Films that deserve a remake

killienick

Won an oscar for his role in the Untouchables as an irish-american officer ha.

Only connery can get away with having the same accent in every film and play multiple nationalities.

American, Irish, Russian, Spanish, English at least

Incidentally has he ever played an actual Scotsman? I seem to remember some clan film but nothing else.

That's a very good point. He's played plenty of Scots, but they're usually ex-pats, or you assume the character's Scottish because he's playing them, despite their nationality not being mentioned. It's an interesting anomaly for one of Scotland's highest-profile Nationalists. More fuel for the folk who think he couldn't actually give a shit about Scotland, I'm sure :P

haha, wonder if there was a clamour for that.

Agree on the messing with DH, but the new series will apparently be about the original incarnation, not the derivative 1990s DHII remake.

Pic from comicon:

Deaths-Head-Volume-1_zps6zqkbzoh.jpg
Various incarnations of the original Death's head have recently been in Iron Man, X-Men and Spider-Man, so I'm hopeful it'll be alright.
I'd apologise for the digression in the thread. But won't.

That pic is awesome. Yes?

Outland. Think it over.

Dunno, without the people exploding in vacuums (couldn't get away with that in modern science fiction) and Sean Connery's charisma, it was a pretty ordinary retread of high noon.

Dunno, without the people exploding in vacuums (couldn't get away with that in modern science fiction) and Sean Connery's charisma, it was a pretty ordinary retread of high noon.

That's probably why it could use a remake TBH, with a bit of script doctoring.

Thought the atmosphere of that film was great; a better script and it could've been a real classic.

That's probably why it could use a remake TBH, with a bit of script doctoring.

Thought the atmosphere of that film was great; a better script and it could've been a real classic.

Yeah, Peter Hyams was pretty good at getting a bit of tension into it. The look of the thing kinda sold it, that early 80s grimy, dark lit future setting that they'd been doing since Alien in '79 and kind of went out of fashion as CGI came into it's own. If you lose that, you lose a lot of what made the movie special. Hyams actually nailed it better in his other sci fi a couple of years later with 2010: The year we make contact. That had a fantastic atmosphere, a real sense of the unknown about it.

Yeah, Peter Hyams was pretty good at getting a bit of tension into it. The look of the thing kinda sold it, that early 80s grimy, dark lit future setting that they'd been doing since Alien in '79 and kind of went out of fashion as CGI came into it's own. If you lose that, you lose a lot of what made the movie special. Hyams actually nailed it better in his other sci fi a couple of years later with 2010: The year we make contact. That had a fantastic atmosphere, a real sense of the unknown about it.

The Purge could do with a reboot. Good concept, completely fucked.

tumblr_m040suCQ0D1rpglhvo1_400.gif

I think he was in the Transformers comic at one point.

It was this. I luckily started buying the comic in question with my pocket money a few weeks before his first appearance (issue 113, May 1987, geek fans).

So not really lucky at all I guess, as I got hooked, and wouldn't like to think what the total amount of money I've wasted on buying comics over the years :(

Was great though. For those not lucky (?) enough to have wasted years on this, Death's Head has fought regular Marvel characters like The Fantastic Four, X-Men, Spiderman, Iron Man, but also Doctor Who & the Transformers and it's all in continuity. He's like Kevin Bacon.

A few greatest hits of those old ones and I promise not to spam the thread any more:

marvel-uk-transformers-issue-133.jpg

deathsheadfpa2.jpg

Blog-14-1-Deaths-Head-9.jpg

....and I'm done.

RE the thread topic; I would be tempted to do something with the Hellraiser franchise. I'd want decent money and a good script though, most horror films these days seem to be pish.

I like the shout on Logan's Run, that could definitely be done better. I'd probably prefer most 70s era post-apocalyptic films to be left as is though; I like Fahrenheit 451, The Andromeda Strain, Soylent Green the way they are. Tim Burton's planet of the Apes, the disastrous Rollerball remake, and the pishy Will Smith version of The Omega Man all kinda put me off these remakes.

Edited by milton75

Well, I'll be buggered. I definitely would've read that Transformers one back when I was a nipper.

Pretty sure He-Man also had some kind of rip-off character too, with replaceable weapons on one hand.

Incidentally has he ever played an actual Scotsman? I seem to remember some clan film but nothing else.

Pretty sure he's portraying a Scot in The Offence.

ETA: you forgot Egyptian (Highlander)

Edited by Raidernation

Peter Jackson has been interested in remaking the Dambusters. Probably would have by now if he wasn't obsessed by the rings of hobbits.

With decent cgi the Dambusters could be excellent. Jeezo, imagine the bouncing bombs coming at you in 3D!

That leaves the awkward question of what Barnes Wallace's dog might have to be called in the remake?

• 2 weeks later...

Day Of The Triffids.

It's already had a couple, in fairness. If they haven't got it right by now...

I didn't realise that somebody wrote a sequel a while back. Night of the Triffids, unsurprisingly. Anyone read it?