The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

21 hours ago, Molotov said:

Scholes was a tremendous player. I’d actually say he was underrated compared to the other players in that Man Utd era as he just went quietly about his business. 

Nice quiet guy off the pitch, had a wee nasty streak in him on it though, went in with the odd bone crunching tackle just to let them know he was there.

From the BBC live text.

I appreciate this is a bit old man shouts at sky (or should that be Sky?) but not sure what's funny about the contrast.

If reported fees are to go by, the Premier League side have spent an eye-watering £80m this summer.

Big money signings Moussa Diaby and Pau Torres feature for Unai Emery's side.

In comparison, Hibs' summer spending amounts to about £1.5m. The contrast is quite funny.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

From the BBC live text.

I appreciate this is a bit old man shouts at sky (or should that be Sky?) but not sure what's funny about the contrast.

If reported fees are to go by, the Premier League side have spent an eye-watering £80m this summer.

Big money signings Moussa Diaby and Pau Torres feature for Unai Emery's side.

In comparison, Hibs' summer spending amounts to about £1.5m. The contrast is quite funny.

What’s funny is when English pundits accuse the Saudi’s of ‘distorting the market’. 

48 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What’s funny is when English pundits accuse the Saudi’s of ‘distorting the market’. 

Aye. Fairly sure Chelsea are going to have spent £1bn in 12 months by the end of this transfer window.

8 hours ago, Urban Spaceman said:

I'm in my mid to late 40s - hence the lack of exact recall on the early 90s. 

BUT a close family member got all of that straight from the horses mouth over decades. All of the interviews at the time and the later documentaries you've seen are the sanitised disney version of life at carrington, particularly when it comes to Cantona. I know this and thats why I chimed in while having no real dog in the fight.

But you're bias against the younger posters on the forum and general know it all superiority is really shining through : )  so you crack on.

😄

You had an 'inside source' aye?

9 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Nice quiet guy off the pitch, had a wee nasty streak in him on it though, went in with the odd bone crunching tackle just to let them know he was there.

A lot of people don’t know this but he’s also actually a fully licensed chiropodist.

On 22/08/2023 at 13:15, RandomGuy. said:

If he'd played for Lazio instead of Man U then literally everyone on this thread saying he wasnt over rated wouldn't have that opinion. Its purely and simply nostalgia because you remember the EPL hype train showing you his best bits every week.

Eh... in the 90's, Lazio played in Serie A.  You would know if you were old enough to that, that would probably make him more loved - especially since EVERY player you named to disparage Cantona was eh... in Serie A 

On 23/08/2023 at 20:42, RandomGuy. said:

Aye. Fairly sure Chelsea are going to have spent £1bn in 12 months by the end of this transfer window.

Current EPL spend, with a week to the close still to go, is £1.9bn. An astonishing figure. And it still creates a league littered with also-rans that will never win the title, play in the Champions League. 

On 23/08/2023 at 14:22, LIVIFOREVER said:

He was a cracking player, but got away with murder because they managed to get that "Aww he's just a wee lad that doesn't know how to tackle" narrative out there.