL blogger still living at home'.