The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

The anti-Inverness/Dingwall on a school night trip argument does have some merit. It's a mission to get up and down the M80 and A9 at rush hour anyway, without the added pressure of football fans needing to get there for half 7 or 7.45. 

I'm not arguing against having midweek fixtures there, but it is an issue for fans that doesn't necessarily have a workable solution (other than skive off work early, of which I am in full support). 

The anti-Inverness/Dingwall on a school night trip argument does have some merit. It's a mission to get up and down the M80 and A9 at rush hour anyway, without the added pressure of football fans needing to get there for half 7 or 7.45. 

I'm not arguing against having midweek fixtures there, but it is an issue for fans that doesn't necessarily have a workable solution (other than skive off work early, of which I am in full support). 

It's also a mission for their fans to get down and up, something which rarely is acknowledged

Just now, dogmc said:

It's also a mission for their fans to get down and up, something which rarely is acknowledged

Absolutely agree. For the four times a season that the central belt teams head up there, it's every other game for them. Fair play to their fans, must cost them a small fortune.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The way people talk about the A9 you'd think it was a single track road winding through mountains with a 2000m drop on one side.

The lads on an away trip up to Inverness:

Edited by yoda

Folk who are scared of the a9 shouldn't be driving. As safe as any other road unless you're an absolute fucking moron.

I've never understood why Celtic and Rangers fans mewl about that journey while wanking themselves into a frothy mess over making longer journeys every week if they joined the English leagues.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Folk who are scared of the a9 shouldn't be driving. As safe as any other road unless you're an absolute fucking moron.

I've never understood why Celtic and Rangers fans mewl about that journey while wanking themselves into a frothy mess over making longer journeys every week if they joined the English leagues.

Disagree slightly on your A9 point - it's the other fucking morons on it that make it dangerous!

15 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Disagree slightly on your A9 point - it's the other fucking morons on it that make it dangerous!

The A9 is as boring as f**k with the average speed cameras now tbh. The only entertainment to be had is trolling the f**k out of Audi A4 driving dickheads tailgating you because you're driving at 59mph and they can't really overtake until a stretch of dualler comes up. I used to drive it nearly every weekend pre-hillwalking injury and I'm lucky if i've seen one mental overtake since the cameras went up. 

Years ago however it was fucking mental at times. There's a big long straight just north of Dalwhinnie which I remember being passed by a Merc on like I was standing still (I was already in 3 figures - allegedly). 

Has anyone ever been caught by average speed cameras? In must be spawny as f**k, or time it perfectly, as I can pump it up to Inverness or to Glasgow averaging well over 70 yet seem to escape (so far)

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Has anyone ever been caught by average speed cameras? In must be spawny as f**k, or time it perfectly, as I can pump it up to Inverness or to Glasgow averaging well over 70 yet seem to escape (so far)

I haven't but the a guy i work beside has just lost his licence with totting up points through the effing things. We live up here at the side of the A9, we've become accustomed to using our average speed counter to keep track. The cameras aren't on all the time but there's no way of knowing!

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They're probably on fairly infrequently. I've seen no mention of any convictions other than the post a few above. They're a fucking pain in the tits though as if I was heading over to Kintail or Skyre or whatever I'd leave Forfar at 4am and absolutely boot it up the A9 until Dalwhinnie, although somewhat annoyingly I managed to get flashed by the only fucking camera between Perth and Dalwhinnie before the average speed ones went up :lol:

10 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The highlights on the BBC page look like they were filmed on someones phone.

Must admit I haven't watched them. I just saw the story and the wee video clip at the top ready to play if you wanted. Quite tempted to watch them now after you said that!