The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

IMG_1483615038.477098.jpg

Another thing has been the consistent over-rating of our championship since the 14/15 season.

Not sure how you can say that after Hearts came up and finished 3rd, 6 points off you after one of your best seasons and Rangers have came up and are currently in 2nd...

When Hibs come up they'll be up around there too.

Not sure how you can say that after Hearts came up and finished 3rd, 6 points off you after one of your best seasons and Rangers have came up and are currently in 2nd...

Based on what? On paper they have one of the best midfields in Scotland but Hibs haven't been near that region since Tony Mowbray was in charge.

Well true, the clubs have done well, but they're big clubs who strengthened since promotion.
The players who stood out (eg Ozturk, Gomis, Pallardo for Hearts, McKay, Tavernier and Waghorn for Rangers) by and large haven't been brilliant and have been replaced. The media have expressed surprise that they haven't been so good when the answer is quite obvious: they were playing a division below.
No one was surprised when Ross County got promoted and previous season's top scorer Colin McMenamin was rubbish in the top flight.

2 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Isn't that the creep who made up a fake account on another forum, possibly an ICT forum?

He's an absolute cretin anyway.

Yup. A total zoomer with a tendency to check out other mens cocks when they're urinating.

Well true, the clubs have done well, but they're big clubs who strengthened since promotion.
The players who stood out (eg Ozturk, Gomis, Pallardo for Hearts, McKay, Tavernier and Waghorn for Rangers) by and large haven't been brilliant and have been replaced. The media have expressed surprise that they haven't been so good when the answer is quite obvious: they were playing a division below.
No one was surprised when Ross County got promoted and previous season's top scorer Colin McMenamin was rubbish in the top flight.

In the first season up all of them played a part for hearts week in week out. McKay and Tavernier have started most games for Rangers and Waghorn has played alot too when he's not been injured.

In the first season up all of them played a part for hearts week in week out. McKay and Tavernier have started most games for Rangers and Waghorn has played alot too when he's not been injured.

Gomis loaned out, Ozturk stripped of captaincy and dumped this transfer window, Pallardo brilliant in the Championship, utterly dreadful in the top flight.
Tavernier has been shunted up from defence to midfield, and contributed f**k all in terms of goals. McKay has contributed so much less than last year.
Waghorn has three goals in the league, all against Hamilton.
Commentators constantly say "we know what he can do in this area" referring to McKay and Waghorn, they've been sub standard all season and it's a surprise that they can't recreate their Championship form in a better league. Despite the big teams that have been visiting the last few years, they've still been poor versions of these teams.

I can understand why there would be resentment about the attention given to The Championship in recent seasons, especially from Aberdeen supporters since they don't have much time for two of the bigger clubs to have been down there. However, The Championship really has been where the action has been over the last few years. The Hearts - Hibs - Rangers second-tier episode was one of the most fascinating developments in recent Scottish footballing history and will be recalled for many years to come. Add in Rangers' and Hibs' play-off failures, the addition of Dundee United just when things were threatening to get dull and St Mirren's implosion. The top flight has really had nothing on that.

The relative success of Hearts and Rangers in the top flight shows that the Championship has been of a good standard and also the progress in cup competitions over the last few years of Championship sides. Last season 3 of the 4 places in major cup finals in Scotland were taken by Championship sides. The previous season also had a Championship side in the Scottish Cup final and an all-Championship semi final.

The last few years has been the strongest second-tier I can think of in my time watching football and I'm in my thirties. As mentioned above by another poster, I'd expect Hibs to do well next season if they come up.

I can understand why there would be resentment about the attention given to The Championship in recent seasons, especially from Aberdeen supporters since they don't have much time for two of the bigger clubs to have been down there. However, The Championship really has been where the action has been over the last few years. The Hearts - Hibs - Rangers second-tier episode was one of the most fascinating developments in recent Scottish footballing history and will be recalled for many years to come. Add in Rangers' and Hibs' play-off failures, the addition of Dundee United just when things were threatening to get dull and St Mirren's implosion. The top flight has really had nothing on that.
The relative success of Hearts and Rangers in the top flight shows that the Championship has been of a good standard and also the progress in cup competitions over the last few years of Championship sides. Last season 3 of the 4 places in major cup finals in Scotland were taken by Championship sides. The previous season also had a Championship side in the Scottish Cup final and an all-Championship semi final.
The last few years has been the strongest second-tier I can think of in my time watching football and I'm in my thirties. As mentioned above by another poster, I'd expect Hibs to do well next season if they come up.

Hey don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed watching it! Entertaining football doesn't necessarily need the highest quality players. That's why I watch considerably more Scottish football than Champions League/EPL etc. The play offs are fantastic and for the last few seasons the drama has been in the Championship and bottom end of the Premiership. I feel that this has perhaps played its part in overhyping the level of certain players.
Jason Cummings is one example. He's been excellent, but is totally unproven at any sort of high level. There was talk of him going for up to 1million, which is crazy! Compare with previous Championship top scorers: Rory Loy, Colin McMenamin, Bryan Prunty, Richard Offiong... Two that stand out are Adam Rooney and Stevie May, but both these had to replicate their success in the top flight to earn their plaudits and transfers.
I'm not saying the Championship is garbage, I'm saying the merits of players who have been successful in that league have been overplayed simply because they played for bigger clubs.

9 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Hey don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed watching it! Entertaining football doesn't necessarily need the highest quality players. That's why I watch considerably more Scottish football than Champions League/EPL etc. The play offs are fantastic and for the last few seasons the drama has been in the Championship and bottom end of the Premiership. I feel that this has perhaps played its part in overhyping the level of certain players.
Jason Cummings is one example. He's been excellent, but is totally unproven at any sort of high level. There was talk of him going for up to 1million, which is crazy! Compare with previous Championship top scorers: Rory Loy, Colin McMenamin, Bryan Prunty, Richard Offiong... Two that stand out are Adam Rooney and Stevie May, but both these had to replicate their success in the top flight to earn their plaudits and transfers.
I'm not saying the Championship is garbage, I'm saying the merits of players who have been successful in that league have been overplayed simply because they played for bigger clubs.

There is an element of that, and I agree with what you say about Cummings. But I think it's fair to say the second tier has been stronger in the last three seasons or so than at any time in recent memory. That, added to the presence of bigger clubs, play-offs, cup success etc explains the profile it has enjoyed. And I think it's deserved. It's a good division and has been for a few years.

There might be some big names in the Championship this season but the overall quality of the league isn't great. The Dunfermline team that won the Division under Jim McIntyre were streets ahead of most of the teams that are in the league this season, you could argue the case for that seasons Falkirk and Raith being better than most of the teams in it now too. Hibs have a huge squad but have only got going in fits and starts and Dundee United have been poor whenever I've seen them, relying on strength and a wee bit of quality from Flood. Falkirk look a shadow of their selves and Morton aren't a brilliant footballing side but ate third and deservedly so. If and when Hibs go up they'll need serious investment to do well next season IMO - they aren't as good as Hearts or Rangers were in the Championship in previous seasons that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

There might be some big names in the Championship this season but the overall quality of the league isn't great. The Dunfermline team that won the Division under Jim McIntyre were streets ahead of most of the teams that are in the league this season, you could argue the case for that seasons Falkirk and Raith being better than most of the teams in it now too. Hibs have a huge squad but have only got going in fits and starts and Dundee United have been poor whenever I've seen them, relying on strength and a wee bit of quality from Flood. Falkirk look a shadow of their selves and Morton aren't a brilliant footballing side but ate third and deservedly so. If and when Hibs go up they'll need serious investment to do well next season IMO - they aren't as good as Hearts or Rangers were in the Championship in previous seasons that's for sure.

I've watched a few Dundee United games now and haven't been impressed one bit by them. 

One of those games was the Hibs game at Tannadice and both teams were woeful.

Not seen as much of Hibs but suspected what you said in that they have spells of good play/games then follow it up with a couple of weeks of dirge. 

The Championship (and First Division) has almost always been a strong league. You do get some seasons where a team strolls it, but usually you have a few strong teams.

Anyway, the best one was clearly season 95/96 where an unfancied team gloriously won the league in a division that contained Dundee United, Dundee, St Johnstone, Morton, St Mirren, Airdrie (who were decent then), Hamilton, Clydebank and Dumbarton.

I agree that they're maybe being overplayed and the Cummings example is a good one however I think the premiership on the whole is pretty average and Hibs are a better side than a lot of teams currently in it. This will show next season when they do exactly what Hearts and Rangers have done after coming up.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I agree that they're maybe being overplayed and the Cummings example is a good one however I think the premiership on the whole is pretty average and Hibs are a better side than a lot of teams currently in it. This will show next season when they do exactly what Hearts and Rangers have done after coming up.

Did Hearts not significantly change their squad from the championship winning side?

Gomis loaned out, Ozturk stripped of captaincy and dumped this transfer window, Pallardo brilliant in the Championship, utterly dreadful in the top flight.
Tavernier has been shunted up from defence to midfield, and contributed f**k all in terms of goals. McKay has contributed so much less than last year.
Waghorn has three goals in the league, all against Hamilton.
Commentators constantly say "we know what he can do in this area" referring to McKay and Waghorn, they've been sub standard all season and it's a surprise that they can't recreate their Championship form in a better league. Despite the big teams that have been visiting the last few years, they've still been poor versions of these teams.

Gomis played 20 games for hearts the season after they came up. Ozturk stripped of captaincy now but played in 1st season back, Pallardo wasn't utterly dreadful. Waghorn been injured most of the season, McKay just raped the best RB in the league a week ago, Tavernier played the majority of games.

I like the other poster understand why Aberdeen fans are finding it difficult to admit this but the hearts and Rangers teams that were in the Championship were decent teams and they've both shown it when they've came up. The new signings at Rangers haven't had much impact at all this season and it's still the keeper, Kiernan, Wilson, Wallace, Holt, Halliday, McKay, Miller etc playing every single week. Currently sitting second.

Hearts team didn't change much either after promotion.