The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

7 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Aye, I know, who cares what Graeme Souness thinks about anything? But it's just another example of a Daily Record online headline that seems to have been run through an Enigma machine before being printed. Can anyone unpack it?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/graeme-souness-spots-rising-celtic-31698577

It's not even good SEO. A bizarre form of "clickbait" where you have to read the story as the headline is incomprehensible?

On 21/12/2023 at 10:10, KirkieRR said:

Aye, I know, who cares what Graeme Souness thinks about anything? But it's just another example of a Daily Record online headline that seems to have been run through an Enigma machine before being printed. Can anyone unpack it?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/graeme-souness-spots-rising-celtic-31698577

DR;DR

😉

11 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

This is taken from the BBC's match report on the Rangers v Killie game...

Screenshot_20240102_221433_BBCNews.thumb.jpg.1a4d4151bd58c134d6b0199f9c8103d7.jpg

Err, what's that yer saying?

I think he's saying that he came on for Dessers, and Tavernier and then was subbed on for Tavernier again. 

11 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

This is taken from the BBC's match report on the Rangers v Killie game...

Screenshot_20240102_221433_BBCNews.thumb.jpg.1a4d4151bd58c134d6b0199f9c8103d7.jpg

Err, what's that yer saying?

That reeks of 'I know I'm meant to be working but f**k it I will have a few pints before hand and no c**t will notice'

Not sure if this is bad journalism, lazy journalism or an oversight, but the "what does your team need" article on the BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67876115

It covers every team except Livingston and St Mirren. If you are doing an article based on the league, perhaps include all those teams?

The article states: "This is a sample of the views from those who responded to our call for opinions on their club's transfer wish list."

Are you telling me not a single Livi or St Mirren fan replied? I'd find that kind of odd. Even if that was the case, doesn't the BBC realise that it should have gone off and grabbed a couple of comments just to provide the thin veneer of equal treatment.

20 hours ago, Ric said:

Not sure if this is bad journalism, lazy journalism or an oversight, but the "what does your team need" article on the BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67876115

It covers every team except Livingston and St Mirren. If you are doing an article based on the league, perhaps include all those teams?

The article states: "This is a sample of the views from those who responded to our call for opinions on their club's transfer wish list."

Are you telling me not a single Livi or St Mirren fan replied? I'd find that kind of odd. Even if that was the case, doesn't the BBC realise that it should have gone off and grabbed a couple of comments just to provide the thin veneer of equal treatment.

Im actually impressed they bothered to give the views of more than two clubs to be honest.

Makes a change.

11 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Im actually impressed they bothered to give the views of more than two clubs to be honest.

Makes a change.

I think if the BBC were to do a proper one of these it would include all 4 divisions as well, the Premiership isn't a bubble in terms of transfers.

No, the article is what it is, a lazy and cheap vox populi. A common tool of the BBC, because it means they don't need to do any work.

19 minutes ago, Craigie Jambo said:

A nice example of my biggest journalistic hate, the fact you cant seem to read any form or article/story anywhere without having to hand over an email address.

I dont particularly care about the "privacy" aspect, its just an absolute pain in the arse. 

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A nice example of my biggest journalistic hate, the fact you cant seem to read any form or article/story anywhere without having to hand over an email address.

I dont particularly care about the "privacy" aspect, its just an absolute pain in the arse. 

uBlock Origin mate, use Element Zapper and Element picker, sorted

-

Edited by Craigie Jambo

1 hour ago, Craigie Jambo said:

That's genuinely horrendous.

*Massive photo of Shankland scoring v Livi*
2. 12. Livingston
Points = 12, GF = 12, GA = 31, GD = -19

*Massive photo of Shankland playing v St Johnstone*
3. 11. St Johnstone
Points = 20, GF = 13, GA = 25, GD = -12

I was half expecting a mock up of a table, but even that was obviously too much actual work. Writing it out in list format like that is a complete mess, especially with it being broken up by unnecessarily large photos.

Would have made a lot more sense if they'd shown a table along with a wee paragraph or two with a bit of analysis or even just a quick bit about who's 'benefited' most by his goals not counting (even though we're still ignoring the fact that they wouldn't have just been playing with 10 players)

It's actually wound me up much more than anything should.

Edit: I've also just noticed that they haven't actually given points to the other teams, Livi would be on 13 and St Johnstone on 21 from the above ones. I need to have a lie down.

Edited by LiviLion

9 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

That's genuinely horrendous.

I was half expecting a mock up of a table, but even that was obviously too much actual work. Writing it out in list format like that is a complete mess, especially with it being broken up by unnecessarily large photos.

Would have made a lot more sense if they'd shown a table along with a wee paragraph or two with a bit of analysis or even just a quick bit about who's 'benefited' most by his goals not counting (even though we're still ignoring the fact that they wouldn't have just been playing with 10 players)

It's actually wound me up much more than anything should.

It's a scum rag that will eventually be wound up; now breathe out 🤣

I wasn’t sure if it should go in here or in the “tin-pot” thread, but the BBC shoe-horning 1966 references in the articles about Franz Beckenbauer is a massive riddy.

10 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I wasn’t sure if it should go in here or in the “tin-pot” thread, but the BBC shoe-horning 1966 references in the articles about Franz Beckenbauer is a massive riddy.

Caught this on Radio 2 news at 6pm, they actually managed to make it sound like winning the WC as both a player and manager was a lesser achievement than losing to England in the '66 final. c***s just canny help themselves.

The boredom has got me and I've started listening to the BBC Scotland report card podcasts. Only the Celtic one so far, going to do them in order.

The Celtic one consisted of Paul Lambert's expert insight telling us repeatedly that when you play for Celtic "you huv tae win!!!!" and the podcaster guest informing us that if they win the double "I think it's a successful season".

f**k me. Glad I didn't miss this stuff.

This is less "terrible journalism" more that it feeds into the idea the BBC just doesn't care enough to get things right.

XqJYT6L.png

I checked the club page, only to find that "Queen South" presumably good enough because, hell they are lower league who cares right?

Just an oversight, right? QotS is in league one, that'll be why. Well... switch to a team in the championship and this is what it looks like..

NL6Y4a9.png

..suddenly not just one, but multiple missing club crests, but there is more, Dundee United is one of a few clubs in the championship that get that "upcoming games" strip. Clubs listed in that strip, say Morton, don't get that sort of luxury treatment, not only robbed of their crest, they are missing the same sort of functionality a team in the very same division has been offered. It's not that the bar exists or not, or that the badge exists or not, it's that the BBC seems to think any of those states is fine.

This might seem overly geeky and pointless. Who cares, and to be fair not many people do, but this topic intersects two different things I find annoying, inconsistent/bad web design and the laziness of the "national broadcaster" when it comes to representing our national sport.

41 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The boredom has got me and I've started listening to the BBC Scotland report card podcasts. Only the Celtic one so far, going to do them in order.

The Celtic one consisted of Paul Lambert's expert insight telling us repeatedly that when you play for Celtic "you huv tae win!!!!" and the podcaster guest informing us that if they win the double "I think it's a successful season".

f**k me. Glad I didn't miss this stuff.

The key to being an old firm pundit is just to feed the ego of the morons who are adamant they support a huge institution of key cultural importance. 

So what do Celtic need in January?

”win games”

but what kind of player?

”someone that can handle NEEDING to win every week. This is a massive club”

what position?

”listen, when you pull on those hoops it doesn’t matter what position you play, you’re expected to win”

Aye but…

”look, until you’ve stepped out in front of that crowd you have no idea!”

Ok let’s wrap this up.