The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Do you pay for them?

No. 

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

people are leaving the physical print medium behind

I don't doubt that for a second. I'm strictly in the 'people left behind' category when it comes to things like this. 

However, I'm not actually interested in 'the news' enough to go clicking on the respective websites. If the papers, weren't in the Mess, I doubt I'd miss them. 

22 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

So, out of interest, does anyone still buy a paper? And if so what one?

I'd imagine most of us have moved over to reading their respective websites, which is better as it means far less money for the complete lies and conjecture that get spread.

The Metro I'm guessing is probably the most read purely for it's price and distribution, however you should be careful about the Metro. It's a trojan horse in that it's just the Daily Mail in a different guise, and we know how loathsome, petty and downright hateful the Daily Mail is.

And it also means far less funding for the sort of excellent journalism that's needed (especially at the moment) more than ever.

Poorer sales = more clickbait drivel.

4 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

And it also means far less funding for the sort of excellent journalism that's needed (especially at the moment) more than ever.

Poorer sales = more clickbait drivel.

You are using way too broad a brush. While there are numerous great journalists out there, delivering their content over many platforms, the journalism we are discussing here is a victim of it's own shittiness. The propensity to do a lazy and cack-handed job was a precursor to clickbait. They have embraced it now, sure, but the standards had started to drop before the Internet became a mainstream source.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

You are using way too broad a brush. While there are numerous great journalists out there, delivering their content over many platforms, the journalism we are discussing here is a victim of it's own shittiness. The propensity to do a lazy and cack-handed job was a precursor to clickbait. They have embraced it now, sure, but the standards had started to drop before the Internet became a mainstream source.

I can't really comment on things going that far back, but I don't disagree about the laziness associated with Scottish football journalism. Unfortunately until someone starts up something that is a bit different and makes a success out of it we're stuck where we are.

Now more than ever the big media companies know what stories people read. Before you could buy a paper, think that a certain writer was garbage but read the rest of the stuff and nobody would be any wiser. Nowadays the papers know exactly what's clicked on, and how long people spend reading it. Unfortunately that's lead things being dummed down: 'FORMER RANGERS STAR SHOCKS TWITTER WITH SURPRISE TWEET'

And the real story will be something like Ross Perry tweeting that he thinks Celtic deserved to win a game or something equally as trivial.

I reckon if you were to put out a really well-written big interview with (and I'm picking someone out of thin air here) Lee Miller - almost like a written Pele Podcast and advertise it as 'Former Aberdeen and Carlisle striker Lee Miller opens up about his career as he returns to the Premiership', versus a headline like my Ross Perry one above the Perry one would get loads more hits. Ultimately the media is a business, and those hits mean more money.

As frustrating as it is, folk like the majority of regular P&Bers who are prepared to read more in-depth stuff about smaller names are in the minority in this country. The average guy walking down the street is more likely to be interested in 'FORMER CELTIC STAR HAILS (or Hail Hails I suppose) RODGERS' OR 'BOMBER: GERRARD WILL GET 55'.

The problem is that the lazy amongst the profession seem to have confused people's opinion with news. Just because a random of Castlemilk says something, it doesn't make it the basis of a story, nor is it source that the story being pushed is relevant.

23 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

So, out of interest, does anyone still buy a paper? And if so what one?

I'd imagine most of us have moved over to reading their respective websites, which is better as it means far less money for the complete lies and conjecture that get spread.

The Metro I'm guessing is probably the most read purely for it's price and distribution, however you should be careful about the Metro. It's a trojan horse in that it's just the Daily Mail in a different guise, and we know how loathsome, petty and downright hateful the Daily Mail is.

Newspaper websites are all shite. They take ages to download and are full of bugs.

If they ever work, the content is mindless.

Used to regularly buy a paper, especially on a Sunday for a couple of hours in the pub watching football and reading a decent broadsheet review of the week, some in depth columns  and articles, this was placed against feeling required to buy the Sun on a Monday, Thursday and Saturday as it was the only paper that offered decent Junior football coverage.

Nowadays I might buy a paper if taking a longer train journey, or at an airport where the free copies are available through the gates if on a flight and that about it.

The Daily Mail could not pay me to take The Daily Mail, and the Mail Online is worse.

St Johnstone promote coach who's been at the club for a decade to the assistant manager role. 

MENTION RANGERS SOMEHOW. 

DgsVrNgX4AAiw_S.thumb.jpeg.b7677df675b040bf97d49e07201b1438.jpeg

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Johnstone promote coach who's been at the club for a decade to the assistant manager role. 

MENTION RANGERS SOMEHOW. 

The worst bit of it all is referring to him as a "star".

He still thinks Del Piero is a figment of his own imagination.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Newspaper websites are all shite. They take ages to download and are full of bugs.

If they ever work, the content is mindless.

Sure, but it was more the comparison between physical and virtual media.

4 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Used to regularly buy a paper, especially on a Sunday for a couple of hours in the pub watching football and reading a decent broadsheet review of the week, some in depth columns  and articles, this was placed against feeling required to buy the Sun on a Monday, Thursday and Saturday as it was the only paper that offered decent Junior football coverage.

Nowadays I might buy a paper if taking a longer train journey, or at an airport where the free copies are available through the gates if on a flight and that about it.

The Daily Mail could not pay me to take The Daily Mail, and the Mail Online is worse.

Totally get that. When I am in a location that I have no internet connection or it's iffy then I tend to buy the I (as in the tabloid Independent) which these days is pretty much just a distillation of their online content.

The Metro is one to watch in regard to the DM. The Metro is free and has a brilliant distribution network, however they write none of their own pieces and instead aggregate others' content. One of those aggregators is the DM, and it's notable that many DM *autistic_screeching* clickbait right wing bullshit project fear bullshit is transferred verbatim.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

MENTION RANGERS SOMEHOW. 

You'll forgive me for not knowing, and I mean this as no slight on Cleland but how big a part did he play in the 9 in a row?

That said, you are totally correct, it's a shameless attempt to fit in an OF connection.

Edited by Buddist Monk

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

MENTION RANGERS SOMEHOW. 

There's yer SEO right there. Except that Scottish sports desks have been  doing that since before the web was invented. The rule is that anyone with a connection to the OF, no matter how tenuous MUST be described as a "star"* and an OF angle must be found in any article, no matter how many degrees of separation are required to get there.

*If they played more than 25 games, it's "Legend" and if they slagged the club when they left, it's "reject".

2 hours ago, Swello said:

There's yer SEO right there. Except that Scottish sports desks have been  doing that since before the web was invented. The rule is that anyone with a connection to the OF, no matter how tenuous MUST be described as a "star"* and an OF angle must be found in any article, no matter how many degrees of separation are required to get there.

*If they played more than 25 games, it's "Legend" and if they slagged the club when they left, it's "reject".

From a purely SEO point of view, Former Rangers would have been a better start to that headline.

BBC really padding out the Scottish Gossip page today...

Rangers are poised to tie up loan moves for 22-year-old Mali international midfielder Lassana Coulibaly from French top-flight club Angers and 21-year-old Roma striker Umar Sadiq. (Scottish Daily Mail)

Rangers have agreed a deal to sign Umar Sadiq on a season-long loan from Roma and are also close to landing Lassana Coulibaly on a similar deal from Angers. (Scottish Daily Express, print edition)

Umar Sadiq, the Nigerian striker who was farmed out to Breda last season, has agreed a loan move to Rangers from Roma and it should be completed next week. (Daily Record)

Rangers are considering a loan deal for Mali midfielder Lassana Coulibaly, the 22-year-old playmaker presently with Angers in the French Ligue 1. (Scottish Sun)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44653603

On 27/06/2018 at 12:21, Buddist Monk said:

Sure, but it was more the comparison between physical and virtual media.

Totally get that. When I am in a location that I have no internet connection or it's iffy then I tend to buy the I (as in the tabloid Independent) which these days is pretty much just a distillation of their online content.

The Metro is one to watch in regard to the DM. The Metro is free and has a brilliant distribution network, however they write none of their own pieces and instead aggregate others' content. One of those aggregators is the DM, and it's notable that many DM *autistic_screeching* clickbait right wing bullshit project fear bullshit is transferred verbatim.

You'll forgive me for not knowing, and I mean this as no slight on Cleland but how big a part did he play in the 9 in a row?

That said, you are totally correct, it's a shameless attempt to fit in an OF connection.

Clellands biggest claim to fame was his lack of knee cartilage. 

If anything's worse than England's media coverage of the world cup, it's snivelling, joyless Scottish journos trying to convince everyone to support England.

If you are Scottish, and you're supporting England, go watch the rugby.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/06/25/taken-50-years-scot-finally-learned-love-english-football-team/

The opinion of my fellow countrymen so wonderfully articulated by P.G. Wodehouse – that “it is never difficult to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine” – is never so true as during a World Cup tournament.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16311851.neil-cameron-the-anyone-but-england-mob-are-pathetic-but-our-neighbours-wont-win-the-world-cup/

Please, spare me this ‘Anyone but England’ nonsense.

Edited by HaikuHibee