Squad name face Georgia & Germany (September)

If Whittaker is playing every week for Norwich in the Premier and playing well then it is a no brainer for him to start ahead of Bombscare Hutton. I am not a fan of Whittaker at all but Our biggest problem is not picking players who are fit, in form and playing. Just because Hutton done well in the past and has played for us when not playing at Club level does not mean that should continue. There is obviously a reason he gets dropped all the time at Club level, ie he cant defend.

I see what people are saying about Fletcher but I just personally don't see it, I want to watch someone who looks like they care, Berbatov can get away with looking like he cant be arsed but Fletcher has no right to look the same when he cant even perform for dross like Sunderland.

Also, I cant see Hanley playing CB, I think Mulgrew and Martin will be there although knowing Strachan he will pick and start OAP Gordon Greer and justify it because Brighton have started the season well.........

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Whittaker is playing every week for Norwich in the Premier and playing well then it is a no brainer for him to start ahead of Bombscare Hutton. I am not a fan of Whittaker at all but Our biggest problem is not picking players who are fit, in form and playing. Just because Hutton done well in the past and has played for us when not playing at Club level does not mean that should continue. There is obviously a reason he gets dropped all the time at Club level, ie he cant defend.

I see what people are saying about Fletcher but I just personally don't see it, I want to watch someone who looks like they care, Berbatov can get away with looking like he cant be arsed but Fletcher has no right to look the same when he cant even perform for dross like Sunderland.

Also, I cant see Hanley playing CB, I think Mulgrew and Martin will be there although knowing Strachan he will pick and start OAP Gordon Greer and justify it because Brighton have started the season well.........

Is it our biggest problem? Considering they've hardly let us down when they have played. Or is it just what you think is our biggest problem? I'd say our biggest problem is the fact that we haven't produced a decent center-back in a long, long time. Your "problem" falls way down the list.

Reminds me of Jack Charlton questioning Alf Ramsey selecting him around the 1966 World Cup. He told him that he doesn't always pick the best players, he picks the players that he needs.

Rhodes and Fletcher should never ever play upfront for Scotland together. Unless it is against some diddy pub team like Gibraltar

Heard this said many times, but there's absolutely no evidence to suggest they shouldn't be paired together. Rhodes skills go beyond being an excellent finisher.

Heard this said many times, but there's absolutely no evidence to suggest they shouldn't be paired together. Rhodes skills go beyond being an excellent finisher.

How about the simple fact that accommodating both means losing a midfielder? No matter where you're playing Fletcher, he's not going to be coming back and mucking in when we're under pressure. Still more likely than Rhodes (the main reason why he hasn't played much for us), but it's essentially 4-4-2. We're not going to play two strikers, unless it's in a nothing game. We might if we qualify before playing Gibraltar, but even then, we'd be much better served playing a variant of the system we're actually going to be using when we play serious games, not just saying "one more striker = more goalz"

How about the simple fact that accommodating both means losing a midfielder? No matter where you're playing Fletcher, he's not going to be coming back and mucking in when we're under pressure. Still more likely than Rhodes (the main reason why he hasn't played much for us), but it's essentially 4-4-2. We're not going to play two strikers, unless it's in a nothing game. We might if we qualify before playing Gibraltar, but even then, we'd be much better served playing a variant of the system we're actually going to be using when we play serious games, not just saying "one more striker = more goalz"

We play 4231 and there's absolutely no reason why Fletcher can't play off the striker as a link man. It's his best position. Indeed when he's asked to play as a striker he's regularly deeper than the 3 who play behind him. The Anya goal in Dortmund, or the Maloney goal in Warsaw being prime examples. He's a must play because of his link up play, and ability to bring others into a game.

It's a game of opinions, and personally I believe playing Fletcher behind Rhodes is our best combination. Fletcher and Naismith don't combine well.

Guest DAVIDB69

We really need to start getting younger players into the squad and getting games but Strachan is not really interested in that.

The same people play game in game out without fail, yet another failed campaign to add to their cv giving them about 4 with the same squad

Still feel a play off defeat is where this campaign will probably end.

Yet Strachan will carry on regardless with the same squad and players for the next wc campaign .

We will then be getting towards Craig brown and the dads army territory at the end of his era with the squad

We really need to start getting younger players into the squad and getting games but Strachan is not really interested in that.

The same people play game in game out without fail, yet another failed campaign to add to their cv giving them about 4 with the same squad

Still feel a play off defeat is where this campaign will probably end.

Yet Strachan will carry on regardless with the same squad and players for the next wc campaign .

We will then be getting towards Craig brown and the dads army territory at the end of his era with the squad

Qualifying games aren't the place for fannying about and trying new things, leave that for the friendlies (even then, we could still do with the ranking points)

All well and good saying try things in Friendlies but even then he doesn't really try much, its the same 7/8 guys with 2 guys form squad who hardly start plus 1 new guy, he is reluctant to look beyond the favorites I think that is point David is trying to make and he is right.

Also, cannot stand the 1 Man team that is Wales but they have the right idea, they are desp to qualify so aren't playing pointless friendlies, seems to be working for them, however they also pick players in form and who play for their clubs, we don't...............

Why on earth would he start giving young guys a chance in squads when we are right in the he middle of a crucial qualifying campaign?????

Absolute heads gone stuff

Imagine a manager doing that at club level when his team were 4 games away from winning the league? Aye nae bather Courtouis/Cahill/Fabregas/Hazard you sit out this game I'm away to punt the young team on give them a chance.

Mental

Why on earth would he start giving young guys a chance in squads when we are right in the he middle of a crucial qualifying campaign?????

Absolute heads gone stuff

Imagine a manager doing that at club level when his team were 4 games away from winning the league? Aye nae bather Courtouis/Cahill/Fabregas/Hazard you sit out this game I'm away to punt the young team on give them a chance.

Mental

This^^

While in theory I agree that it's good to have a couple of youth players. It's not like our team is full of 35 year olds. I quite like Strachan bringing one or two youths along to be part of the squad but not playing.

Most of our players are in their 'prime' age which is kind of what you'd expect from a national team, The best squad of players playing at the highest possible level. If we had some precocious talent bossing a decent league then by all means throw him in but there doesn't seem to be anyone matching that description.

At some point though we'll need to call up another centre half and I've no idea who that could possibly be.

Ritchie looked great against Liverpool the other night. Non stop graft, skint a few players and put countless good balls into the box. Just a pity no Bournemouth players wanted to attack them. Has an eye for goal as well. Definitely changed my opinion of him.

I reckon this'll be it:

GK
Craig Gordon
David Marshall
Scott Bain (in for Samson)
DF
Christophe Berra
Craig Forsyth
Gordon Greer
Alan Hutton
Russell Martin
Charlie Mulgrew
Grant Hanley (in for Reynolds)
Andrew Robertson
Steven Whittaker
MF
Charlie Adam
Ikechi Anya
Graham Dorrans (favoured over Barry Bannan simply because he's a first pick EPL player at the mo)
Scott Brown
Darren Fletcher
James Forrest
Shaun Maloney
James McArthur
James Morrison
Matt Ritchie
FW
Steven Fletcher
Leigh Griffiths
Steven Naismith
Johnny Russell/Tony Watt/Jordan Rhodes
Possible surprise callups:
Kenny McLean
Stewart Armstrong

Interesting that not many seem to be concerned about bombscare Hutton not getting any game time yet again yet will be a first choice for Scotland? Did anyone miss his terrible performance against Ireland?

Never missed it. I watched it along with 8 other terrible performances. Mulgrew and Marshall the only 2 to come out of that with pass marks, Maloney aswell as Anya when he came on maybe. His one big mistake was against Poland, that was a bad one. Other than that he has been a great player for us over the years. Played the full 900 minutes for us in the last QC when he wasnt playing at all for Villa.

Im not concerned in the slightest, no. I think it may just be Whittaker and Robertson come Georgia though.

When is the squad to be announced?

Archived