The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Guest TheJTS98
On 23/11/2020 at 05:02, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's probably true.

A related idea would be that people who would have got nowhere near such positions in bygone years, might have a chance now.

I do have a bee in my bonnet that football coverage is especially forgiving in this regard.  You simply would not get political writing of this type on a BBC platform.  I'd also argue that you'd be a lot less likely to encounter it with cricket, golf or rugby.

As I said, maybe it shouldn't bother me too much because I don't suppose it matters that hugely.  It's annoying though when a lack of care is evident in something that feels important.

I get annoyed enough by insignificant language mistakes that I've given this more thought than is proper.

I think a combination of the things mentioned on here. Craigkillie is right that sport writing has lost prestige for sure.

And while the loss of prestige has pushed out some people who might once have done a great job of football writing, there is now more football writing than ever before. A constant stream of blogs, online magazines, fan content etc. If anyone wants to write about football, now is the easiest time to do it. As long as you'll work for nothing. That's going to drag standards down.

I think this is reflected in the technical quality of writing, but also in the nature of what gets published. There is so much absolute shite out there in more or less every publication that must surely be of actual interest to nobody whatsoever.

10 things we learned about ... Oh f**k off.

Edited by TheJTS98

11 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Its what passes for journalism these days. Dig out a few stats, craft some words round them, hit the publish button and - bingo, its time to hit the Negronis.

I read very little of the BBC output these days, even if its about Hibs because its invariably out of date or (like in this case) complete shite.

Aye definitely.

I just found it bizarre they're now asking if Rangers can win the title when they are favourites for the first time since their promotion.

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

Did he fuk. Fulham were interested in signing him. Then an EPL club. Look at his career stats and tell me he made a full recovery you cnut.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=bd729091e51e729a

Fulham weren't an English Premier League club back then. In fact, Fulham were promoted to the EPL for the first time in 2000-01 - When Chris was playing for Alloa.

A pretty minor point after the big hitting of recent posts on here, but Premier Sports are advertising their three live League Cup ties this weekend with, “This is the 135th season of Scotalnd’s most prestigious football knockout competition. Who’ll get their hands on the oldest association football trophy in the world in May?” And that is how they’ve spelt Scotland to compound their stupidity.

1 minute ago, Spam_Valley said:

Fulham weren't an English Premier League club back then. In fact, Fulham were promoted to the EPL for the first time in 2000-01 - When Chris was playing for Alloa.

I stand corrected on that. But Tokely and his sympathisers are still cnuts of the highest order.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

A pretty minor point after the big hitting of recent posts on here, but Premier Sports are advertising their three live League Cup ties this weekend with, “This is the 135th season of Scotalnd’s most prestigious football knockout competition. Who’ll get their hands on the oldest association football trophy in the world in May?” And that is how they’ve spelt Scotland to compound their stupidity.

I used to have a "policy" of not buying from organisations who allowed thickos in their marketing areas to publish adverts with poor spelling, grammar etc................but I have had to revise that as its so widespread now I would have no food in the house or clothes to wear 🙄

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ian Durrant never made a full recovery. You don't need to from a dive.

tell that to Jim Leighton. Tried to dive and eat Rod Wallace's knee, but one set of false teeth and he's right as rain.

On 24/11/2020 at 12:00, Merkland Red said:

Aye definitely.

I just found it bizarre they're now asking if Rangers can win the title when they are favourites for the first time since their promotion.

Yes I saw it and thought the same.

There's such little thought going into their output.

56 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Admittedly, in the actual piece  about Lennon on the BBC website, Tom English uses the correct expression.

Much as it pains me to give TE any credit, that's a fairly decent read.

Celtic: What now for Neil Lennon after another Sparta Prague humiliation?

"When Sparta came to Glasgow earlier this month and won 4-1, Lennon said this had to be the end of soft-touch Celtic. "This is a turning point," he said. "It won't happen again, that's for sure." Twenty days, and three games, later, it happened again. Once more, Lennon is left to sift through a wreckage in an attempt to find something of value. It's not a pretty sight."

Edited by Doctor Manhattan
ETA: Except maybe for the Maya Angelou bit!

1 minute ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Much as it pains me to give TE any credit, that's a fairly decent read.

Celtic: What now for Neil Lennon after another Sparta Prague humiliation?

"When Sparta came to Glasgow earlier this month and won 4-1, Lennon said this had to be the end of soft-touch Celtic. "This is a turning point," he said. "It won't happen again, that's for sure." Twenty days, and three games, later, it happened again. Once more, Lennon is left to sift through a wreckage in an attempt to find something of value. It's not a pretty sight."

Yes, the article itself is fine.  I'd imagine he's got nothing to do with how it gets framed on the page.

On 24/11/2020 at 12:15, kingjoey said:

A pretty minor point after the big hitting of recent posts on here, but Premier Sports are advertising their three live League Cup ties this weekend with, “This is the 135th season of Scotalnd’s most prestigious football knockout competition. Who’ll get their hands on the oldest association football trophy in the world in May?” 

I wouldn't call that minor.

The people writing such shite clearly have no feel whatever for their subject and can't be arsed developing one.

It's that bloody lack of care again.  It enrages me more than I should let it.

34 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wouldn't call that minor.

The people writing such shite clearly have no feel whatever for their subject and can't be arsed developing one.

It's that bloody lack of care again.  It enrages me more than I should let it.

Earth shattering word mangling, I'm also outraged.

Out of interest, has Chris Sutton ever said anything relevant and/or true?

Absolute fucking walloper of a man. Rent a quote idiot, desperate for the attention. He is the Jeremy Clarkson of football. Living in another era, unaware that his tedious rants and pathetic opinions are being picked up because he sounds like a child whining about dropping their sweets rather than the cutting and incisive punditry he seems to think he's known for.

20 hours ago, Ric said:

Out of interest, has Chris Sutton ever said anything relevant and/or true?

Absolute fucking walloper of a man. Rent a quote idiot, desperate for the attention. He is the Jeremy Clarkson of football. Living in another era, unaware that his tedious rants and pathetic opinions are being picked up because he sounds like a child whining about dropping their sweets rather than the cutting and incisive punditry he seems to think he's known for.

As much as I find him as irritating as you. ( I don't anymore actually, as I avoid listening to him and only see headlines in websites). I don't think he's that daft. He's seen the market and is catering to it.