The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, flood said:

I wasn't there mate - I took the scores from Scottish Pyramid news last night.  Given the state I was in I'm surprised I was only a goal out. Meeting old colleagues for afternoon beers in Falkirk is a very bad idea. I feel like sh1te today.

On 24 September 2017 at 11:53, Monkey Tennis said:

Spot on.

The original Jackson piece was utterly woeful - childish, stupid and insulting.  He deserved the grief he got and it was perfectly proper that 'Kick it Out' highlighted and criticised it.  In that context, it's staggering that he's attempting a defence, when you'd think Bennett's notion of a "low profile" would make more sense.

However, his attack on the OF fixture, the way it's built up and worshipped in the media and ignored by those charged with opposing discrimination, is perfectly valid.

The trouble is that  Jackson isn't now coming out with this because he believes or feels that the fixture is a disgusting spectacle.  He's doing It for entirely selfish reasons based on the slagging he's attracted this week.  Despite the fact that what he says is right, his latest piece just makes him look yet more ridiculous, childish and tawdry.

Aye. It's similar to Joey Barton's statement about gambling in football when he was caught out. The points are all valid, but the motivation is self-interest and absolving blame.

Do the Record do this every week?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-rangers-could-line-up-11252640

Literally predicting the Rangers team for the match v Hamilton.  They show how Rangers could line up for their match against Hamilton this weekend. We see 5 variations on the team...

Literally the only difference between them all is one player here or there.  Alves or McCrorie, Miller or Pena and then they just throw in a wildcard one at the end as well as suggesting a debut for somebody I've never heard of.

In the whole article they never once mention anything to do with Hamilton other than the fact that they have a plastic pitch.  There's little tactical analysis.

Are there Rangers fans at home sitting discussing which team they'd go with?

Do the Record do this every week?
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-rangers-could-line-up-11252640
Literally predicting the Rangers team for the match v Hamilton.  They show how Rangers could line up for their match against Hamilton this weekend. We see 5 variations on the team...
Literally the only difference between them all is one player here or there.  Alves or McCrorie, Miller or Pena and then they just throw in a wildcard one at the end as well as suggesting a debut for somebody I've never heard of.
In the whole article they never once mention anything to do with Hamilton other than the fact that they have a plastic pitch.  There's little tactical analysis.
Are there Rangers fans at home sitting discussing which team they'd go with?

There’s probably more grounds for debate over which team we’ll play given half of our team is out with broken bodies, but that would actually require them to know any of our players other than Crawford - because he’s always linked with Rangers - or Templeton - because he used to play for them. If you’re gonna do a feature like this, which in itself isn’t that bad an idea, then at least do it for both teams in the match.

Former Rangers youth player Billy Gilmour has scored his third goal in as many games for Chelsea Under-18s following his summer switch to the London giants. (Scottish Sun)

Barrel scraping by the BBC and Sun for their *** material today. 

Of course if Chelsea U18s are being covered there's bound to be plenty mentions for their successful manager, ex-St Johnstone captain Jody Morris...

Former Rangers youth player Billy Gilmour has scored his third goal in as many games for Chelsea Under-18s following his summer switch to the London giants. (Scottish Sun)

Barrel scraping by the BBC and Sun for their *** material today. 
Of course if Chelsea U18s are being covered there's bound to be plenty mentions for their successful manager, ex-St Johnstone captain Jody Morris...

Not sure I agree its that bad.

Yes of course there's an element of rangers pandering in there but he is a very highly rated prospect and it isn't the worst thing in the world that people are interested in his progress.

Untitled.jpg.f9c5eea6ba826a97b346dca526ed9f38.jpg

As you can tell from the BBC site, Scotland Under-21's have just kicked off their key European Championship qualifier against England at Middlesbrough. A first ever win against the English will take us top of the group following a great win against Netherlands.  It's a big game obviously.

On 10/1/2017 at 16:19, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure I agree its that bad.

Yes of course there's an element of rangers pandering in there but he is a very highly rated prospect and it isn't the worst thing in the world that people are interested in his progress.

Or the fact that Rangers released him for peanuts, probably without a sell-on cause, and, hey... guess what... he's actually no too bad.

At our game yesterday they mentioned several times that we were missing 5 players as they were on international duty.

One of those players, Callum Smith, played the full 90 minutes yesterday.

Also some of the commentators seem to have picked up on the stat that Slovenia have yet to concede at home in this group, with some of them saying they've never conceded at home.

• 2 weeks later...