The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

A total of 4,445,149 supporters went to 788 matches including play-offs, which marks a rise of 4,247,467 from the previous year.

SPFL reveal crowds increased by 5 per cent in season 2017/18

Good news as league chiefs attempt to secure a new TV deal.

In the Ladbrokes Premiership, total attendances rose by almost half a million, with 3,631,982 passing through the turnstiles at 228 regular season matches, up more than 14 per cent on the previous season’s aggregate of 3,184,955.

Scottish football crowds went up by five per cent in the season just past, the league has revealed.

Ten of the 12 Ladbrokes Premiership clubs each notched up a year-on-year increase.

Only Dundee and St Johnstone experienced decreases. Motherwell were the pick of the bunch regarding increases, with crowds up by 28 per cent.

The news comes as a boost as the Scottish Professional Football League attempt to secure a new and improved TV deal, which runs out in 2020.

The SPFL also announced nearly four and a half million people attended games across the four divisions.

A total of 4,445,149 supporters went to 788 matches including play-offs, which marks a rise of 4,247,467 from the previous year.

With figures like those we should ignore BT and Sky and chase Netflix, Amazon etc

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-reveal-crowds-increased-5-12572205

Some peak Chris 'Onion' Jack jingoism around the seating allocations for Old Firm games at Ibronx. 

The loyalty, the backing – both financial and emotional – from supporters should never be taken for granted by those that run our sport or our clubs.

At Ibrox, it certainly can’t be questioned as the Light Blue legions, through all the ups and downs, have rallied round in recent years.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16252988.Chris_Jack__Rangers_board_right_to_look_after_their_own_in_Old_Firm_ticket_debate/?ref=mr&lp=7

Untitled.jpg.2f751e6853f53b29507262a8363a88a3.jpg

Our national broadcaster's commitment to promoting Scottish football shines through yesterday as the Under 21s were playing in the Toulon tournament in the afternoon.

I think I've mentioned this before but this just reeks of BBC Old Firm bias.  Top two teams meet in the SWPL, a small article containing just 4 paragraphs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44102335

Two midtable teams meet in the SWPL and we getting a sprawling 21 paragraph article just because the two teams happen to be called Rangers and Celtic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44349797

9 hours ago, Eednud said:

BBC today, at least it is a team beginning with S.

lg cup.JPG

Scotland U21s v England U21s in the semi-final of the Toulon tournament tomorrow obviously isn't worth mentioning.  At least they're consistent in ignoring it.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Compare the “story” to the actual quotes.

report: will seek talks with Rangers

basis: “i’ll Speak to all the teams”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44383920

The beeb is officially tabloid.

They're definitely heading that way - but they'll only truly reach tabloid nirvana when they are cranking out 8 pieces a day that have the same picture of Gerard and follow the headline formula

"<Ex-Rangers Talking Head> says <something fucking obvious about Steven Gerard>"

"Dado Prso says Steven Gerard must sign some players"

"Erik Bo Andersson says Steven Gerard needs to challenge Celtic"

"Derek Johnstone says Steven Gerard must mime along to the sash at supporters club do's"

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Hasn't that been the case for a long time? I'm not sure why a publicly funded organisation feels the need to be such a clickbait whore, but there we have it.

Guest JTS98
41 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This level of output is  consistent with Kenny McIntyre's dramatic shouty voice on Sportsound.

KM: Motherwell lost 1-0 at the weekend, (begin dramatic shouty voice here) Michael Stewart, WILL they be relegated, SHOULD the manager be shot, and CAN Motherwell be allowed to continue to exist as a town?

MS: (As ever, sounding quite baffled by his cartoonish colleague) Well, Kenny. I'm fairly sure Motherwell will continue to exist as a to...

KM: But SHOULD it, Michael? SHOULD it?

MS: Well, I don't see why not. It's home to tens of thousa...

KM: That's all well and good, Michael. But DOES the continued existence of the town not mean that EVERY ONE of those residents is complicit in the SHOCKING performance of THEIR football team last weekend? Surely, it MUST be wiped FROM. THE. MAP?

MS: (sigh)

58 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The one thing that separates them from every other media outlet is something that normally hampers them, and that's their reluctance to publish stories which have neither been officially announced or corroborated across the board. This means shit rags like the Record or Sun will run with their "exclusives" which are nothing more than paper thin cynical attempts to clickbait the populace, while the BBC will sit on their hands. Many times this means them being beaten to the punch, but it also (possibly inadvertently) shields it from some of the more ridiculous news traps.

Not that I am a complete defender of the BBC, but purely down to it's own internal processes it's not really a tabloid. I can see how the premise can at least be partly justified though.

45 minutes ago, Swello said:

They're definitely heading that way - but they'll only truly reach tabloid nirvana when they are cranking out 8 pieces a day that have the same picture of Gerard and follow the headline formula

"<Ex-Rangers Talking Head> says <something fucking obvious about Steven Gerard>"

"Dado Prso says Steven Gerard must sign some players"

"Erik Bo Andersson says Steven Gerard needs to challenge Celtic"

"Derek Johnstone says Steven Gerard must mime along to the sash at supporters club do's"

They may use slightly different pics on the website but we're there already.

13 hours ago, JTS98 said:

This level of output is  consistent with Kenny McIntyre's dramatic shouty voice on Sportsound.

KM: Motherwell lost 1-0 at the weekend, (begin dramatic shouty voice here) Michael Stewart, WILL they be relegated, SHOULD the manager be shot, and CAN Motherwell be allowed to continue to exist as a town?

MS: (As ever, sounding quite baffled by his cartoonish colleague) Well, Kenny. I'm fairly sure Motherwell will continue to exist as a to...

KM: But SHOULD it, Michael? SHOULD it?

MS: Well, I don't see why not. It's home to tens of thousa...

KM: That's all well and good, Michael. But DOES the continued existence of the town not mean that EVERY ONE of those residents is complicit in the SHOCKING performance of THEIR football team last weekend? Surely, it MUST be wiped FROM. THE. MAP?

MS: (sigh)

:lol: That was very good.

The tabloid idea is also entirely consistent with the sport inserts on Radio Scotland news.  The standard format is to deliver some banal quote as a bombastic statement; before adding "that's according to" somebody who once played but has never had a thought in his life.  

It's the very definition of tabloid broadcasting.  I've said it before, but I don't just think that this has been a gradual drift; I think a very conscious decision was made over a year ago to behave this way.  It pisses me off, because the BBC should be above it.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've said it before, but I don't just think that this has been a gradual drift; I think a very conscious decision was made over a year ago to behave this way.  It pisses me off, because the BBC should be above it.

Well, I think it's been happening for much longer than a year, and  I strongly suspect its driven by Upper Management who are far removed from reality.   Someone has decreed that a KPI for their web services is the number of clicks generated  per day, and to keep their jobs the journalists have to meet these targets.  I suspect that some very good journalists are dying a little every day as they have to put up such clickbait crap to satisfy poorly thought out performance criteria and keep their jobs