Scottish Cup Journey

MadSounds

Just posted this in the Amateur Forum ... Bit of a shameless plug for my now second post. I've started a blog to chart my journey from Preliminary Round 1, all the way to the final at Hampden for this years Scottish Cup.

I know quite a few people have done this before in Scotland and England so it's nothing groundbreaking, but I hope to make it as interesting as possible. Spoke to Harestanes AFC a few weeks ago and subsequently wrote a piece on the club (the first amateur club to play in the cup).

First match for me is Harestanes v Girvan on Saturday. If you like it please share, if not please feel free to tell me it's a pile of shite.

Cheers.

Blog - https://scottishcupadventure.wordpress.com

It's a pile of.......

Enjoyed reading it actually - nice to read about the new teams coming into the Scottish Cup set-up and wish them well.

However, although you compared their ethos with the top- flight clubs (companies) it strikes me that they are not that different in outlook to 90% of the clubs that take part in the Scottish Cup, and they're not the first amateur team to enter.

I'll be looking out for their score on Saturday but will also be interested from a Girvan pov and also keeping an eye on neighbours like Wigtown.

Will you get a ticket easily for the final??

It's a pile of.......

Enjoyed reading it actually - nice to read about the new teams coming into the Scottish Cup set-up and wish them well.

However, although you compared their ethos with the top- flight clubs (companies) it strikes me that they are not that different in outlook to 90% of the clubs that take part in the Scottish Cup, and they're not the first amateur team to enter.

I'll be looking out for their score on Saturday but will also be interested from a Girvan pov and also keeping an eye on neighbours like Wigtown.

Will you get a ticket easily for the final??

Cheers, appreciate that.

Hoping so - there always seems to be empty seats and I think only a Celtic v Rangers final would sell out, or potentially one of them facing Hibs or Hearts.

Yea I agree, it was just refreshing to get back to basics and speak to the people involved at grassroots level. Especially with it being away from the Hollywood feels of the Premier League for myself.

Good luck on the journey. Haven't read the article yet: is your plan to start with Harestanes then follow whoever eliminates them, and so on all the way to the final, or just take your pick in each round?

Also as noted Glasgow Uni are not the first Amateurs to play in the cup, although they are the first to qualify by merit of winning the Amateur Cup.

Good luck on the journey. Haven't read the article yet: is your plan to start with Harestanes then follow whoever eliminates them, and so on all the way to the final, or just take your pick in each round?

Also as noted Glasgow Uni are not the first Amateurs to play in the cup, although they are the first to qualify by merit of winning the Amateur Cup.

Thanks mate. That's it exactly - follow whoever eliminates Harestanes and so forth. Hoping to build up from grassroots and catch some of the bigger clubs along the way.

Every club which won the cup before 1892 were by definition amateurs - and a number of Senior and Junior clubs still are today, not just Queen's Park of the SPFL.

However saying it in this sort of context would normally mean clubs playing in Amateur leagues. Harestanes aren't the first, as there is actually an SFA member club playing in an amateur league who still enters every season - Glasgow University - and until a few years ago Burntisland Shipyard were in a similar position.

Before that you have to go back a few decades but you got the likes of Glasgow Corporation Transport, Vale of Atholl, Shawfield, Babcock & Wilcox (who also played in the Renfrewshire Cup) and so on - and before the war there were even more including e.g. Murrayfield who preferred local amateur football to the EOS League.

Cheers, appreciate that.

Hoping so - there always seems to be empty seats and I think only a Celtic v Rangers final would sell out, or potentially one of them facing Hibs or Hearts.

lol wut

Hearts in a Scottish Cup Final = sell out

• 1 month later...

Archived