James McClean

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he done it for attention. He wanted to be seen making a stand against the anthem . That's his right, he's entitled to do that but people are entitled to have the opinion that he is a bell end.

Personally I don't see the big deal. I didn't stand up for QSTQ when we played NI at Hampden, others booed.

At the end of the day football fans and players are really petty and hypocrites, I'm more concerned with the amount of people of are looking for things to be 'outraged' at. It's one of social medias biggest down falls.

I'm more concerned with the amount of people of are looking for things to be 'outraged' at. It's one of social medias biggest down falls.

Stop Kone.

I don't do Twitter, but it does seem to encourage lazy keyboard warriors to feel like they are doing something by writing 140 characters.

The whole concept of Twitter just sounds utterly shit to me. I don't get why you would be interested in following what anyone said.

Has anyone watched the footage right through? If he is as late to respond here as he usually is in the tackle, then he probably face the right way around 30 seconds after the music stopped.

Non story that has done nothing but out the muppets on all sides of this. Man with political beliefs makes silent protest at inconsequential moment.

Man with political beliefs makes silent protest at inconsequential moment.

He could have made a silent protest without demonstrably turning away.

On the "political beliefs" front, if he was a white supremacist and turned his back on "Kick Racism Out of Football" as he quite liked racism in football, would that be OK?

On the "political beliefs" front, if he was a white supremacist and turned his back on "Kick Racism Out of Football" as he quite liked racism in football, would that be OK?

It's probably worth noting that (1) he isn't (2) he didn't and (3) this analogy is shit.

It's probably worth noting that (1) he isn't (2) he didn't and (3) this analogy is shit.

Eh, it probably isn't worth noting that at all, as it's completely irrelevant.

No surprise at all though that this is a bit too complicated for you.

Are "political beliefs" OK to express, or aren't they? Or is it just some "political beliefs" that are OK to express?

Here's my take.

1. James McLean is a below average premier league footballer. He's otherwise irrelevant.

2. He's making a series of childish gestures which serve only to make him feel good about being edgy and political. There's nothing noble about it.

3. All of the above is trumped by the hilarious amount of hate and rage it has generated, so to that end, carry on James - although I am partly laughing at you as well as with you.

Eh, it probably isn't worth noting that at all, as it's completely irrelevant.

No surprise at all though that this is a bit too complicated for you.

Are "political beliefs" OK to express, or aren't they? Or is it just some "political beliefs" that are OK to express?

Some political beliefs are okay to express. "Kick racism out of football" and "Please God, gonnae save the queen when you've got a minute" are political beliefs it is okay to express.

"Bring back slavery" and "gas all the jews" are not okay to express.

Whilst it was attention seeking and pointless, I'd put "please don't save the queen" with the former rather than the latter tbh.

. He's making a series of childish gestures which serve only to make him feel good about being edgy and political. There's nothing noble about it.

This is my view also.

Whilst it was attention seeking and pointless, I'd put "please don't save the queen" with the former rather than the latter tbh.

Who is asking him to "save the queen" or indeed sing that anthem?

Had he stood in line and kept his lips firmly shut no one would have said anything.

Instead, the petulant little wannabe decided, as SH says, to try and appear edgy. Instead, he just looks (even more of a) twat.

This is my view also.

Who is asking him to "save the queen" or indeed sing that anthem?

Had he stood in line and kept his lips firmly shut no one would have said anything.

Instead, the petulant little wannabe decided, as SH says, to try and appear edgy. Instead, he just looks (even more of a) twat.

He did not, however, repudiate anything along the lines of kicking racism out of football, which was the original point with which I took issue.

He did not, however, repudiate anything along the lines of kicking racism out of football, which was the original point with which I took issue.

Eh, nor did I say he did. It was establishing the principle of whether him having "political beliefs" was in any way relevant here.

Which I'm glad we have established "no, it isn't" is the answer.

A fair summary overall, but did he really need to make an form of 'protest'?

Unfortunately where football/politics/religion is concerned, there is no such thing as an 'inconsequential moment'.

He didn't need to make his protest, much as he didn't need to the last time around during poppy season. I suppose you can at least give him bonus points for consistency.

Are you really trying to compare what happened at the weekend with being pro white supremacy?

Are you really trying to compare what happened at the weekend with being pro white supremacy?

I'm dismantling your irrelevant "he's got political beliefs" line.

He is, but don't worry - he'll backtrack and then claim you're stupid for suggesting it.

There is a phrase used in discrimination legislation - 'political beliefs worthy of respect in a democratic society' are protected, which sums up why the analogy doesn't work quite nicely.

I'm dismantling your irrelevant "he's got political beliefs" line.

By being obtuse and making a comparison to the extreme, you are not dismantling anything. Reductio ad absurdum.

There is a phrase used in discrimination legislation -

What, exactly, does discrimination legislation have to do with anything at all here?

What, exactly, does discrimination legislation have to do with anything at all here?

The phrase used in the legislation sums up why your analogy was specious.

This point was made in the post you quoted so I'm very disappointed to have to make it again.

Archived