The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Do they actually though? I’m not sure they do. 

I think most know fine well that their coverage is skewed massively towards what will bring them social media reaction. 

Some will just be so ingrained in Glasgow/OF football culture that they won’t see the problem, I concede. 

That's it. It's essentially Search Engine Optimisation to try and drive more traffic to their website/social media channels.

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Do they actually though? I’m not sure they do. 

I think most know fine well that their coverage is skewed massively towards what will bring them social media reaction. 

Some will just be so ingrained in Glasgow/OF football culture that they won’t see the problem, I concede. 

Yeah, you're probably right for stuff that relies on clicks. The BBC should be above that though.

I think both things are at play.  We also see it with material that isn't on-line.  I do think that the fear of upsetting either 'side'  means they try to be even handed with them, missing the irony of how unbalanced it is to neglect the massive remainder of the game.

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Fucking hell.

Kheredine Idessane should be thanking Andy Murray for existing, given the fact the BBC have spent fortunes sending him round the world as their Andy Murray correspondent for the last 20 years

Aye mental.

BBC Scotland actually cut a lot of their Sports News output outwith football in order to focus on Murray - so talk about biting the hand which feeds you.

Idessane should be a bit more grateful to the man who has been his meal ticket for decades. Kheredine would be spending his Friday evenings with James McFadden at freezing Championship grounds if it wasn't for Andy Murray.

That article would have been like Nicholas Witchell telling old Lizzie to hang up the boots.

"A point overall was deserved. The fans were great today, they really got behind us. The boys were great, it was an even game. Don't know about Ibrox."

This is slightly petty, but From the bbc match report of today. Why would you include this bolded quote with no context? 

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

"A point overall was deserved. The fans were great today, they really got behind us. The boys were great, it was an even game. Don't know about Ibrox."

This is slightly petty, but From the bbc match report of today. Why would you include this bolded quote with no context? 

Did he say it?

19 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I read that yesterday and thought what a shit way to quote him. I'm sure he did say don't, know, about and Ibrox, but there were other words interspersed.

6 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

He'll fit right in in Peterhead then

Regardless, why the f**k is this even news and what's the issue?

I voted against brexit but don't see what bearing this has on Warnock getting the Aberdeen job.

3 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Regardless, why the f**k is this even news and what's the issue?

I voted against brexit but don't see what bearing this has on Warnock getting the Aberdeen job.

It’s not news, Tom English just posted it on his Twitter page to get a reaction from people. 

Warnock is a decent manager and can be good value but the media up here are going to be insufferable if/when he gets the Aberdeen job with the way they’ll cover all his “crazy” comments as if he really means them.

Edited by Stu

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I read that yesterday and thought what a shit way to quote him. I'm sure he did say don't, know, about and Ibrox, but there were other words interspersed.

I’m assuming he was asked something about being in charge on Tuesday. But including it as an isolated quote within comments about the match was bizarre. 

8 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

The hypocritical p***k was happy for him to go to Rangers a few years ago. Warnock’s politics have f**k all to do with anybody as far as I’m concerned.