Best Scottish Player Since 1990.

Craig Gordon is more a case of potential that was unfortunately hampered by injury. Goram actually followed through, and anyone would've been happy to have one of him.

Gordon's not finished yet, of course, but he's in the peak goalkeeping period. He'd probably need to end up at another club to be considered a bigger success than Goram, I think, as you're not going to get as far with Celtic now than you would've done with the old profligate Rangers (if that makes any sense). Without the injury, he'd probably be at one of the big clubs in Europe by now.

I take it you consider Goram's part in the 92/93 Champions' League run as the thing Gordon has not yet achieved?

For me, that is the one outstanding achievement in Goram's career. The rest of it was fairly unspectacular (though he made a few unforgettable saves)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it you consider Goram's part in the 92/93 Champions' League run as the thing Gordon has not yet achieved?

For me, that is the one outstanding achievement in Goram's career. The rest of it was fairly unspectacular (though he made a few unforgettable saves)

You'd take either of them at their best. However, Goram had about, what, seven years playing for the (admittedly doped financially) Scottish champions, with regular Champions League football. Craig Gordon's been at Hearts, then the bombscare that is Sunderland until the past season. Not his fault, but their careers don't stack up at all. I'm sure one of the bigger names would've snapped him up by now, had it not been for his problems.

I'd be pleased with either of them in a 1990+ Scotland side, but Goram's experience would tip the balance for me.

What about a squad of everyone who made their debut post-1990?

Craig Gordon, Allan McGregor, David Marshall

Allan Hutton, Christian Daily, Jackie McNamara, Gary Naysmith, Steven Pressley, Davie Weir, Colin Hendry

Shaun Maloney, Neil McCann, Darren Fletcher, Scott Brown, Paul Lambert, Gary McAllister, Ikechi Anya, Barry Ferguson

James McFadden, Kenny Miller, Steven Naismith, Steven Fletcher, Don Hutchison

We've really struggled for strikers, haven't we? Centre-mid being by far our strongest position, with the likes of Burley, McArthur, Hartley, Morrison, McCall and Colin Cameron missing out.

I'd probably have Tom Boyd and Stuart McCall in there.

Barry Ferguson was a fine player for Scotland, his performance v England at Wembley in 1999 where he dominated an English midfield consisting of Ince, Redknapp, Beckham and Scholes should tell you how effective a midfield player he was for Scotland. I don't think Lambert ever dominated an international game against such top class players in the way Ferguson did.

This. One of the finest performances I've seen from a scottish player and he was only a lad at the time. I think he could have played for one of the big 4 teams in England, but bizarrely chose Blackburn. And the rest,as they say, is history.

Ferguson, Collins and Gordon are the top 3 for me.

This. One of the finest performances I've seen from a scottish player and he was only a lad at the time. I think he could have played for one of the big 4 teams in England, but bizarrely chose Blackburn. And the rest,as they say, is history.

Ferguson, Collins and Gordon are the top 3 for me.

not bizzare at all as there was no choice involved - none of the big four were interested.

I think Ferguson, Fletcher and Hartley was our strongest midfield in years, but Ferguson was no better than average epl level

What about a squad of everyone who made their debut post-1990?

Craig Gordon, Allan McGregor, David Marshall

Allan Hutton, Christian Daily, Jackie McNamara, Gary Naysmith, Steven Pressley, Davie Weir, Colin Hendry

Shaun Maloney, Neil McCann, Darren Fletcher, Scott Brown, Paul Lambert, Gary McAllister, Ikechi Anya, Barry Ferguson

James McFadden, Kenny Miller, Steven Naismith, Steven Fletcher, Don Hutchison

We've really struggled for strikers, haven't we? Centre-mid being by far our strongest position, with the likes of Burley, McArthur, Hartley, Morrison, McCall and Colin Cameron missing out.

Kevin Gallacher must make this squad, surely.

Leaving out guys like Strachan, McLeish, Malpas, McLair... who were a wee bit before my time... and limiting it to players with 25+ caps.

Craig Gordon

Jim Leighton

Andy Goram

Christian Dailly

Alan Hutton

Stewart McKimmie

Gary Naysmith

Graham Alexander

Tom Boyd

Colin Hendry

Colin Calderwood

Davie Weir

Gary McAllister

John Collins

Paul LambertS

Scott Brown

Darren Fletcher

James Morrison

Paul Hartley

Pat Nevin

Neil McCann

Shaunn Maloney

Kevin Gallagher

Don Hutchison

James McFadden

Ally McCoist

Surprised at the love for Don Hutchison. He did well for Scotland, but it's not a name that would occur to me for a 1990+ squad. We have been chronically dry on quality strikers for a very long time now, but.

Naebdy thinking about big Duncan Disorderly based on club form? Can't say I ever saw the big deal myself, but they seemed to love him down at Everton for some reason.

Why would I pretend I supported a team other than the one I do? moron.

Who would you have as left back smart arse?

Tom Boyd, Gary Naysmith, Graham Alexander, Steven Whittaker, Callum Davidson, Tosh McKinlay, Lee Wallace, Ian Murray, Dominic Matteo, Stephen Crainey, Phil Bardsley, Charlie Mulgrew, Andrew Robertson, Rab McKinnon, Danny Fox, Kevin McNaughton and Paul Dixon

would all be in there before Davie "I'm in the huff" Roberston

Why would I pretend I supported a team other than the one I do? moron.

Who would you have as left back smart arse?

Because you have learning difficulties.

Robertson played 3 times for Scotland and you've picked him solely on his performances for your big team.

Above him would be Boyd, McKinlay and Naysmith.

Tosh McKinlay and Gary Naismith are the only ones you've brought up who are on a par. I've got Boyd at RB.

So you shunted someone who spent his club career playing left back and international career at centre back out to right back to bring in a player who played a coupla friendlies for Scotland with no distinction because of his club form....

yeah... sounds like a Clydebank fan

Archived