The Unionists are diminishing,

How do they make up the names for places that never had Gaelic names or does everything have one ??

Most places will have had a Gaelic names historically, some are given literal translations Haymarket - margadh an fheòir

I do see the odd one that I suspect are makey uppers.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most places will have had a Gaelic names historically, some are given literal translations Haymarket - margadh an fheòir

I do see the odd one that I suspect are makey uppers.

Fair enough.It was a genuine question as I suspected some were made up. Each one should come with a "Gael warning" I suppose.

Think we just made them part of the Empire and told them the new name.Im not even joking though.I mean has Bratislava or Istanbul got a Gaelic name ??

Some places have names that the Gaels used for them - London= lunnain. Others won't have Gaelic names as such but would need to conform to Gaelic spelling conventions so Bratislava might be written Bradaioslabha

Fair enough.It was a genuine question as I suspected some were made up. Each one should come with a "Gael warning" I suppose.

Correct. So, even places like hawick that have no history of Gaelic will have a Gaelic name because historically that's what the Gaels called it. Glasgow Queen Street is a literal translation. Gyle is probably just made up by giving the word Gyle over to Gaelic spelling conventions.

Correct. So, even places like hawick that have no history of Gaelic will have a Gaelic name because historically that's what the Gaels called it. Glasgow Queen Street is a literal translation. Gyle is probably just made up by giving the word Gyle over to Gaelic spelling conventions.

Again fair enough but I don't think I will ever see the point in it being applied to signage nationwide.Seems pointless.

Interesting. Another related puzzler is why when im abroad the airport departure board says Glasgow Bristol Manchester Bradford etc etc and then Edinburgo ??

Why do we call Tokyo Tokyo but Nippon Japan?

And what the f**k's up with Deutschland? We call it Germany, the French cal it Allemagne and the Poles call it Niemcy!

We rename everything that matters. So Edinburgh will have a long history of use in Latin influenced countries so they have their own word for it. Post industrial revolution cities like Manchester, Bradford and Glasgow were never needed until the last 150 years.

So basically, Edinburgh's better than Glasgow.

Why do we call Tokyo Tokyo but Nippon Japan?

And what the f**k's up with Deutschland? We call it Germany, the French cal it Allemagne and the Poles call it Niemcy!

Just all seems lazy and arbitrary at times.If people in Holland are Dutch what are they calling it the Netherlands for ?? Dutchland sounds good but again could confuse. Dutchland Dutchland uber alles anyone...

We rename everything that matters. So Edinburgh will have a long history of use in Latin influenced countries so they have their own word for it. Post industrial revolution cities like Manchester, Bradford and Glasgow were never needed until the last 150 years.

Unimportant teuchters up till then.This is genuinely informative stuff this.

Again fair enough but I don't think I will ever see the point in it being applied to signage nationwide.Seems pointless.

It is and it isn't. Practically i is pointless. There are no monoglot Gaels left.

However, some would say Gaelic speakers, wherever they live in Scotland, have a right to live their lives in Gaelic as much as possible and that public and government bodies have a duty to facilitate this.

It's not black and white. Plenty Gaelic campaigners see stuff like the station signs as a waste of time, a distraction, a stick to beat Gaelic with and that resource and effort should be concentrated on saving the language in the Gaidhealtachd.

It is and it isn't. Practically i is pointless. There are no monoglot Gaels left.

However, some would say Gaelic speakers, wherever they live in Scotland, have a right to live their lives in Gaelic as much as possible and that public and government bodies have a duty to facilitate this.

It's not black and white. Plenty Gaelic campaigners see stuff like the station signs as a waste of time, a distraction, a stick to beat Gaelic with and that resource and effort should be concentrated on saving the language in the Gaidhealtachd.

Im inclined to agree it seems more about "image" than saving the Gaelic tongue.

Archived