Ross County v Ayr United - League Cup 2nd Round

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not from what I've heard. Ayr caused problems!!!

Not really, they were well organised and motivated but not a shot on target in 90 minutes. County weren't at their best probably because Ayr were having a go but they kept possession, defended when they needed to and on another day would have scored a couple more. Maybe it was just the early goal but there wasn't a time when I thought we wouldn't win.

Relatively comfortable stuff against a fairly toothless Ayr. We weren't at our best, but we didn't really need to be. Although it was a bit of a shooting gallery in the second half. Tonight proved that our best attacking pairing is definitely Curran & Boyce... Graham just didn't do enough for my liking. Also, I can definitely see the need for a 4th striker. With Curran not even on the bench, our options were very limited tonight.

On another note, Ayr fans are a bit queer (only support I've ever heard just copy or join in with the other teams singing). I've also decided they're a bit scummy after one of them started lobbing cups of juice into the sponsor & wag section... which nearly hit my dearest mother. Cunto.

Thought we put a lot into the first half a popped it about well. Genuinely thought we were the better side first half.

Second half different animal. County came out after being pretty complacent and killed us off sharpish and it could have been more but we never gave up and flung bodies in front for the cause. The ref was rubbish for both sides but just before county's second I thought Forrest was blatantly fouled going through on goal. Perhaps county lads saw it better as it was at the east stand side. Anyway we weren't strong enough and didn't really look like winning. Our strikers need to get a better understanding but I thought we did awright overall. Lots to be positive about against a decent team

I thought he was excellent. He nearly scored as well first half. He and Gerry were very good so was gilmour who was the link man for everything and Fleming had a few good saves.Forrest did lots of nothing and Donald tried like f**k but was burst by quarter past nine. We looked tiny but fought hard enough and weathered a second half storm and got back in the game rather than folding and getting pumped.

On another note, Ayr fans are a bit queer (only support I've ever heard just copy or join in with the other teams singing). I've also decided they're a bit scummy after one of them started lobbing cups of juice into the sponsor & wag section... which nearly hit my dearest mother. Cunto.

I was in with the Ayr fans last night. I must have been 10 yards from the guy who chucked it, but I was watching the game so didn't see it. I thought it was funny that his group were protesting his innocence until the stewards pointed out the CCTV.

I thought Trouten was excellent before he went off injured. He was picking up good positions behind the back of County's midfield, arguably more so than any Premiership player has done since County started going 4-4-2 in February - Ryan Stevenson at Thistle in the 3-1 win was probably the only other. I thought he was going to make a clear cut chance for someone and I think he would have. He was so much more effective than Forrest was.

United reminded me of Brian Reid's Ayr when they were in Dingwall, in the way they could work the ball well to and around the final third but didn't have enough pace/strength/quality to get in behind. I think a Trouten+Moore combo would have tested County's defence greatly though.

Having said that, I thought Andrew Davies was excellent in his reading of the game. Jackson Irvine covered more ground than anyone else - and then some - and still looked composed while doing so. Scott Boyd doesn't look as imperious as Chris Robertson. Too much possession was given away by Jamie Reckord's balls down the channels - bread and butter for Craig Curran, but not for Brian Graham. Graham and Liam Boyce didn't hit it off, but it doesn't mean they won't in the future, Curran and Boyce have played a fair bit of football together now and know what the other is going to do. They're all here for two more years so I'm sure it'll click.

Ayr were impressive at times, well organised and gave County a real game. Fitness and quality told in the second half though.

Boyce really coming onto his game. Currens work rate is missed when he's not playing.

Yes you were much better than Killie.

Thought Ayr were the better team in the first half, without really threatening to score. Good possession and movement.

Job done for us.

Great goal from Midge. Rafa should have had two, how he missed that one at the far post god knows, all he had to do was touch it, seemed scared he would clatter the post. Jersey over head and hooked a few mins later for Dingwall, he looked pretty dejected. Maybe a goal will help get his confidence back, he has not been the same this season.

First 90mins for Graham, and I wasn't that impressed, but early days. We certainly missed Curran's work rate.

Davies and Robertson is our no1 pairing at the back, Boyd is going to be back-up this season.

Bachmann - did he have a save to make? Made a meal of a couple of clearances.

In the draw for tomorrow anyway.

Well done the travelling Ayr fans, the chap in the Kilt in Staggies bar said he left at 6am, thats some pub crawl.

I was in with the Ayr fans last night. I must have been 10 yards from the guy who chucked it, but I was watching the game so didn't see it. I thought it was funny that his group were protesting his innocence until the stewards pointed out the CCTV.

I did think at the time that I saw you wander down from there at one point (in a suit?).

No complaints about the result last night, played well but over the whole County had a bit more quality, only thing that doesn't sit right is the foul on Preston on the edge of the box not given which County naturally go up the park and score from.

Bachmann - did he have a save to make? Made a meal of a couple of clearances.

Two appearances and he hasn't had to make a save yet! Partly good fortune but partly his own doing, he came off his line quickly. He was lucky with a couple of clearances and fumbled a catch in the second half, he looked more assured against Hamilton.

I did think at the time that I saw you wander down from there at one point (in a suit?).

Straight from work. You know what I look like in a suit but you've never introduced yourself? Stalker.

Kindalikeit

Archived