The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The Scottish media are so bad at objectively.  Waghorn's 'form' is just another in a long line of shite they come out with in regards to Celtic and Rangers players.

Barrie McKay, a guy who has played 6 games in the top flight, is apparently the country's best young player.  On what planet is that sound logic? I'm sure he looked like Ronaldo playing Championship sides the last 2 years.

Following in the foot steps of some giants of the game, like John Fleck and Jamie Ness.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I could put a pen up my arse then squat down and wiggle around above a piece of paper and write better stuff than the vast majority of the arsehole football journalists/reporters/columnists in Scotland.

:lol:

It's funny because it's true.

I could put a pen up my arse then squat down and wiggle around above a piece of paper and write better stuff than the vast majority of the arsehole football journalists/reporters/columnists in Scotland.

Pics or gtf...in fact never mind.

Jane Lewis - who is actually a BBC Scotland football correspondent - was reading the sports news at 10pm on Radio Scotland.

Informed us that Aberdeen had beaten St Johnstone with a 90 minute goal, and following the draw would now travel away to Morton in the League Cup Semi-Finals.

Seems a bit unreasonable to play it at Cappielow instead of a neutral venue, but there you go.

Aberdeen play Rangers Int at Pittodrie on Sunday so BBC WATP put in a prime position on their website a video of Rangers 5 Aberdeen 0 at Ibrox from 16 years ago. It's totally irrelevant to Sunday and can only be there as a GIRFUY to Aberdeen. What an utter disgrace.

35 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Aberdeen play Rangers Int at Pittodrie on Sunday so BBC WATP put in a prime position on their website a video of Rangers 5 Aberdeen 0 at Ibrox from 16 years ago. It's totally irrelevant to Sunday and can only be there as a GIRFUY to Aberdeen. What an utter disgrace.

It's not terrible surprising for me.

I'd say the percentage of employees in the whole of BBC Scotland who support either Rangers or Celtic is in the mid to high 90's.

Without wanting to defend the BBC here, but they've had a few videos up this week of previous games.  I watched the 2-0 Aberdeen game from 2008, and a 2-2 draw (2002/03ish) at Pittodrie.

44 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's not terrible surprising for me.

I'd say the percentage of employees in the whole of BBC Scotland who support either Rangers or Celtic is in the mid to high 90's.

I wouldn't be surprised at that. What does surprise me is the level of the ever increasing Rangers Int promotion. It's obviously always been bad but it's reached such levels that, as others have pointed out, it's as if they've given up any pretence of being anything other than an extension of Rangers Media and just gone for it. That they rightly feel they can get away with it is both worrying and unbelievable. 

1 minute ago, Desp said:

Without wanting to defend the BBC here, but they've had a few videos up this week of previous games.  I watched the 2-0 Aberdeen game from 2008, and a 2-2 draw (2002/03ish) at Pittodrie.

'at Pittodrie' being the operative words. 

Farid El Alagui's late goal gave Dunfermline Athletic victory over manager-less St Mirren.

The Buddies, who parted with boss Alex Rae last week, led through John Sutton but Nicky Clark levelled.

A second from Sutton put the visitors ahead again until Andy Webster's own goal restored parity.

Clark put the Pars in front only for Ryan Hardie to equalise but El Alagui struck from long range to settle the match.

From the BBC, he scored from six yards out! It was on BBC Alba ffs

They've been showing archived games all week. Overblown, I grant you, but not disgraceful.

I appreciate that they weren't exactly on the straight and level, but that was one hell of a good Rangers team.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

They've been showing archived games all week. Overblown, I grant you, but not disgraceful.

I appreciate that they weren't exactly on the straight and level, but that was one hell of a good Rangers team.

But that's the point,oldco cheated to amass that team so anything they won should be scrubbed from the record books.

The entire match report for our game v QoS as penned by Chick Young is an utter abortion stylistically.  I'm not sure if the BBC actually told him to 'write casual' or if he really can't produce prose beyond the level of Intermediate One English but a professional journo ought to be producing better stuff than this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37394312.

"The lack of goalmouth thrills belied the fact that the league leadership was at stake and only John McGinn of the key players on show threatened to light up an afternoon on which the rain continued to whip down pitch, powered by a wind in favour of the home team."

That sentence is fucking horrific in general but it isn't uniquely awful, partnered as it is by other inelegant phrasing as:

"It was no 45 minutes to file under "classic"."

or

"Palmerston, a ground caught in a time-warp but nevertheless a precious memory of different days of Scottish football, was packed with 1,500 Hibs fans squeezing into a crowd of 3,703."

or

"But that, out-with a minor scare for both goalies, was more or less that."

Pretty sure outwith is the way you spell that.  Sort of thing you'd think a guy who earned his keep at least partially through writing in the Scottish press would be wise to.

Fucking moron.

It isn't really an important issue but the whole tone of the piece is condescending and dismissive, as if "Chico" was being forced to attend the game as some sort of punishment. More pertinently seeing as he's supposedly retired the BBC are purposefully paying for a match report so poor he may well have written it in crayon.