Alloa Athletic v Elgin City

Stenhousemuir v Raith Rovers

South Section

Annan Athletic v St Mirren

Ayr United v Rangers

Queen of the South v Livingston

Queen's Park v Dumbarton

Was the draw seeded?

Money in the bank. It'll make a change not getting fucking put out by whoever is bottom of the Third Division at the time as well.

That said, I'm working on the other side of the country, and I've as much interest in getting on a train full of what will be travelling down for the game as I have of jumping underneath it. But I might take the day off.

Dates confirmed. All games are on Tuesday 18th... except for the Alloa-Elgin and Ayr-Rangers ties which are Wednesday 19th.

Although the article on the SPFL website doesn't say so, I notice tweets saying it is not on TV. Assuming it's correct I'm unsure if that's since Alba are saving their remaining picks for Rangers ties later on (I think their deal allows them 4 ties in total?), or because it's also a UEFA date.

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/dates-confirmed-for-petrofac-cup-r2-ties/

Separately - is anyone here a Sun reader, and able to summarise something from today's edition?

Online article says SPFL plan to put Premiership U20 teams into the Petrofac Cup in future, but you can only read the first line without subscribing.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/6562856/Big-guns-set-for-kids-role-in-cup.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20150728-_-SunScotNews-_-214684995

Separately - is anyone here a Sun reader, and able to summarise something from today's edition?

Online article says SPFL plan to put Premiership U20 teams into the Petrofac Cup in future, but you can only read the first line without subscribing.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/6562856/Big-guns-set-for-kids-role-in-cup.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20150728-_-SunScotNews-_-214684995

Well, what a tremendous bag of shite that would be. Can't see that passing muster if it requires a vote, but it would go a long way towards killing interest in the competition from the wee teams IMO.

What is it with this colt teams pish anyway? If you've got too many youngsters, stop taking them off the smaller teams and let them gain experience by playing for them. Ideas like this are purely pandering to bigger clubs' desire to consolidate their position.

I'd rather more non league sides were invited than fucking development teams

You make a good point but the Challenge Cup is all about making money.

Would your club want Clydebank at Clyde's stadium with 50 fans or a Rangers B team for example with a few thousand?.... (as well as TV money)

For what it's worth, I'd rather the Bankies were in the tournament than Rangers. It would be a big deal if they won it. But, as I say, it's all about making money.

It's not a real tournament.

If the lower league sides just played their u20s against them it would be perfect though.

Then it would just be the League Cup.

You make a good point but the Challenge Cup is all about making money.

Would your club want Clydebank at Clyde's stadium with 50 fans or a Rangers B team for example with a few thousand?.... (as well as TV money)

For what it's worth, I'd rather the Bankies were in the tournament than Rangers. It would be a big deal if they won it. But, as I say, it's all about making money.

It's not a real tournament.

The case for the disbandment of football rests, m'lud.

...and you only want Rangers out of it because you think it'll mean you're in the Premiership :P

The case for the disbandment of football rests, m'lud.

...and you only want Rangers out of it because you think it'll mean you're in the Premiership :P

Haha, no, I want Rangers out of that tournament because they take it too seriously.

It bothers me because Rangers always play their best team whilst trying to win another 3 tournaments at the same time. It can't be done! :)

But you'd need to be daft not to realise the Challenge Cup is a fake tournament designed to make money for the lower league team.

Hey, I'm in favour of it and I can understand why it's necessary. But for goodness sakes Rangers play your reserves! :)

Haha, no, I want Rangers out of that tournament because they take it too seriously.

It bothers me because Rangers always play their best team whilst trying to win another 3 tournaments at the same time. It can't be done! :)

But you'd need to be daft not to realise the Challenge Cup is a fake tournament designed to make money for the lower league team.

Hey, I'm in favour of it and I can understand why it's necessary. But for goodness sakes Rangers play your reserves! :)

My point is that's true of all of them. Nobody at the SPFL or SFA is putting on tournaments for the love of the game. It's all about the Benjamins (or whoever that lassie is on our money).

From a sporting point of view, it's to give the diddies a shot at winning a cup. Entry into the League and Scottish Cups is pointless for half of Scotland's clubs, other than from a financial point of view. Even Elgin and Montrose have a shot at winning the Challenge Cup, however, and everyone has a great day out, even if they like to pretend it means nothing to them.

I'm not convinced it would be some cunning trick to make "loadsa money".

Only the OF would bring much of a support with their U20s for a Petrofac Cup tie, IMO, but even then I doubt it would be "a few thousand" or have Sky queuing-up to televise it. Even if they restricted it to the Premiership top 6 you would be talking the likes of Inverness and St Johnstone this season. At the moment Rangers first-team are featuring in the tournament never mind their reserves, so they'll have to be discounted for the meantime, anyway...

I'm afraid don't like the idea of it myself... I think it would diminish and potentially demean what is a reasonable competition; and fans of part-time clubs aren't going to get excited about the idea of an away trip to Dundee Utd B (played where incidentally) or elimination at the hands of St Johnstone U20, let alone the Championship clubs or the possibility of Celtic B actually winning it. This cup represents the only realistic opportunity for small clubs to win a national trophy, or part-time clubs to reach SFs or Finals.

My other concern would be that after a couple of seasons, the call would be to admit B teams into the league itself.

Archived