words that sound neddy

Nadroj

There seems to be a problem with words that end in "ow". I've found.

If I'm down at the supermarket I would say "excuse me my good fellow but are those bananas yellow?".

But Mr Ned sed, "oi use fellae are thae bananas yellae?".

Oh & I wouldn't dare shop for fruit in Portobello.

Grimbo

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The use of Ben.

Usually in connection with hoose.

Use of hingme as an all purpose word. Often prefacing shoap.

Ah wiz in that hingme shoap..

I love the way neds pronounce some place names, particular favourites of mine include, rurglin - Rutherglen and murwil- Motherwell.

The "Ned pronunciation" is usually simply the traditional Scots one. Rutherglen was officially called Ruglen until the name was Anglicised in the Victorian era.

If I'm down at the supermarket I would say "excuse me my good fellow but are those bananas yellow?".

But Mr Ned sed, "oi use fellae are thae bananas yellae?".

That's simply traditional east coast Scots pronunciation. Before the Union of the Crowns that was part and parcel of the prestige dialect of the elite in central Scotland and books and poetry were written in Scots that sounded like that. Nowadays though instead of embracing traditional Lowland culture so called Scottish patriots prance about in plaid skirts and pretend that historical figures like Bruce and Wallace were Gaels that also dressed like that. That's symptomatic of a weird identity crisis rather than a genuine nationalism.

I haven't heard it for a while, but the local bams were referring to each other as neebor (neighbour). Maybe they still do, and I'm just drinking in better pubs now

I've heard 'Neebur' or even the shortened version, 'neeb' quite a lot recently, usually used by old men though. Not sure if it sounds neddy or just a bit shit.

It's hard to spell but neds have a way of saying pushed - if I had to try and spell it I'd go with puhshed.

For some reason pronouncing Possil 'Posso' makes me think someone is a ned but pronouncing Bridgeton 'Brigton' is perfectly acceptable.

I haven't heard it for a while, but the local bams were referring to each other as neebor (neighbour). Maybe they still do, and I'm just drinking in better pubs now

this terms "neebur" seems to have migrated from Fife- if you hear Lanarkshire neds start saying "yahoorsir" then you know there's a been a mass movement of lino lickers from the Kingdom

I remember my mom always telling me to speak properly when I was a youngster. Looking back now all she was doing was promoting English and not broadscots.

What got really confusing was when your mother actually did speak broad Scots to you when naebodie was aboot tae hear it, but still did the speak properly thing a lot of the time as well. You wind up code switching depending on who you are speaking to, and when and where, with a deeply internalised feeling that your native linguistic culture and true mother tongue is second rate and inferior. End result of generations of that is a warped and mental culture and the dour Scot stereotype.

Caithness, possibly the only place where the word "f**k" can have so many, many meanings

"here, buys, he fuckin fucked eh fucker by f**k, f**k"

No doubt the filter will ruin that

ETA It did

The double negative question... "You're from somewhere else, aren't you not?".

The superfluous 's' on 'mine'... "mines is even better".

The use of 'bet' to indicate a victory... "We had a race and I bet him."

Expressing any emotion with the phrase... "Haw man, that's pure hefty mental by the way." would be a clincher.

A smacky looking ned approached me and my ex gf several years ago on Sauchiehall Street and asked "Kin ye shield uz a fag neebur?"

That ned in the centre of Glasgow is the only time I have heard the word 'shield' used in this way.

You had a girlfriend?

Lies !

Archived