The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Not directly about scottish football but on today's Sunday supplement the journos were flailing around Gary Neville for having temerity to suggest that modern journos are gash. The seethe and wagon circling was hilarious given how happy they are to destroy a mgr or player. Even the most cursory glance through this thread would show that Neville was correct.

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

A lot of journalists quite rightly take flak on here, but credit is due for Rob Maclean, who is spot on when he describes:

I couldn't agree more BB.

RCFC is a truly remarkable club, that we are blessed to support.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/328371/its-always-puzzled-me-why-the-last-christmas-day-game-in-scotland-was-40-years-ago-were-missing-a-trick/

Towards the end of this article, arguing there should be football on Christmas day in Scotland

"There are five games in Turkey’s Super Lig on Sunday, including the meeting of a club who look as though someone has sat on the computer keyboard, Akhisar Belediye Genclik Spor (whose current ranks include former Old Firm worthies Landry N’Guemo and Mervan Celik) and Konyaspor.

And fans in the Israeli Ligat HaAl can look forward to seeing Maccabi Petach-Tikva facing Hapoel Ra’anana in what’s likely to be a pulsating local derby."

Yeah because Christmas day is a huge event in Muslim and Jewish countries...

:huh: :lol:

He's wrong about a few things though. Christmas Day football here (with the exception of a traditional Third Lanark v Dundee game before the war, IIRC) was almost entirely restricted to days when it fell on a Saturday i.e. there'd otherwise have been a full card anyway. Traditionally it wasn't a major event in Scotland due to our Presbyterian tradition, in comparison to down south, as with Good Friday & Easter Monday...

That's the same reason they began playing local cup finals on Christmas Day in Ulster, making use of the public holiday, and the tradition has continued in at least one case. It's always a morning game and always except when Christmas Day falls on a Sunday: it's not "been switched" to a "ludicrous time" at all.

In many European nations they don't play over Christmas at all and certainly not Christmas Eve.

I don't know if there was ever much of a practice of playing on Christmas Day outside UK.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Changed times Christmas Day was not a public holiday in Scotland till 1958 ( Boxing Day till 1974),

The last game was 1976, so basically it stopped almost straight after Christmas Day and Boxing Day were both Public Holidays.

When it was a normal Saturday there was foootball, now as it a holiday with no public transport,

and I would expect private bus drivers, external catering staff and ground staff wanting and righting expecting double time

to get dragged away from their families makes the logisitcs and expense ridiculous.

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

:huh: :lol:

He's wrong about a few things though. Christmas Day football here (with the exception of a traditional Third Lanark v Dundee game before the war, IIRC) was almost entirely restricted to days when it fell on a Saturday i.e. there'd otherwise have been a full card anyway. Traditionally it wasn't a major event in Scotland due to our Presbyterian tradition, in comparison to down south, as with Good Friday & Easter Monday...

That's the same reason they began playing local cup finals on Christmas Day in Ulster, making use of the public holiday, and the tradition has continued in at least one case. It's always a morning game and always except when Christmas Day falls on a Sunday: it's not "been switched" to a "ludicrous time" at all.

In many European nations they don't play over Christmas at all and certainly not Christmas Eve.

I don't know if there was ever much of a practice of playing on Christmas Day outside UK.

How old are you, Hibee?

4 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Changed times Christmas Day was not a public holiday in Scotland till 1958 ( Boxing Day till 1974),

The last game was 1976, so basically it stopped almost straight after Christmas Day and Boxing Day were both Public Holidays.

When it was a normal Saturday there was foootball, now as it a holiday with no public transport,

and I would expect private bus drivers, external catering staff and ground staff wanting and righting expecting double time

to get dragged away from their families makes the logisitcs and expense ridiculous.

My grandparents got married in 1930 or so on Christmas Day, and that date was no big deal for anybody.

4 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Clydebank vs St. Mirren on Xmas day 1976 would seem to bear this out.

8 hours ago, Torpar said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/328371/its-always-puzzled-me-why-the-last-christmas-day-game-in-scotland-was-40-years-ago-were-missing-a-trick/

Towards the end of this article, arguing there should be football on Christmas day in Scotland

"There are five games in Turkey’s Super Lig on Sunday, including the meeting of a club who look as though someone has sat on the computer keyboard, Akhisar Belediye Genclik Spor (whose current ranks include former Old Firm worthies Landry N’Guemo and Mervan Celik) and Konyaspor.

And fans in the Israeli Ligat HaAl can look forward to seeing Maccabi Petach-Tikva facing Hapoel Ra’anana in what’s likely to be a pulsating local derby."

Yeah because Christmas day is a huge event in Muslim and Jewish countries...

Who the f**k wants to go to the football on Xmas day? :lol:

Think 65/66 might have been last full programme as Dundee beat Motherwell 2-0 then had to go and deliver the Sporting Post on my paper round later that night.

ETA: It was a 4-0 win with a Kenny Cameron hat-trick and one from Carl Bertelsen. Delivering the Sporting Post means it was a Saturday.

1976 was the last occasion games were held on Christmas Day (namely Clydebank-St Mirren and Alloa-Cowdenbeath)... and also the last occasion a game was played on Christmas Eve when it wasn't a Saturday (namely Hibs-Ayr: which was a Friday).

Much-delayed replays in the Scottish Cup were played on midweek on Christmas Day in 1973 (Clydebank-East Stirlingshire: they'd drawn the day prior i.e. Christmas Eve!) and 1969 (St Cuthbert Wanderers-Stranraer) but the last league games held on Christmas Day when it wasn't a Saturday were 1957 (Celtic-QotS and Dundee-Killie).

Last full league card was 1971, the last time it fell on a Saturday before 1976.

There was never a full midweek card - only ever odd games.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

How old are you, Hibee?

Not old enough to have seen Third Lanark v Dundee on Christmas Day. It is true though - from the start of league football in 1890 to 1925 there were only 15 midweek Christmas Day games and no fewer than 12 of these were Third Lanark v Dundee... It was clearly deliberately arranged. I'm sceptical of it, but I've seen a theory suggesting it was down to the Jews.

58 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not old enough to have seen Third Lanark v Dundee on Christmas Day. It is true though - from the start of league football in 1890 to 1925 there were only 15 midweek Christmas Day games and no fewer than 12 of these were Third Lanark v Dundee... It was clearly deliberately arranged. I'm sceptical of it, but I've seen a theory suggesting it was down to the Jews.

unnamed (10).gif